“Friendy & central” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carle Place
Northern Ireland
“Friendy & central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed 2 weeks 10th - 24th August this year. Arrived from Dublin at 9pm NY time (7 hour flight) with hubby & 13 year old son. Shattered. Booked room through Booking.com. Having read lots of other reviews on Trip Advisor we asked for a second floor room at back of hotel overlooking the pool. We got a grotty downstairs room looking onto a busy car park! Air conditioner unit was so old & noisy that I slept on the bathroom floor for coolness & peace!
HOWEVER, next morning I pleaded my case to the lovely Christian at front desk. He said this often happened with 3rd party (Booking.com) bookings - they had set rooms to offer & just ignore client requests! He immediately moved us to the second floor / pool view etc.
I had emailed the manager Allen before we left asking for a big room etc as we were staying so long. There were no suites available so he assured us of the best room available & gave us a fridge & microwave unit free of charge. He was most apologetic that the plan hadn't come together on the first night.
We had a most pleasant stay I am very surprised at the previous negative reviews - unless they stayed in that one grotty room we did the first night! Yes, it could do with new carpets in the hallways but there were so many positives. Rooms were so clean - maids did an excellent job. The 2 lifts were quick & very clean. The guest laundry room was a Godsend! Reception staff were warm, friendly & genuinely seemed to care that we had a good time. They were full of advice & tips - and craic! They printed train & bus timetables for us, phoned taxi companies for prices, recommended restaurants, entertainment & shopping and just couldn't do enough.
The pool was a little oasis of calm in the busy area - clean & well maintained. Surrounded by mature trees & shrubs etc. Yes, there were a party of lads who checked in on a Saturday & were quite boisterous in the pool. It made it a little uncomfortable for us & the other family there but I have no doubt of I had complained to the management they would have been ousted! Pool opening times were clearly shown & seemed to be flexible to a certain degree.
The restaurant was very good - basic food but plentiful & reasonably priced. Service excellent - as usual.
Hotel is situated in a busy area / on a busy main road. Rooms are mainly to the back of the hotel & well sound proofed so you hardly hear a thing. It is close to a few good Outlet stores & quite a few restaurants etc. Bus stop right outside the door & Long Island Rail Road just a short walk away (taking you into NY in 40 minutes for just $8 - one way adult fare).
Jones beach is a 20 min / $35 taxi ride away (for 3 people - they charge per person here) - and WELL worth visiting. Hurricane Sandy blew the boardwalk & restaurants etc away in October but it is well rebuilt & facilities great. You don't have to pay to get on to the huge, beautiful, well kept beach (unlike $12 for Long beach which only has the boardwalk rebuilt but no facilities rebuilt). We got buses home (one connection) at just $2.50 per bus per ride - regardless of journey length - but it took an hour. Bus drivers all very helpful to us dumb tourists!
We had a great holiday here. All in all the only thing that would have made our stay better would have been having a one bed suite - but there weren't any available at time of booking.
Not the most palatial hotel I have ever stayed in but certainly one of the friendliest. And for Long Island / NY it is reasonably priced for the facilities & location.

Room Tip: See room tips - second floor with pool view best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kelliann H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear GD542013 ,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a detailed review about your stay, it is greatly appreciated.

I apologize that the room type you requested was not available during your stay but am delighted to hear that we were able to accommodate you with a different room throughout your stay. We strive to provide the best customer service for our guests and a clean and friendly environment that all our guests can enjoy while they are at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a great experience at our location and look forward to seeing you when you are in New York again.

Kelliann Horak
Front Office Manager
(516) 997-5000 ext 421
khorak@hiwestbury.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

To be fair, the hotel stay was fine -- meaning the room and overall the staff, the breakfast, the location -- all that was fine. We stayed for 9 days, during which time we came to attend a huge family party but unfortunately, also then had to attend the very untimely funeral for a loved one. But having someone just ENTER YOUR ROOM at 10:30pm without knocking or calling was bizarre. It was a hotel worker -- saying he came to remove a fridge/microwave we had requested upon checkin. We were just over halfway thru the trip, and this STRANGE and SPOOKY intruder just walked in. Thankfully nothing awful happened but imagine that. Very very odd. Saw his (short stocky latino guy) in the lobby again the next day -- but being busy with mourning services, had to quickly move on... then upon checkout, when we emptied our safe (they keep the safety deposit boxes in a room by the front desk), we noticed TWO watches stolen - one ladies, one mens. But oddly, the money and another watch and other jewelry were still there. There was NO MANAGER to complain to and we were rushing to catch a flight -- so wrote a long letter to both the front desk manager Kelly as well as hotel manager Allen. No reply STILL. So save yourself money and heartache, this HOLIDAY INN brings down the name of the entire company - the entire chain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear LGSharma,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Westbury, NY. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Travelers are raving about these Carle Place hotels

Babylon, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stay at holiday inn hotels every few months and was excited to stay at this location while attending a wedding next door. The hotel is dark and creepy, has a very outdated feel. My room stunk of cigaretts when we requested a non smoking room. The wall paper was stained and peeling off. The AC blew warm humid air. The hallways were creepy and random people were just sitting in the hall playing music. The back entry door was left unlocked, allowing non-guests to walk around the hotel.
The shower is also bizarre, I'm 5'1 and I barely fit under the shower head. The front reception area and new bar is nice, but I think they should try spending money on new lights and carpeting in the hallway.

