“overpriced, overstated, but under-delivered” 3 of 5 stars

Morgan Samuels Inn
2920 Smith Road, Canandaigua, NY 14424   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Canandaigua B&B and Inns
Rochester, New York
“overpriced, overstated, but under-delivered”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

During the months where there aren't trees around the property, one realizes that you are in the middle of a farmer's field. We were absolutely shocked; the pictures provided are deceptive. There were dead flies in the windows (we saw most of the rooms) and the rooms were questionably clean. The biggest shockerooni was when we found our room. There was no bathroom door (but blinds one puts on a window!) which compromised privacy in a different sense especially for a couple interested in a romantic getaway. Wonderful owners who promised the moon, but the wife & husband team communicated different expectations and did not coordinate with each other. In the end, what was promised was not delivered. The food was delicious, but due to a lack of coordination, food allergies were unaddressed (although promised) and it wasn't so great for others who needed this need to be respected. The room were promised to have for dining, we did not get. The bill was a shocker. Price did not match what was promised. In the end, we will not return. Owners are nice as can be, but clearly other matters were problematic. Price needs to match reality of staying in the middle of corn fields and a property that is old and in need of cleaning and updates (in terms of bedding and mattresses) and even doors.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were quite excited to reach what would be our final destination of our trip in the Finger lakes area. After viewing the website, we knew that the Morgan Samuels Inn would be the perfect place to end our vacation. As we drove down the tree lined entrance, we weren’t disappointed. We found the setting just breathtaking, elegant and peaceful. John warmly greeted us and showed us around the gorgeous inn. We stayed in the Antique Rose room and found it to be just as charming and elegantly decorated as the the other rooms in the inn that we were able to view. The accommodations were very comfortable and we felt quite rested the next morning. Breakfast far surpassed our expectations! The food was delectable! Julie was a wonderful hostess who helped make the breakfast experience even more delightful. What a gourmet treat! We would absolutely love to return to the Morgan Samuels Inn again for our next trip to the Finger Lakes area!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We just stayed for two nights on our way to Niagara Falls. We are not fond of B&B's but the reviews were so good that we decided to try it. It was beyond our expectations!! The Inn keepers, Julie & John could not have been warmer.....the rooms were all very nice ( We stayed in Evie's Chamber which was spacious and charming)....the breakfast was really special and when we learned that John was a Gourmet Chef, we decided to dine at the Inn both evenings. The dinners were exquisite....as good as any five star restaurant! The Inn is a few miles from downtown Canandaigua and a 5 minute ride to the Lake. The grounds of the Inn are well maintained and offer many places to sit back and relax. We hope to go back again....its worth the 5 hour ride!

Room Tip: We looked at all 7 rooms and each is very nice. We would have been comfortable in any of the rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We recently stayed at the Morgan Samuels and what a disappointment to say the least. The room was dark and dreary with a dark maroon heavy bedspread that we could not wait to get off the bed. The sheets and pillows were not at all fresh smelling and the towels were not at all fresh either. To open the patio doors and windows were of no help because they were dirty. The room itself needs some serious updating Could not wait to get up and out of there. Besides the room we stayed, we saw two other rooms and would not have chosen them either. Not at all like the description I had read online. Really cannot understand the other reviews here because the rooms are far from beautiful. Definitely would never recommend the Morgan Stanley to anyone. The price is outrageous for the accommodations.

Room Tip: Would not recommend any.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
merrillgates, Owner at Morgan Samuels Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2014
The full story here should be disclosed. This couple had requested several different date changes for their reservation for 2 rooms which we accommodated each time and were happy to have them stay with us. One couple was staying for 2 days and the other person for 1 day. When guests make reservations they are informed that they are responsible for payment for the rooms they book. Reservations may be cancelled up to 10 days before arrival with a 10% cancellation fee. When the threesome arrived they wanted to cancel the second night of the single persons room. My response was that I would try to re-rent the room and put it on the market immediately. In a situation like this, if we are able to re-rent the room we will issue a refund. At check out they created a scene because they didn't want to pay for the room. They went as far as saying that they shouldn't have to pay tax on a room they didn't use. Our frustration was handled quietly and diplomatically with our word that if the room was rented we would send on a refund check. We were unable to re-rent the room and so there was no refund issued.

All or our rooms have guest towels which are washed daily. Two of our six rooms also have decorative towels which are washed infrequently. The "un-fresh" towels referenced were decorative towels.

John
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We recently stayed here overnight, planning to visit the nearby Sonnenberg gardens the next day.. As we pulled into the driveway, I got a call from our catsitters that our oldest cat, who had been ill for a long time, had died in her sleep. Needless to say, that news took a lot of the pleasure out of our stay. However, Mr Sullivan, the innkeeper, could not have been nicer or more understanding. and he and his peaceful home helped assuage my grief.

We stayed in the Gothic room. It was spacious and lovingly decorated and furnished. The adjacent bathroom includes a jacuzzi tub/shower combination. The bed was a little soft for our taste, but we still slept well.

