“Real Little Italy, NYC” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 1,008 Restaurants in Bronx
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Antibes, France
“Real Little Italy, NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My longtime buddy, "Tony da Mole"-a neighborhood boy, took me to this great Italian restuarant last Thursday for dinner. Truly, it was a great meal. We started with a pasta, Fruits of the Sea (that's my title, it sounded better in Italian). It had mussels, clams, shrimp and scallops with a red sauce; it was delicious. Next we each got an entree. I got the veal scaloppini; my buddy got a dish which was a small game hen cut up and sauted with scallions, sausage in a light brown gravy. We split them both and they were yummy. The place is like being in an exclusive high end Italian family spot. Supposely the owner/chef was Sophia Loren's executive chef. I can't attest to that, though my Goomba Buddy did! We had dessert at one of the many bakeries in the neighborhood.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Westchester, NY
“Wonderful Red Sauce Italian on Arthur Avenue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 4 for dinner at 6pm on a Sunday night (Roberto's is closed on Sundays and doesn't take reservations). Came here after visiting the Orchid Show at the Bronx Botanical Garden. The owner hostess (Laurie?) was warm and friendly and spent a lot of time with us talking about what to order and other things. Her husband is the chef, from Italy who trained cooking for wealthy families. On her advice, we ordered the calamari, arugula salad, house salad, veal sorrentino, fettucine carbonara, risotto porcini, and ribbon pasta with meatballs (which he only makes on Sundays) with extra meatballs so everyone could have one. For dessert, we had the creme caramel and tartuffo (from Vindy's) and two expressos. Everything was delicious in an old school, red sauce way. The carbonara, calarmari, veal and meatballs were especially good. Nice sized portions just right for sharing. We also ordered two bottles of wine, from a fairly reasonable wine list.

It's a small place, maybe 10 - 12 tables. Besides the hostess there was one waiter and one busboy. So it gets busy quite quickly. Maybe this might be why people complain about the service, but it was very friendly and the food was great. All the diners were enjoying the food, and one person, a regular, said, "it's the best kept secret in the bronx". Definitely check it out, very good red sauce italian. Total for all of the above was $140 per couple.

Visited April 2013
State College, PA
“Friendly atmosphere, delicious dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Tra di Noi is a small, authentic Italian gem off Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. How authentic? Struggling with my tartufo dessert, a serrated knife appeared over my shoulder, wielded by the lovely owner. "I can never eat it without a knife and fork myself," she added kindly. No ceremony. No silliness. Just really good Italian food, served by a lovely staff who work for an owner who really cares.

The calamari was fantastic -- although for a table of 5 we should have ordered 2 plates -- it was that crispy and delicious. My daughter called her lasagna "awesome" (after a meatless Lent, she was REALLY looking forward to the meat sauce), my husband's veal parmigiana was so tender you could cut it with a fork, and my pasta carbonara was lighter and tastier than many other versions I've had. All 5 of us enjoyed our meals, and my girls loved the ricotta cheesecake.

Another review said the place wasn't full on Holy Saturday. I have to disagree. We were there before mass the same night, and while not full, the restaurant was busy, despite the holiday weekend traveling. We loved the place, the staff was lovely, and the food was really good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Westport, Connecticut
“During A Holy Saturday shopping day on Arthur Ave. we decided to try Tra Di Noi for dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

After reading many reviews on various Arthur Avenue restaurants I decided to try Tra Di Noi because most reviews held it in high esteem. Unfortunately, I can only rate this place "Average". as there wasn't anything me or my 3 other guests found to be special. Upon entering I met the owner (chef's wife ) and asked her for guidence since she married the cook. She couldn't reccommend any one dish because she claimed everything was spectacular. We started with fried calamari which was good. Lightly batterred and not greasy. I choose the vongole possillipo which was rather salty although tasty.. we also had 2 house salads which were also good. Three of us chose the Branzino which came with family style string beans and oven roasted potatoes. The sides were rather small for 4 people to share but the quality was acceptable. My buddy had the veal ( batterred) which he hardly ate due to it being very dry. No adjustment was made to our bill even though we both complained and he left 80% of the serving on the plate. The Branzino was good, not great and a little on the salty side. For such a small amount of tables ( approx. 12) the place never filled on this saturday night. Maybe because it was Holy Saturday?.........Either way I don't think I'll make a return trip. The bill came to $245. My buddy's wife had 2 glasses of house Cabernet and my wife and I shared a bottle of Pinot Grigio. We went to Edigio's for dessert. Glad we did. It was the BEST part of the night out !!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Long Island, NY
“Tasty Italian in the heart of the Little Italy of the Bronx”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Tra di noi is not a big place. It is not a quiet place and it is not a fancy place. But if you want delicious, seasonal italian food, the is the place to go.

Tra di noi has a fairly small menu, but there are a long list of daily blackboard specials which are based on the seasonal availaibility of different products. When we visited on Saturday there was a stuffed artichoke special on the blackboard and by the time we ordered, it was sold out. I was just about to break into heaving sobs when the waitress said, "...but we just got baby artichokes in and we can make you sauteed baby artichokes with garlic and oil." We ordered them and they were heavenly.

For our main dishes, we went off the set menu and ordered pastas. Lasagna bolognese, Rigatoni Al amatriciana, Carbonara were all delicious and finished to the last bite. Desserts were also a big hit with Mascarpone cheesecake Italian Cheesecake and gelato all sampled and inhaled in light speed.

If you love the warm atmosphere of a neighborhood restaurant where Italian is spoken in equal measure with english and you can enjoy well executed, classic italian food, this place should not be missed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Tra Di Noi? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Tra Di Noi, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.