“Convenient place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Canandaigua

You added Super 8 Canandaigua to your Saves list
Super 8 Canandaigua
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4450 Eastern Blvd, Rtes 5, 20, & 332, Canandaigua, NY 14424   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Canandaigua
Buffalo, New York
“Convenient place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Two nights at the Super 8. Well located on the Main Drag (Rt 5 and 20) with lots of food and shopping options (though almost all chain stores). Good distance from the road, only noise was from geese in the pond behind the hotel.
Room king bed was comfortable, lots of pillows. Excellent heat. Would have been better to have had a desk. Public areas are a bit shabby and ready for repair; worn rugs, door slightly skewed.
Some problems getting onto the WiFi net, weak signal so I did a lot of things in the lobby.
Breakfast much smaller than many other properties.
Like several other reviews, I also was first assigned a room with a defective door lock. Immediately moved to a new room with apologies

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hagerstown, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I decided on the spur of the moment to spend the night at this Super 8 while at a concert in town. Luckily there were vacancies - a regular king bed room was quoted us for around $60, and a king room with a jacuzzi tub was $80. We decided to spring for the jacuzzi. There is a hefty amount of fees and taxes in this area - Our $80 room ballooned to $94 and change by the final bill. Be aware of this!

The walls in our room were thin; we could hear a baby crying and some kids goofing around in the room next door. We had asked the front desk clerk to put us away from other guests when we came in to reserve a room, but that didn't happen.

The decor is definitely dated, but not terribly ugly. I could live with it for a night. The thing that was very strange was the couch - I jumped over on to it and it was HARD. It had a pull-out bed, but under the couch cushion, over the bed frame & mattress, they had put a sheet of plywood! This made the couch very uncomfortable to sit on and was obviously a measure of eeking out more long-term usability of the couch.

The TV was an old fat thing. No flat screens here! We didn't turn it on though - we were interested in the jacuzzi! The bathroom is a regular size hotel bathroom, nothing special. The toilet seat is plastic though. The jacuzzi tub is a garden tub size, but the switch that turns it on and off is near the light switch by the door. This became an issue for us, as the tub started draining water for us halfway through our soak and there are warnings that say not to run the jets unless they are fully submerged. We didn't notice the water loss until the jets started sputtering, so it would have been better to have the switch inside or near the shower stall door, so we could reach out and flip it. Instead, we had to slide around in the tub and try to stand up to climb out and slip across the floor to get to the switch.

Oh, and the shower doors are hideous old sliders. Not pretty in any way, and they limit you climbing in and out of the jacuzzi tub.

Nastiness - when I turned on the water to start filling the jacuzzi tub, there was a great wad of hair that was floating around. Apparently it had not been cleaned. I had to drain and wipe out the tub and remove someone else's hair. Blech! I would have normally complained and asked for another room, but at that point it was past 11 pm and I was tipsy and not wanting to haul over and change things around.

They have a free breakfast here, but all the pastries and muffins are pre-packaged and in cellophane. They do have juice and coffee, and a selection of cereal, but that is it. You can hit several fast food chains - McDonald's, Burger King, Denny's - nearby though, and Wegmans is right across the street.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
queens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

<b>The good</b>: The price is right, the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and pleasant. Defective room was replaced immediately. Lots of restaurants (mostly fast food) nearby, Coffee places, a large supermarket, gas stations, etc.

<b>The bad</b>: (1) The cleaning lady threw out my toothbrush, saying she thought I had checked out (even though I was booked for another night). When I asked her if the office had replacements, she said she couldn't help me and "Sorry!" Fortunately, I called the front desk and they did indeed carry replacements. It was cheap and not as good as the one she threw away, but it sufficed. Later, I saw that the very vending machine she was standing in front of when she told me she could not help carried traveler toothpaste/toohbrush sets. (2) The room I checked into initially did not lock upon exiting 3 hours after I checked in. It kept opening. I went to the front desk and the clerk said, "Yeah, that sometimes happens in that room." <i>Hey, thanks for telling me now, buddy!</i>. If I had not double-checked the lock when I left I would have left a brand new business laptop completely vulnerable. Geese cackling for much of the night (see below). Also, continetal breakfast is in the lobby and there are very few seats. You will probably have to eat your breakfast in your room.

<b>The weird</b>: Make sure you get a room at the back of the property. The front is just a parking lot. The back is an offshoot of Canandaigua Lake. Thousands (literally) of Canadian geese settle in for the night around sunset. This city boy watched this majestic scene in awe for a full half-hour, as group after group came in for landings.

So, would I come here again? Yes, just to see the geese alone. And, although the staff could be a bit more competent in some respects, they were pleasant, endearing goofballs.

Room Tip: Get a room in teh back of the property unless you really hate geese.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
voorhees nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

stayed at this hotel on oct 14th to the 16th yes the hotel need some work but it was clean and the staff was very nice. are door lock stopped working but they moved us to a nice suite. i know things happen i have been in the hotel biz for 23 years. will be going back in nov
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A CLEAN AND FRIENDLY PLACE TO STAY THIS IS IT

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Grottoes, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We traveled this month to Canandaigua, NY to attend a luncheon at the Inn on the Lake (separate review) and after researching the hotels in the area, this one best fit our needs.

The staff at the Super 8 were efficient and accurate with our reservation, and had no problems supplying us with extra pillows that we requested upon our arrival. The room was clean and nicely furnished and the bathroom was clean and there was adequate towels.

The breakfast was mainly juice, coffee, bagels and muffins -- adequate to get you going, but not what I would call breakfast.

Although we would classify this hotel as a budget hotel our our stay at the Super 8 was nice and the staff efficient and accommodating. Before we check out we found out that they are also "Pet Friendly", with an additional fee per night for your pet.

If traveling to Canandaigua again we would not hesitate to stay at the Super 8.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel needs some updating. They still have teal green carpet and '90's wall paper. The room was clean, but we had a terrible night sleep. We faced the parking lot (room 214), and could hear people coming and going all night. Whenever a door would close in the hallway, it would bang shut and wake us. The breakfast area has no place to sit, so you either have to stand there or take food back to your room to eat. The food is packaged and variety isn't good. There's no fresh fruit either. Most of the staff was unfriendly, unapproachable, and sometimes, nowhere to be seen.

Room Tip: Try requesting a room in the rear of the hotel. It might be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I paid $60 per night, and got about what I expected. It's a typical budget property. Carpet on the stairs from the lobby are taped down in some places and the property shows its age but it's very good value, relatively clean and the only option in the area when the Inn on the Lake is booked, as it was during our trip. Was somewhat disappointed that the public areas smelled like smoke. In room wifi is advertised but did not work. Rooms are small but have clothes rack, TV and small safe. Would not be my first choice but would return if I needed to.

Room Tip: Even non-smoking rooms smell of smoke
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 Canandaigua? Share your experiences!