“On the Verge of Greatness” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Miami Resort Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canandaigua
Miami Resort Motel
You added Miami Resort Motel to your Saves list
4126 Rt 5 and 20, Canandaigua, NY 14424   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Canandaigua
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buffalo, New York
“On the Verge of Greatness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I know a thing or two about Miami motels. I used to visit Miami several times a year during the 70s, and then moved there. I lived there for 6 years. The energy of this place is in the spirit of the Art Deco revival on Ocean Drive, Miami Beach in the 70’s. (Does anyone remember the Miami Vice era? The Cardozo? The Carlyle?)

This establishment is extremely well organized. The owner is at your beck and call. All you have to do is touch the “call” button, on a delightfully improvised vintage intercom. The owner’s philosophy: “If the room is nice, guests will treat it nice.”

I like the Green Room, #8. (See pictures.) It is a jacuzzi suite. I got a peak at the Orange Room (#9) next door. I will request that room next time. The Jacuzzi worked well. It is no nonsense: simple controls, lots of hot water, and powerful jets that hit my muscles. This was nice after extensive walking in Canandaigua . . . one of the most beautiful areas of America.

No annoying sign asking for “tips for our underpaid housekeepers”.

Did Valerie have hotel experience earlier? She is an exceptionally good hotel manager. She will build this place to greatness, only unless a giant hotel somewhere snatches her up to be their general manager. (Shhhh!) Oh, also, I think there is a husband/partner lurking in the background, who deserves kudos.

I steal the headline “On the Verge of Greatness” from “Jay C.” who discussed this place at another blog. The motel is in transition, and that is exciting! Before we came here, a friend from Rochester said “You mean you’re going to *that* place . . . the one the top of the hill? ewwww!” I just sent him a video of our luxurious Jacuzzi suite. That was fun! Since he is a cheapskate like me, I also enjoyed telling him the price. This place apparently has a venerable past. (See the blown up vintage post cards in the lobby.) One couple, celebrating their 50th anniversary, recently came here to see the site of their honeymoon!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

What a find? A motel with personality that is also clean and affordable. The rooms aren't large or luxurious, but they are very comfortable and clean and each one has its own unique personality. I've never slept in a more comfortable bed in a hotel. The owners couldn't have been easier to deal with from booking over the phone to checking in and out at off hours. We'll definitely be back. It's a great option for anyone visiting a student at Hobart and William Smith Colleges.

Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I booked a night at the Miami Motel based on reviews I read on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad I did! The owners were wonderful and super friendly, the room was cute and cozy, and the location was just enough off the beaten path to be very quiet. There were still plenty of stores nearby (including Wegman's, Starbucks, and the usual pharmacies and restaurants) and it was a very short drive to the lake and to historic downtown.

The place is being lovingly renovated, with the rooms having been first on the list. I had a jacuzzi room and it was heavenly to soak and read a book after a long day of exploring the area.

I would have loved to have stayed longer than one night, had my schedule allowed it. As it is, I will stay there next time I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Cazenovia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed here on Labor Day weekend before my son's wedding. I went in three different rooms, (relatives staying also) and all were newly remodeled and very nice. I would definitely recommend this motel, and would stay there again myself.

MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We found the Miami Motel in a local travel guide and liked with the name. After reading the reviews, we knew we had to stay there. We weren't disappointed. The owners are restoring this motel and a doing a fine job. While many roadside motels are falling apart or closing, the Miami Motel is making a come-back.!

The rooms are clean - the linens were lovely! There are a table and chairs outside the rooms that encourage to sit outside and enjoy the evening. We did just that and ended up chatting with others staying there. The owners are extremely friendly. Valerie also chatted with us for quite some time even though you knew she had things to do. You'll feel right at home at the Miami Motel.

Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Came to the area for a wedding that was up the road.... Sweet owner even offered to come get us if we were too drunk to drive home after the wedding ! Cozy breakfast treats were available in the office in the morning. Definitely would stay here over the other hotels in the area at the same rates or more!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

This was a great way to start our vacation. We stayed here as a halfway point to Montreal from Ohio. The room looked freshly decorated and was very clean and quiet.. You can sit at the table and chairs outside each room.
The owners are friendly and provided breakfast with great coffee. In addition to fruit and biscotti, there were mini muffins, bagels and cream cheese.
The tropical theme is fun, including the retro neon Miami motel sign.
After check-in we explored the town, and none of the other accomodations looked as nice as Miami Motel.
I would like to stay here again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Resort Motel? Share your experiences!