“A Very Good Ending To An Even ing of Shopping” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 93 restaurants in Cheektowaga
Cuisines: American
Toronto, Ontario
“A Very Good Ending To An Even ing of Shopping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I stopped in at Taps, on the southwest (I think) corner of the Walden Galleria, after a busy Friday evening of shopping. Taps was, in effect, a ‘default’ choice, as our car was parked in that corner, and because most of the other restaurants at the mall, more to the northwest corner, seemed to be too busy and/or expensive.

A quick check of the menu indicated that Taps had a range of burgers, pasta, salads and a few entrees at reasonable prices, and a glance around established that no line-up would have to be endured. We were quickly shown to a table that seemed to be in a bit of a busy area, our request for a booth was graciously met. Although the booth table approached uncomfortably broad, the high seat back and wall provided an acceptable environment for quiet people to have a conversation.

My wife chose a Mexican salad thing; it must have been a ‘special’, because I don’t recognize it on the online menu. It was served in a taco bowl, and met the witty old beer commercial standard of having about 6,000 calories, despite being called a salad. I’m exaggerating, of course, but it was based on a baked taco shell, and the fried ground beef, cheese, etc, easily topped the green stuff by any criteria: weight, volume, mass, visual effect... Everything that was supposed to be fresh was fresh, everything that was supposed to be warm was warm; she reported that it was very good, with the only complaint being that, for her taste, she would have preferred a bit more of a ‘salad’ balance.

I ordered the Fra Diavolo, pasta with scallops and shrimp and a tomato sauce. I found it thoroughly enjoyable, although, I swear, several days post-meal, that it also included slices of sausage—what I’d consider a bonus. With amusement, I’d note that the menu describes the sauce as a ‘slightly spicy’ tomato sauce: I’d assess that, while way short of ‘suicide’, the sauce was well beyond ‘slightly’. I’m not complaining, just forewarning, as it did surprise me. Perhaps that's the Buffalo standard.

Service, including check-out, was friendly and efficient. Our bill seemed fairly reasonable, ending up in the $40-$45 range, although that included a glass of wine for my wife; I stuck to pop on this evening.

All in all, I give 'Taps' a solid passing grade.

• Visited November 2012