“The worst hotel I've ever been to in my entire life - DON'T STAY HERE!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Friar Tuck Resort, Spa and Convention Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Catskill
Friar Tuck Resort, Spa and Convention Center
4858 Route 32, Catskill, NY 12414   |
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Catskill
New York City, New York
“The worst hotel I've ever been to in my entire life - DON'T STAY HERE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

NEVER STAY HERE! The manager of this hotel needs a serious customer service and hospitality lesson!! Read on...

Room- The sheets/blankets looked unwashed and the blankets even had what looked like pubic hairs stuck between the fibers. The bathroom was despicable - mold EVERYWHERE even on the shower curtain.

Food- The food was TERRIBLE!!! We had pizza for lunch and I’ve never in my entire life had a worse pizza – the cheese was rubbery and congealed, no sauce, and stale crust. I’ve had better pizza in India which goes to show you just how terrible this was. For dinner, we ate at the only restaurant in the hotel and the food was extremely overpriced and horrendous. The wine was cheap. I could’ve have stayed in the city and had a delicious gourmet 5 star meal for the same price.

Décor- The hotel is very outdated – everything is faded and dusty with cobwebs...the furniture/couches are falling apart..the place has a very cheesy medieval times theme. The walls are very thin and we heard a ‘banging” sound all night long.

Location - 50 dollar cab ride from Hunter Mountain = crappy location

Fortunately, we booked for 2 nights and were easily able to cancel the 2nd night.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I booked a few days at this place because when I was a kid I used to come every summer with my parents. Oh how times have changed...but in 30 years I don't think anything has been renovated at this place. We reserved a room with a living room and kitchen. The room was disgusting. It was dirty and there were ants. I requested a crib for my son which I did not dare let him sleep in. The sidewalks around the pool were all cracked and dangerous for children. I was so disappointed that we stayed one night and left. I would have left the same day that we arrived but I didn't want to put my 2 year old back in the car fo another three hours to return home. Find someplace else to stay!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

I have been going to this resort for a few years and I have always slid on the pool deck as the tiles are from the 70s and not graded. It is like a skating rink! You take your life in your hands walking across it...believe me, you will see people slip sliding all over the place. Well it finally happened to me...I FELL on their wet tile and totally shattered my wrist so bad, I was in the hospital for three days and had to have major surgery. I will NEVER EVER go back here again....what is even worse is the day I fell, they were NOT INSURED!! I am now suffering with probably permanent damage and all the bills that go with it thanks to this totally irresponsible resort. What if someone drowned in their pool that day? STAY CLEAR FROM THIS PLACE!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
long island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I have no idea what the preceding reviews were talking about. The resort was not any thing they were talking about. My wife and I were spending a few days in the area and decided on the resort after viewing the buildings and meeting the manager Donna, we were set and wanted to stay. My wife and I are very particular as to choosing a place to spend a vacation.

The condo was "CLEAN AND WELL KEPT". We were treated courteously. We did notice the staff could not do enough to make the guests feel relaxed while on vacation.

We recommend this resort highly and hope you take the time to visit with them and see for yourself.

I also learned the resort has given the area over 30 years of service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
long island ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Went to a winter weekend getaway at the Friar Tuck. This is an old rundown ski resort. The rooms are dingy, very basic (not even an iron) and far far away from the main lobby. Anytime I wanted to go to the bar, pool, lobby it was a hike. I started just wearing sneakers all the time because everything was a powerwalk away! Also this place is very deserted and scary in areas. You take your life into your hands when walking from your room to civilization.The food wasn't bad, I must say. The staff is very accomodating. There were these two little young guys that came whenever you called for anything, they were nice. The bartender (also a young girl with a ponytail) was awesome! I went to the spa for a message, was very easy to get an appointment. WOW, the spa is like a whole other hotel!!! It's beautiful and huge. I saw George for the massage and OMG it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So amazing I had to hike back to my room to take a nap. Thanks George!! I really feel that the old side of the Inn will need to be demolished soon because it is beyond restoration.

• Stayed March 2010
Long Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

okay, first when we got there i was so psyced because my parents told me that this place was really creppy and has a lot of history so i was really interested. when we were driving around to look for our room we fell in a ditch and our car got soaked in mud and dirt and snow. when i walked in, i couldn't believe how old everything looked. the lanterns were covered in mold,dust even spiders. also in the lobby, the couches were practically in shreds because of their age. when they gave us our room key, by the way it really is an old fashioned key not a plastic card, we couldnt find our room. they told us to go one way and then another person told us another way. when we finally got into the room, it smelt of mold and just a weird smell. the beds didnt even have clean sheets on them;they were stained. and the bathroom shower curtain had mold and dust on it. apparently, this is how it is in all the rooms. the food however was not the worst. the first night we stayed, it was pretty delicious. the next few days it sucked. the dinner was cheap and the service was rediculous. the best part was that Windom was a half hour away so we went skiing for 2 days. overall, i ask you to please not stay here, you're just wasting your money and your time. believe me. the room was incredibly small, and the bathroom, forget it. i do not recomend this "hotel"

• Stayed February 2009
Western Ireland, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

Dont stay here ever. the place was way to outdated, but thats the best part!!! its plain creepy and eery, reminded me of the shining!! and how can they call themselves a resort and spa? this is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from bein a spa.
when we checked in, the place seemed deserted and awful and they put us up in a room right back at the very end of the hotel. if we would have a stayed for 2 weeks, we stil would not have known where the room was!!! the rooms were sooooooooo icey cold, even with the heater on. such a joke. and forget about the food.... it was theee worst ever.
im sorry, but this "hotel" is the worst i have ever stayed in. i coudnt wait to get home. the place gave us the creeps and everytime i think of friar tuck, i get a horrible feeling and the shivers.
you've been warned..............

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Friar Tuck Resort, Spa and Convention Center? Share your experiences!