“Slow check-in, could be cleaner” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Canandaigua
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester, NY
“Slow check-in, could be cleaner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was surprised that, with no other guests at the reception desk, the clerk took over 5 minutes to even provide me a rate. Once we reserved a room, I was disappointed to find a used Q-tip on the floor of the bathroom. This is a new, nicely decorated hotel. I am sure that with a bit more attention to detail, this would be a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canandaigua - Finger Lakes, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear TravelingFamily70,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased that you liked our hotel. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced at check-in. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Canandaigua this past week. The Hotel was wonderful. All of the staff that I encountered during my stay were friendly and went out of there way to assist me with everything I needed. The front desk person that checked me in was attentive and very knowledgeable about activities to do and see in the area. The housekeepers were very friendly and did a great job in cleaning my room, actually it was SPOTLESS. I also had the pleasure of meeting Karen, the manager who came over to my table during breakfast to inquire about my stay and thanking me for staying at the property. I travel frequently for work and stay at many different brands of hotels and was surprised to see her stopping at tables during breakfast to talk to the guests. Not something you see very often. Keep up the great work. I look forward to my next stay with you.

Room Tip: There all GREAT!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
elsa05
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Reserved a one night stay after seeing a 5 star rating on Trip Adviser. When we arrived at the front desk the clerk was on the phone. We waited several minutes while she finished the call, and then answered another call. We were not recognized as Priority Club members. This is a fairly new hotel, but the TV in our room didn't work, nor did one of the bedside lamps. Also, the exhaust fan in the bathroom was extremely loud. The breakfast buffet was the worst we have had in a Holiday Inn Express. The attendant was not in the area, and we had to ask the front desk for food to be replenished. We waited 20 minutes. The orange juice was never refilled.

I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canandaigua - Finger Lakes, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your personal feedback regarding our hotel. It is certainly disappointing to hear that your stay with us was not all that it should have been.

Please be assured that Guest Service is one of our top priorities and we appreciate the loyalty of our Priority Club Members. As a brand new hotel we have just recently corrected the clichés with our new TVs and will immediately address your other concerns. I am sorry that our hot breakfast buffet items did not meet your needs and I will share your comments accordingly as IHG standards often change.

On behalf of myself and entire staff please accept our sincere apologies. I will use your feedback and comments during our next employee training meeting. Without feedback such as yours we cannot improve upon the service we provide to our valued guests.
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a nice, clean hotel. Backs onto a little lake with fishing, close to great shopping.
However, housekeepers are reluctant to clean your room! They are happy to drop off some towels, and have you sign a piece of paper to indicate you didn't want your room cleaned. I mentioned my dissatisfaction to the General Manager who said she would compensate me for the inconvenience, but upon check-out, nothing was done.
So great if you are only there for one night!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Baldwinsville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The main reason I give this hotel a average to less rating is the beds stink. I don't know who's in charge of making decisions for the bed type at holiday inn, but as with any other HI express I have stayed at, the beds are the worst in the hotel industry. Might as well sleep on plywood.

As for the hotel itself, immaculate. Unfortunately until they do something with the beds, I won't stay at a HI exp again unless there simply is no other choice.

should be noted, we rented 3 rooms, everyone said the beds where bad

Room Tip: any room you could bring your own blow up mattress, the bed quality is terrible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Karen A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canandaigua - Finger Lakes, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your current stay with us. We truly value our guests comments and appreciate the opportunity to improve on guest satisfaction. It was disappointing to hear that you found your bed less than satisfactory and we have addressed your concern. We have recently purchased new feather topper bedding for all of our guest rooms to ensure a comfortable sleeping experience for all of our hotel guests.Thank you agiain for your feedback. If there is anything else we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed one night and everything was lovely. The only thing missing was a cork-screw - even the front desk didn't have one available - in wine country!!! Anyways, we brought this to their attention and it sounds like they will have a few available. But unfortunately we weren't able to enjoy our bottle of wine we bought in the area that evening. Other than that, everything was wonderful. Good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnstown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was really surprised at the luxurious feeling of this hotel. I travel a lot for work; so I've stayed in a variety of places. The price was equivalent to a Comfort Inn in the area; but the quality was equivalent to that of some resorts that I've stayed at. I don't usually sleep well when away from home; but I slept great during my stay here. I will definitely be making this my "go to" place anytime I'm in town on business. The front desk staff were genuinely friendly and very accommodating to my needs as a business person. Breakfast was pretty standard (eggs, sausage, fruit, coffee, juice)....the warm fresh cinnamon buns were a nice added touch!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canandaigua - Finger Lakes? Share your experiences!