I will not be staying there again...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Jenn S,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations on most of our amenities and we are truly sorry for you did not find our hotel to your liking. We regret the poor experience you had during your visit.

It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you read my August 22, 2011 review, you know that I had nothing but good things to say about this hotel. Much has changed since that visit, and it has not been for the good. They no longer have the free breakfast and no longer offer On-Demand movies. And although the pool is still there, it is very unclear what its hours are. The opening time is listed variously as 8am, 9am and 10am. I was out-of-luck for an 8am swim on my recent visit since the gate stated an opening time of 9am.

There are not a lot of hotel choices in the area and this one is certaining okay for the price. However, I am no longer a huge champion. And I am a Holiday Inn Priority Club member! I really would have expected a better deal than the 10% off breakfast that I was offered.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are safer and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear BostonNix,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My stay at this hotel seemed to be excellent upon arrival. Lobby was clean and beautiful. It was definitely a plus to my guests and I that it was located next door to a wedding we were attending that same evening. When checking in, staff was helpful and was aware we were there for a wedding. On camera, it was clear I was handed money at the desk which was then placed in my pocketbook. With time becoming close to cocktail hour, we quickly got dressed and headed to the wedding. When returning, I had checked my pocketbook which was left in the room to find that $200 had been taken from me. Keep in mind, the other three guests staying in my room happened to be NYC Police Officers and the other manager of a hotel in NYC. We quickly called the front desk to alert them of the incident and they apologized however took their time to read the room key reader like we requested. After waiting 40 minutes, the times that were read that someone accessed the room appeared to be wrong BECAUSE the last reading was at 1:57 am and I was sleeping! This makes me more nervous! We were told theyre machines arent always up to date. Then we were informed that the GM of the hotel was not on duty and could not review the tapes and to call on Monday. The supervisor again apologized about the incident and told us we would be given the wedding rate. When checking out and reminding him about that rate, he told us there was nothing he could do because we paid cash for the rooms. So, as Monday rolled around I called and speak to the GM. He was cold and seemed to be bothered by the call. I was told to wait 48 hours so they could investigate. Needless to say.. I am still waiting for a call from 7/15. So I took matters into my own hands and called IHG which owns Holiday Inns and waiting to hear back from there.I was definitely surprised that this happened to me at a hotel like this in Long Island. Im a Brooklyn Girl and I do not let people get over on me. If you stay here keep all belongings on you at all times!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Victoria S,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We Flew in from Chicago tired and hungry! Took a quick swim in the back, went for a Nap in a very cozy room. The Hotel is Very well kept in and out, the Front Desk So Professional! I was recommended Vincent's Clam Bar Italian- why not? WOW!!! The place was Packed, yet as a VIP Hotel guest we sat in ten minutes. The atmosphere was Energetic/Lively, Casual, with lots of Talk and Laughter Around... the BEST Chicken and Shrimp Parmigian we EVER had...Reminded us of an Old Homestyle Bistro. We enjoyed the Complimentary Meatballs, Cannoli Sundaes, and Lemon cellos! Loving N.Y. - Thanks Holiday Inn and Vincent's!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
To Davis S,

Thank you for taking the time out to provide your feedback about your enjoyable stay. Customer Service is of the utmost importance to us and I am very happy to hear that you were provided with just that. I am also very glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our local restaurants.

Hope to see you again soon!

Kelliann Horak
Front Office Manager
(516) 997-5000 ext 421
khorak@hiwestbury.com
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was here for a long stay and was surprised to get a call from my credit card company that the hotel had charged over $6000 on one day and 5 days later charged another $5200 for a stay that all together would have only been about $3800 when paid in full. I have never had a Holiday Inn charge up front for a full stay without discussing it first much less charge $11,000!!! It took a few calls to the get this reversed and never given an answer as to how this happened.

Next was the business center that had a printer out of ink for over a week. I asked each day and was told it would be fixed. Unacceptable for this to happen at a Holiday Inn property and even more so when there is a Staples right across the street...GO BUY A CARTRIDGE!! The computers also seemed to take a lot of abuse as 1 of the 2 was not working properly most of the time I was there.

Next is the lack of security, the parking is on the back of the building and the key lock did not work the entire stay, ANYONE could access the hotel and not be seen by the front desk.

The housekeeping staff is EXCELLENT!! They go to every measure to make your stay pleasant. The hotel is older but the rooms are clean.

The pool area gets a lot of use and the crowd really disrespects it and the other guest. Saw a group take over one evening and it was very uncomfortable for anyone outside of their party to have a good time. They were being served poolside by the restaurant and were even eating in the pool, GROSS!!

All in all not the worst place I have ever stayed but might be the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Westbury, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear glendale215,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are glad you found our staff to be excellent. Please accept our sincerest apology for the problems you had with your bill. We are glad that this was taken care of. We also apologize our Business center and pool facility did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Westbury? Share your experiences!