Mr Sullivan gave us a tour of the house, so we got to see all the other rooms but one, which was occupied. It's a lovely 200 year old house set on almost 50 acres in rural New York. The neighboring fields and pastures are lush and gorgeous, and there are lots of seating areas at various vantage points around the house. The common areas are also quite inviting, with a formal common room, a small but inviting television room, and a sunroom which must be amazing when there's a rain or snow storm. We had both of our meals in a small private dining nook, which was beautiful and which made us feel very special.

I had read good things about meals at the inn, so I requested dinner for my husband and myself. On my reservation form I had indicated that we don't eat pork or shellfish, but there was a miscommunication somewhere, because the first two courses were peppers stuffed with sausage and shrimp. Mr Sullivan clearly felt awful about the mixup, but it's not an uncommon thing to happen and we weren't upset. The next course was cream of mushroom soup, and I don't eat mushrooms, but I hadn't mentioned that when we reserved, so that was totally my fault. The grilled endive and lamb I had were very good, and the homemade bread was delicious. Dessert was a disappointment-it was strawberry pie, which had a crust that tasted like the shortening was off (or maybe it was lard?) and the binding was a jello-based sort of stuff that didn't improve the dish. But there were lots of strawberries, and they were plump and sweet. We also had a chocolate chip cookie that had been left on the plate that Mr Sullivan places next to the front door, and it was excellent.

Breakfast the next morning was memorably lavish and tempting. We had several different fruit courses, including a fresh fruit platter that would have served 6 of us, baked apples (one of my favorite things), and macerated grapefruit and mango. Then Mr Sullivan gave us a long list of choices for our main course, and it was not easy to choose! He had made a special trip into town to get all-beef sausages for me, which was above and beyond the call, I thoroughly enjoyed them, along with the first-rate buckwheat pancakes and herb-scrambled eggs. Mr Sullivan has a somewhat heavy hand with the butter when he cooks, which is really not necessary when your ingredients are so fresh. But on the whole we were very happy with this masterpiece of morning indulgence!

I would describe the inn as beautiful and welcoming but not extremely fancy or formal. I wouldn't bring kids (not even sure if they're allowed) because there is a lot of breakable stuff around. But we felt comfortable during our too-short stay. I thank Mr Sullivan for helping to lessen the pain of a sad day, and I wish him luck with his new puppy!

Room Tip: All of the rooms we saw were beautifully furnished and inviting. I don't think there's a ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I met friends from Pittsburgh here on Memorial Day weekend. All four of us absolutely loved the place. The rooms are beautiful as are the public areas. The Inn was full the entire weekend but the only time we saw any of the other guest was at breakfast. The breakfasts were amazing. John, the chef and owner/innkeeper is a culinary artist. I have never seen so much delicious food for breakfast in my life, it was truly unbelievable. As wonderful as the breakfasts were, the 9-course innkeeper's dinner that John prepared for the four of us Sunday evening was to die for. We all agreed that it was the BEST meal we had EVER had in our lives. We sat down at 7pm and finished about 10:30; everything was absolutly deliciously yummy! John was gracious enough to join us for some wine and wonderful conversation for about an hour after we finished dessert. It was positively one the best evenings that I have ever spent dining out, if not THE BEST!!!
I have to address Mike f's comments below. When I was searching for a B&B in mid-April, I checked out the Inn's on-line booking and realized it had not been updated beacuse it did not have 2012 listed to book dates. I immediately called the Inn and spoke to Julie, John's wife, who let me know which rooms were available for which nights. If the Inn's booking page was not updated in mid-April, I seriously doubt that it was functioning properly in February. If Mike f had seen that there were no dates on-line for 2012, he probably should have done the same thing that I did.. I actually like to speak to the properties that I am booking and have them send e-mail confirmation of dates and prices; maybe something Mike F should next he goes anywhere.It is really too bad that his 1-star review is even allowed because it appears that the error is more his fault than the Inn's.
I highly recommend the Morgan Samuel Inn for a weekend getaway or even an overnight escape. John and Julie Sullivan are truly gracious and welcoming hosts. You will not be sorry you went. My compliments to the chef...

Room Tip: All six rooms are wonderful!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinehurst, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

In February, 2012 ,I booked a room at the Morgan Samuels Inn, Canandaigua, NY for the weekend of July 13-15, 2012. Subsequently, I received a confirmation email and number from the Inn. Therefore, I was shocked when I called on June 13 to make dinner reservations at the Inn and was told that I did not have a room reservation! The person I spoke with said all the rooms at the Inn had been booked for a year for a wedding. The person was very apologetic, but that didn't do me any good. I'm not sure if the problem is with the Inn's on-line reservation system, or someone at the Inn made a financial decision to take the wedding booking and ignore existing reservations. So this review is about cutomer service and not about the amenities at the Inn, since I did not stay at the Inn, nor will I in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
We sympathize with your desire to warn others of your disappointment. It was clearly our fault, and as we said at the time on the phone, we again apologize.

Our first rule at the Inn is to go beyond the ordinary. We strive to go "beyond the beyond" in pleasing and accommodating our guests, however, as you saw we do err at times.

We hope that you will reconsider staying with so as not to miss all that we do have to offer, and would like to extend a complimentary invitation to stay with us for 2 nights between now and June 15, 2015. We hope to hear from you.

John and Julie Sullivan

Been to Morgan Samuels Inn? Share your experiences!