“Comfortable rooms, great food and top-notch service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crabtree's Kittle House

You added Crabtree's Kittle House to your Saves list
Crabtree's Kittle House
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   11 Kittle Road, Chappaqua, NY 10514 (Formerly Inn at Kittle House)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Chappaqua B&B and Inns
prenloe
“Comfortable rooms, great food and top-notch service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Kittle House while attending a close friend's wedding. I was immediately impressed with the staff's willingness to go out of their way to make my stay pleasant.

My wife and I arrived in the New York area after a long, cross-country redeye flight. I was expecting that the Kittle House, like most inns and hotels, would make us wait until the check-in time to go to our room. Rose, the innkeeper, was extremely friendly and immediately showed us to our room.

The rooms were comfortable and featured the same general amenities that you would expect from a small inn. The continental breakfast was more than your typical bagel and orange juice affair, featuring fresh fruit, yogurt, fresh eggs and other atypical items.

I had an opportunity to experience the food at the reception and it was top-notch. I especially enjoyed the lamb ragout. The service was impeccible and helpful, which I have found to not be the case at a lot of high-end restaurants. My only regret is that I did not get to explore the wine selection that I came to hear a lot about.

If you are in the New York area or are looking to travel for a quiet vacation, I highly recommend the Kittle House.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

i spent a night at the inn with several business folks I work with. I stayed in a very comfortable and recently renovated room. There was a beautiful view of the backyard garden and the Mt Kisco Country Club golf course. I noticed during my stay that several rooms were being renovated. What we enjoyed the most was the convenience of walking downstairs to perhaps the best restaraunt I have eaten at in the past 10 years. In the morning there was a complimentary contiental breakfast which made a good start for the day. The hotel/inn is very conventially located near the Saw Mill parkway and an easy distance into NYC. I was surprised to see the negative reviews....we were all satisfied with our stay particularly when we compared the price to other hotels in the area!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

This hotel/inn was dirty, devoid of amenities like glasses in the bathroom, uncomfortable, noisey and out of touch with the term hospitality. First, they screwed up a confirmed, in writing reservation. Then when they said they would "take care of us" they ignored the opportunity to pick up a snack bill from their bar. Although they profess to have a "fabulous" kitchen the breakfast was devoid of any homemade anythings and the coffee was less then just ok.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Chappaqua hotels

Landenberg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed at this inn following a friend's wedding reception, which was held at the Kittle House. We "splurged" by staying at this inn because we hadn't been away overnight by ourselves in 2 years! Given how elegant the reception was and how first-class the food, we were surprised and disappointed to find the inn just OK. As other guests mentioned, the inn was dated, the hallways dingy and creeky, and the rooms musty. The green tile in the bathroom looked like something from a house in the 50s, and there was rust around the drain. The bed was not comfortable, and the pillows were flat bricks (my husband is someone who can sleep anywhere and never complains, but on the way home, he commented about the horribly uncomfortable pillows). I was a little bit repulsed by the blankets and didn't think the floor looked clean. And while this can happen anywhere, regardless of cleanliness, it wasn't a good "welcome" to see a stink bug clinging to the curtains when we entered the room for the first time! I should also mention that the bar was extremely expensive ($10 for a beer) and the bar menu was limited and also very pricey ($15 burgers seemed were the cheapest eats). The free continental breakfast was the best part of the stay: fresh fruit, pastry, cereal, coffee, juice, hard-boiled eggs, cheeses, etc. (very European-style) in a bright, airy dining room. I strongly urge the inn staff to freshen up this tired, old place so that the inside accomodations match the beautiful, stately exterior.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ossining, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

When my wife and I first came to the area to interview at a nearby major corporation, they put us up at the Kittle House. We were expecting a corporate standard hotel, and were delighted by the small inn atmosphere and the incredibly friendly staff. It was a good start to our relocation, as my wife got the job and is now a senior manager. Since then, we have sent hundreds of corporate visitors to the Kittle House and they have never been disappointed.

The Inn operation is really a sideline to the very good (and expensive) gourmet restaurant and wine cellar. They have no reservation system, whoever answers the phone just looks in a notebook and literally pencils you in. In our many experiences with the Inn, we've had a few minor misunderstandings but they have been quickly cleared up with apologies and corrections.

The Inn is small and very old. The rooms vary in size from huge to fairly small, and you never know what you are going to get. The bathrooms had to be fit into odd spaces in the old structure, so vary widely and certainly aren't Hilton standard. If you want a Hilton, book a Hilton.

We've never had any issues with cleanliness or mechanical problems, and our visitors have never reported any concerns, but the place is old and cannot be polished to perfection. It is a real country inn, and the furnishings, trim and systems reflect its history.

There are two minor issues one should be aware of before staying here. On certain nights, Thursday to Sunday if I recall correctly, they have music in the main dining room, and it will permiate through the building. They will warn you about it when you make the reservation. The music will end by a reasonable hour and while audible, isn't too objectionable.

Second, the restaurant is wonderful, but not ideal if you arrive and want a quick bite before turning in. The staff will be happy to recommend more casual places, but they are all several miles away, not very convenient if you arrived by cab.

We've placed visitors at just about every hotel within 20 miles of Chappaqua/Mt Kisco, and the Kittle House has by far been the most popular, and at prices significantly lower than many of the corporate chains. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I stayed on the third floor of the Kittle House. The two rooms I saw on the second floor looked comfortable. But the room on the third floor where I slept was overpriced for what it offered. The best I can say about it was that it was clean.

In the room, the pillows and bed both were rock hard -- neither I nor my guest could sleep. The room smelled like bug spray, too, and the towels were the rough quality that you would find in a budget inn.

Then, I was disappointed with the customer service. The valet staff rushes you, and the people are not friendly when you ask questions. The waiters come across as rude, too.

Had I chosen a budget inn to save money, I would expect the kind of experience that I had at the Kittle House.

The breakfast at the inn was enjoyable, however, and the overall historic atmosphere is unique. I just feel they overcharge for the rooms and take advantage of guests.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

I recently spent two nights at the recently renovated Kittle House and found it to be delightful, and a bargain. The service was very courteous, and my room was quaint...very clean, spacious and light. A real country inn feel. The restaurant has just been completely renovated, and is beautiful, maintaining the historic charm, with a more modern feel. we ate there one night and the food, wine etc were superb. There is a young new chef (don't remember his name) whose food was great. The entire Kittle House had a younger feel to it, than when we last visited a few years ago.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Crabtree's Kittle House? Share your experiences!