“Nice stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
NC
“Nice stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here the night before we flew out. Nice room and great shuttle. I turned in my rental car the night before and took shuttle from airport and then we took it again in the morning for an early flight. driver was nice and it only took minutes to the airport. Breakfast was good/hot and staff was friendly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Travel: 19th January 2013. x 2 nights
131 Buell Avenue, Cheektowaga NY 14225 - Phone 716-631-8700 and website www.hiexbuffaloairport.com

Straight up - join the Priority Club there are additional benefits* subject to availability that you receive.

There are a number of alternative room types available at this Hotel, single stay up to families of 5 and more (we seen them at Breakfast). This is a non-smoking hotel.

Upon booking this room we were TOLD at that time to find the hotel phones at the airport and call them; they will send the complimentary shuttle to collect us (which is 24/7) from the Buffalo Airport.
This was great information to have as it let us know that a) there was a shuttle available and b) that we could contact them by an airport phone upon our arrival.

Finding the phones at Buffalo was a little tricky at first but there was plenty of staff to give advice.

We contacted the hotel and the lady was polite and friendly, immediately welcoming us to Buffalo and asking if we had a nice flight. The lady than took our name and asked us to wait for the Hotel shuttle at the shuttle stops.
**Now if you know definitely what times you flights will arrive give this to the Hotel and they will be waiting for you there. We were on standby for this flight so we had no way of knowing; which is why they were not waiting.

Within 15 minutes of calling the Shuttle had arrived and a lovely gent popped out to great us; welcoming us and confirming how to pronounce our names. He insisted on loading our luggage into the back of the ushering us inside to the warm heater. This was earlier winter and fortunately for us it had a light snow starting.

As we started back to the Hotel we asked a few 'local' questions and he was only too happen to answer us.

Upon driving upto the hotel we were eagerly looking at the outside of the hotel. It was clean, maintained, well kept and an American Holiday In style. It was 4 levels at that time from memory.
We were stopped under the entry carport/foyer and moved inside with out bags.

The foyer was very clean. The first thing I noticed was the fireplace (it was two way). This faced out into the foyer and with the great design to also heat the room on the other side. That room was used for breakfast, tv lounge and sitting area. It was the sitting area that was closest to the this fire place.

On the right is a huge mirror and some tables. To the left is the Reception / check in -out desk.

Again the staff were very kind and were only too happy to answer our questions.

Checked in seemed easy and efficient.
Always keep your credit card close and safe; there is not signing of anything at that point with the credit card. It is up to staff to correctly enter the hold amounts - so ensure that they get this right.

As part of the priority club we were offered a selection from the arrival snack basket;
staff explained the following features to us at check in:
- there was a 'business centre' (made up of two computers, one printer & i think a fax) around to the right.
- Breakfast is part of the room rates here and is served in that room there - pointing to the room with the 2-way fire place. (times were like 5.30 to 9 or something but check)
- There is the TV for social use.
- Inside the room is also unlimited access to tea, coffee, hot chocolate and limited selection of other little bits during your stay
- There is a gym and pool on the premises. The pool times were told to us [I can't remember now]
- The shuttle bus operates from the hotel to the airport you can either call down or pop down to arrange a lift.

Than we were given our room details and again as a PRIORITY club member there was availability for an upgrade to a Jacuzzi Suites that has extras like a microwave, refrigerator, stand up shower and Jacuzzi tub!
(That was from a King Room)

The lifts were in order and there were a number of flyers, brochures, events, guides and local information stands along the way from the Reception to the lift.

Upon entering our suite it was lovely surprise.
There was a lounge and coffee table to the right and than the work station up against the first wall.
Opposite this was a bureau and TV set on top.
The hall was started with the kitchenette facitilies that included the microwave, fridge, sink, kettle and some cupboards with utensils and the like inside
The bathroom was next along the way and inside to the immediate right was a shower, and the jacuzzi next to the shower. Opposite the door was the bathroom basin. Up around to the Left was to the toilet that had its own door.

Continuing down the hall was the sleeping area. This was a massive bed, and another table and bureau with a smaller TV on top.
There were bedside tables either side of the bed with lights, on one side was the radio and phone. To the end of the room was the window with both sheer curtains and black out curtains.

Inside the room:
Lounge was 7.5/10 clean as there was crumbs of something on the lounge.
The coffee table had a drink wet stain on it too. Nothing too major.

The Kitchen:
4/10 for the microwave - it was up into the cupboard area and disgusting inside.! It was like someone had put an uncovered bowl of tomato spaghetti inside and than added cheese which was still splattered over the sides and roof.
The sink 5/10 was wiped but still not actually cleaned out, it had bits in the drain and a couple of pieces stuck to the sides.
Fridge worked well and was plenty of room 8./10 and was clean

Bathroom:
Shower was gross! I am extremely picky let me point that out but I had my own detol (which is Australian disinfectant) and used this before I got in. There was yellow stains on the floor, and other stains I did not dare touch on the the sides.
Water: was cold - the hot water did not get pass a warm cup of tea. I had run the water standing there shivering for 7 minutes, which I know because the other half come in and said come on I'm cold let me in you 've been in for 7 minutes as I had said let me go first I'll only take 5 minutes. This was not good. Given that it was winter.
The water temperature is an issue. 1/10 if you turned the cold water off you got a hotter shower but lost pressure.

Jacuzzi:
I did wipe over with my detol but ultimately was well cleaned. The water in the jacuzzi was steaming hot once it was started up. Too hot to actually sit in = had to wait for it too cool.
Irony - shower to cool and jacuzzi too hot - but it did cool

the Toilet:
tidy.

