“beautiful location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Massachusetts
“beautiful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

We are a couple with no kids, traded a timeshare week through Interval and were somewhat wary after reading some of the critical reviews. I do not agree with the criticisms of the management office. They were very extremely efficient upon Sunday's check-in and pleasant throughout the week. The units themselves were very clean although the carpet outside the unit in the common area was old.Yes, some furnishings were showing their age but didn't really bother me. We weren't there to hang out in the room anyway. That said, we had a very relaxing week. Yes it is definitely a family oriented resort but the immaculate heated pool was gorgeous and great to swim laps in first thing in the morning. We also enjoyed bowling and ping pong challenge with pro. We didn't partake in the meal plan but cooked our own food in our very well supplied kitchen. Being from Massachusetts, we really used the resort as a home base to explore the Catskill area. In fact, one day we got up early and drove to NYC (only 2 hours) and spent a great day trekking through the Big Apple. We parked in a neighborhood in Northern Manhattan and took the A Train downtown. We were back at Villa Roma by 10 pm. The highlight of our stay was visiting the BETHEL WOODS WOODSTOCK MUSEUM which we highly recommended. Had a chance to unwind. What a beautiful area!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Timeshare owner over 30 years. Place is a dump. They charge maintenance each year and update noting.the hotel part is even worse. The owner has it for sale and nothing will or has been done.They didn't pay the garbage hauler and trash is piling up,stinks. They are skimping on entertainment, by having amateur night more than one night,vs legit entertainment.The staff is disconnected with management. Not good for the customer. Stay away.

• Stayed July 2014
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time for sharing your opinion on Villa Roma.

Although Villa Roma can always improve, and we are not perfect, to say the resort is a dump is a far cry from what we actually are. We have tens of thousands of guests that come and visit us year after year and make us their vacation destination of choice.

We have been in business for over 45 years catering to families and ensuring everyone has something to do, reinvesting in our property, and continuously expanding to meet the demands of today's modern family. Your portrayal of Villa Roma in the best word possible, is false.

We have an internal team of grounds crew members who collect any and all trash from around the property, bring it to the back of the dumpster facilities, and properly dispose of all of it. Then, our local garbage haulers come and pick them up. Every week this is done, so your portrayal of garbage removal not being done, is again at best, false.

We understand and recognize by your review that Villa Roma is not the place for you. We hope you take the opportunity to exchange out to a resort that makes you and your family happy. Thank you again for your opinion of Villa Roma.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

First I would love to have a response from management as I looked at previous reviews, and saw that not too many responses were given.

My family has owned a timeshare unit at VR for 30+ years. I now come with my kids (3rd & 4th generations at VR). I was completely disappointed this week during our stay (week #34). As always I travel for the week with my children and bring a friend with children.
Immediately my friend loved VR and got right on the phone with her husband to discuss purchasing a timeshare! I was thrilled. She stopped in the timeshare office to get information on how time sharing works and to see what was available for purchase. The gentleman said there was nothing that he could give her to take home to her husband.
We did the timeshare breakfast to hear about upcoming changes going on at VR (hoping to hear that the pink kitchen in our unit was going to be replaced soon- it's original!) and in the surrounding area. The meeting finally began after waiting 30 minutes into the "breakfast" which was main bagels. When a Howie began to speak. A few minutes into his monologue my guests daughter started to fuss. Howie stopped speaking at stared at us, as if we were unaware of our child's cry! My guest swooped the child and left the room but was embarrassed by Howie who stopped speaking yet again to watch them leave. This was done to another child a couple of minutes later. We obviously left. After the meeting I approached Leesa, Howies coworker, who proceeded to tell me that she was not the complaint department. As well as that is Howies meeting and that's how he likes to run it. Basically too bad. If you own a timeshare and want to know anything don't go to the breakfast meeting if you have children. But I thought it was a family resort? Very unhappy to say the least!! Rant over... For this year

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity and sharing your review with us.

We apologize for your unpleasant experience with Interval International. We would love to take the time and talk to you regarding your experiences with them and see if we can come up with a solution.

Please feel free to contact acarlucci@villaroma.com so we can discuss this a little further.

Thank you again and we hope to hear from you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

This was our first stay at Villa Roma. We got the meal plan and it was well worth it. The food is great and there is ALOT of it. Our wait staff was extremely attentive and catered to our every need. In fact, they even returned my diamond tennis bracelet that fell off under our table. The main building was updated and very clean. However, our room was a different story. We stayed in a traditional room and it was in desperate need of an update. There was a pigtail light screwed into a piece of wood on the wall for additional light. The outlet was near the floor so the cord was hanging down. Not so safe with an infant. Definitely a family oriented resort with things to do inside and out. It's a good trip to do for 3-5 days. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge which was quiet but the room needed updating.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

So happy Villa Roma is a part of lives. We have been going for over 30 years and it is so great that our whole family - three generations enjoys it every year! There is something for everyone, shows, dancing, music, pools - it brings the whole family together

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

i have been going to Villa Roma for over 15 years with my family and more recently with my friends. The food the entertaimnent every night, a beautiful golf course and skiing in the winter. P There is so much to do
I was there july 4th week, they had a flash flood, the pool was filled with mud. With in a day and a half they had three of the four pools in operation. They had tanker trucks with treated pool water to fill the pools. The other part of Villa Roma was in full operation with the exception of the bumper boats and paddle boats. i would definitely recommend Villa Roma for a vacation.
Pat C and family

Room Tip: I persoally like the Ernesto building
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I went to the Villa Roma on the suggestion of a work college and I'm still thanking him. As a police officer I never get a moment's rest, but that all stopped the minute I checked in at the time share office at the Villa Roma. The people were extremely nice and helpful, and the manager went out of her way to greet each guest. My wife and I got to our room (which was more like a house) and were immediately at ease. Everything was clean, the staff let us know they were at the ready for anything we needed, they really made us feel special. The pool was our favorite. Relaxing poolside, being served drinks; it doesn't get better than that! We were especially impressed when half way through our week in our time share rental, the manager, Carol, called our room to see how we were enjoying ourselves and if there was anything she could do for us. In all of my years of travel, I have never had that happen! That is truly hospitality! My wife and I will definitely be coming back as soon as I have more vacation time. We loved it!

Room Tip: The time share units were great. Very spacious for families or for couples who just like to spread o...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!