“Great room. Bland food.” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Canton
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Burlington, Vermont
“Great room. Bland food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Personnel were very cheerful and helpful. Room was immaculate and very attractive. The hotel grounds were very clean and well-cared-for. I wish I could say the same about the food. Everything was very bland and flavorless as if the cook had never bothered to learn about herbs and spices. There were several amenities such as spa, pool, and exercise room, which if i had known would be available, I would have come better prepared to enjoy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is the Best Hotel in the area mainly as it is the only hotel in the area. Rooms are tired with several calls to maintenance. Heat was impossible to regulate. Dining room food was very poor, edible, but looked like every thing came from a can, box or mix

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CantonNYSales, General Manager at BEST WESTERN University Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to leave feedback on our hotel. I wanted to apologize for not meeting your expecations during your last stay. I have forwarded your comments to our executive chef for improvement. We are also beginning our 3 year rennovation plan this month and soon the hotel will be completely new. We hope to see you next time you are in the area.

Until then...

Canton, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Staff was very friendly and helpful, I had Missy as my server and she was wonderful I only wish I could say the same about the food. I had a fried chicken sandwich with french fries. The sandwich was the driest sandwich I have ever had. It tasted like sawdust mixed with plaster of paris I have never had such a horrible sandwich in my life even when slathered in the mayo that came on the side (that was all crusty it looked like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for hours) it still was awful. Maybe that is the best westerns new trick for getting guests to drink more beer because I had to have twice the amount of beer to get halfway through the sandwich, the rest went into the trash. I have been coming here for over two years almost regularly and have never had such bad food. The staff has always been great, probably some of the nicest and most helpful people I have met, like I stated before Missy was wonderful. But I would never recommend the best western to anyone for lunch ever again due to my latest experience. I don't know if you all got a new cook or something but it was one of the worst dining experiences in my life.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CantonNYSales, General Manager at BEST WESTERN University Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Loyal Patron,

I wanted to thank you for leaving feedback on our restaurant and the quality of food you experienced during your last visit. We are so disappointed we were unable to provide you with superior food experience. I can assure you the sandwich is not made with sawdust and plaster of paris; but I understand what you were trying to portray and honestly we are ashamed our food came out like that.

Our executive chef has been trying to recreate the situation that would result in a sandwich of that manner and we are actively trying to find a solution. I know we can do better and hope that we may see you in the future and deliver a superior food experience.

Best Regards,

East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

All the staff was very helpful and nice! Especially Gina, Dan, and Shannon. Our breakfast was delicious. The bacon was excellent and potatoes were scrumptious. The eggs were done perfectly. And everything was served in a timely manor.

• Stayed October 2013
CantonNYSales, General Manager at BEST WESTERN University Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

The bacon is excellent! I can pay testament to that statement. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast. It is always great to hear positive feedback and we appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to share your experience with us.

We hope to see you back again for some more great food.

Until then...

Norwood, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I love the Breakfast here, Gina is awesome. The place is really clean and the food was good. I wanted everything in the menu. I would really recommend this place to anyone staying here. Its connected right to the hotel which was very convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last several months and the room is relatively clean and the staff friendly. However the bonus to this place is the restaurant. The team here is always friendly and goes out of their way to make every meal a good one. In particular Gina always provides excellent service. She is consistently friendly and attentive - and remembers my name each visit. They need to list the restaurant independently so it can be found on a search as this is one of the best places to eat in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Loyal Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave feedback on your stay at our hotel. Superior customer service is our goal; and it was wonderful to hear we accomplished this during your stay. We are currently in the process of developing a website for our restaurant and we hope this will allow people to find us and enjoy our amazing food.

Thank you again. We hope to see you back shortly...

Central Valley, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Great stay! Awesome breakfast and service!! Thanks to Gina Randy and Susie :-) this my second time staying here and I love it and plan to return to the BW University every time I visit my son at SUNY Potsdam. I will recommend the BW University at Canton to my friends!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Repeat Guest,

We were so glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast so much. I will be sure to pass along the compliments to Randy and Susie for a good well done. Gina is just a ball of a sunshine and can really make anyone's day that much better. I am so pleased we were able to make your stay a memorable one.

We will see you again soon...

Justin A Chapman, CHA

Been to BEST WESTERN University Inn? Share your experiences!