Bedroom comfort: 2/10
The room itself was freezing - even with the heat turned all the wa up. We brought this to attention and it was looked at for us; and they even asked permission if they could send someone in without us being there.

The noise and wind from outside was just the environment but if you are easily disturbed get a room at the back not the front of the hotel. It was windy, howling and whistling wind at night.

Internet:
Power kept tripping out because of the snow coming through - which caused the phone not to work at times; and thus no internet.
It was very hard to access the internet even when it was working - very slow.

TV:
The electronic guide on the tv did not match the paper hardcopy provided in the room. Being out of the States, it was hard to work out what was what or what was on during the late night when we tried to relax to watch tv.

This was annoying.

BREAKFAST:
It was extremely disappointing that there was only a banana for vegetarian/vegans. That was it.
Looking at all the other options it had some sort of animal product clearly in it or an ingredient that was animal. It was all sugar, fatty food solids, cream, bacon, bread items with eggs and such in them all.

Even the juice was not juice - it was a fruit drink with things listed in it that neither myself, my partner, nor the 3 staff could work out.

There was a variety of tea options in the drinks.

The fact that there was only bananas the only fruit available really disappointing.
Gym: was well decked out
Pool: heated we were told (we did NOT use it) when we went there were kids jumping all around the place.

Vending machines were just outside the pool/gym area
Staff:
Brenda S rating overall for service, politeness and helpfulness 9/10
Brenda was on duty and gave many tips on the local areas and sightseeing opportunities

Bus driver, was fantastic! Great great person and loves his job.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for one night before an early flight from Buffalo airport. We enjoyed our stay. The price isn't the best, but the hotel is worth it.

We were able to have a great nights sleep. The rooms are very clean an updated and the bed and pillows are very comfortable.

I didn't have any trouble with the shower or ac like the others. Everything was working well. The only thing i could say i didn't like was that i requested a wake up call at 4am and they called me at 1:30am and 4am. But, things like that happen anywhere.

I can't say anything about restaurants in the area within walking distance because we had a car. The only thing i saw not to far away (maybe a 10 min walk) was a McDonalds.

Overall, i would definitely stay there again if i fly out from Buffalo again.

• Stayed June 2013
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Two nights in this hotel and, if we have any choice, not again. The hotel itself is OK; the staff are competent and seem well-trained, but management is lacking. We could not get the phone to work, and the bathroom tap was leaking. On leaving the hotel in the morning, we notified the front desk. On returning that evening, nothing had been done. No-one had come to check on the problems and there had been no attempt to fix anything. So how do we get a 4:00 a.m. wakeup call without a working phone?
You should also be aware that there are no restaurants or food establishments of any kind nearby. If you don't have a car, you won't be eating.
Avoid this hotel; there are better, similar-priced hotels nearby where the guest's comfort and service requirements are taken seriously.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Adox,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on this visit particularly with the amenities malfunctioning. Your feedback will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Pam G
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Holiday inn (priority group hotels) has always been my choice in the past few years (19000 priority points so far) but this hotel was well been below par.
Booked two nights stay with my family and promised never to return to this one.
Checked in late and went to bed but the room was so hot because the air-conditioning was not working. The shower drain was almost completely blocked after the first and second person had their shower.
I went to the reception to complain and was told a maintenance guy would be up shortly. An elderly man came on time with his white bucket containing his tools and where did he put the bucket; not on the floor but straight on the “BED” next to where my son was sleeping.
He was able to fix the AC which was nice. Next thing he said that he would be back later to fix the drain. Not sure why but the AC fix was done under 15mins.
Well, the drain had completely emptied by now except for the scum so we had to wash the bath tub for my kids to have their shower. We then went out for the day.
On our return in the evening; we checked the drain, it had been fixed but all the scum was left and guess what, the “GARBAGE” in the room was not emptied at all.
This time we wanted to speak with the manager but met another lady complaining about her room as well. Very slow drainage from the bath tub and the garbage was not cleaned out. So I did the same as well including the maintenance job.
The desk decided to move us to a room just opposite us. Nice move, the lady apologized and said she would get us the access cards to the room.
We waited for about thirty mins and there was no sign of her so we went down again and asked for her. We were told she was on break. Oh nice. Well, we eventually got the room cards; my wife and I said good luck with their business.
We checked out in the morning and vowed never to return. No business is perfect but if the business is not ready for the public, they should not be accommodate more that they can handle even at $149 a night. Ouch…Thanks

Room Tip: A bit noisy due to the airport next door. This will affect your early morning sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear lightzoom,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the service as well as the condition of the room you received. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Jaime W
Missoula, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

As I pulled under the entryway to register, the hotel's shuttle bus, pulled up and blocked my access to the entrance. Additionally, I had to make my way through a haze of cigarette smoke, as there was a group of smokers outside the front entrance. Not the way I like to begin at any hotel. The breakfast is good and the room was clean and comfortable. We wish the housekeeping staff would use their " inside voices" and maybe not cause such a ruckus on Saturday morning. We don't get to sleep in that often.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear ChefJimG,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you encountered some issues with the hotel shuttle, conduct of our housekeeping staff and apologize for the unusual smell you encountered. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have stayed here many times. It was always my first choice when staying over to catch a flight the next day. I was disappointed, The front desk staff were abrupt and unfriendly. The hotel needs badly updating. The room was clean, with a flat screen TV. The breakfast okay. The airport shuttle service, and parking is still great...and the drivers excellent, but unfortunately this is not enough to keep the me coming here. There are a lot of newer (relatively same price) hotels now sprouting up in this area (including one just opening next door). This hotel needs an overhaul in front desk staff, and decor to compete.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Cashmra,

Ben J
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport? Share your experiences!