“Good Food, Good Wine” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 100 Restaurants in Canandaigua
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: NYS Rte 332 & NYS Rte 5&20
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Good Food, Good Wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Waterfront. Restaurant is upstairs with nice views. Nicely decorated - lots of wood paneling. Creative, hearty food. Portions not large. Wines from all over New York, not just the Finger Lakes area. Wine tasting downstairs, gift shop, teaching kitchen, and more.

Visited April 2014

Rochester, New York
“Good place for dinner on a summer evening.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This place has a nice upper outdoor level deck that over looks the lake. It's a nice place for dinner on a warm summers evening. The food is usually pretty good. They also host wine and cooking classes.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
1,714 reviews 1,714 reviews
1,150 restaurant reviews
“This was really, really good...a Unique Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was our first visit to the NY Wine & Culinary Center, and WOW, were we impressed! This place is everything cooking-and-eating combined, and I could see taking advantage of those parts that we missed tonight in our next visits.

My friend had told me that this was a place to get great food at a slightly above-average price. He was right. The menu, which is not extensive by any means, is only slightly expensive. It includes a lot of high-end appetizers, entrees and desserts that you usually don't see in this area. My wife and I both ordered the scallop main course, which came with Chorizo-laced hush puppies and sautéed greens (which we think were Swiss Chard). Oh my goodness...they were WONDERFUL! The scallops were huge sea scallops, perfectly seared and juicy as anything. The hush puppies were wonderfully savory, with just the right amount of Chorizo sausage cooked in to add the perfect flavoring. My daughter did not like her Portobello mushroom on Panini, but I tried it and I thought it was pretty amazing. (You never know what to expect when a 12-year old orders Portobello for dinner.) She did enjoy her chicken chili soup though, so all was not lost.

As good as everything was, I just had to order dessert here. I took the recommendation of our waiter and ordered the "salted maple cream over ginger snaps crumbs topped with cranberrys and sauce." It was another "OMG" course...fantastic! The maple cream alone was fantastic, and the ginger crumb base complimented the cream perfectly. Even the cranberry and sauce was oh-so-good, and the laced sugar "hair" on top
(see photo) was not really appetizing but all part of the picture.

Our server (whose name I never got) was right on top of everything, and the rest of the serving team made the meal perfect.

If you do go there, you must also walk around the rest of the "institute" and visit the cooking school and other areas. It's really quite a sight and quite a trip. I would LOVE to come back here, and definitely will.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This facility is quite impressive, with the tasting room, gift shop and bistro. We took a 'Lunch and Learn' class, which was most informative and highly recommended if you have time. We were all impressed with the beautiful facility that showcases the wines and beers of New York State.

Visited February 2014
Syracuse, New York
“Food and Wine Pairing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Fun, one hour course on tasting food with wine. Did not have to cook, just taste and learn! A fun couple thing to do.

Visited February 2014