“CUTE PLACE, BUT FOOD NOT THAT GOOD” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Port Washington, New York
“CUTE PLACE, BUT FOOD NOT THAT GOOD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went to this restaurant on a Groupon with my husband. They have a separate menu for the groupon customers, that I didn't think was very nice. We have been to several restaurants on a Groupon, and were able to order from their regular menu which is nice. For an appetizer I ordered the baked clams, they were good. Then for dinner I ordered the Surf and Turf dish which was really a small lobster tail with a very skinney, and thin piece of supposed sirloin steak. The steak was dry, and lobster smelled fishy. I didn't even finish my dish. The decor is cute, and they had a man that was about 85 years old trying to sing. I would'nt go back there. The prices are ridiculously overpriced for the quality of the meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Rye, New York
“Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

To celebrate my birthday my husband made reservations at Portofino in City Island. The comfortable leather circular
Booths overlook the water. The waiters were fantastic and the food was delicious. We weren't rushed at any point.
This was the first time at this restaurant and we will go back in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Syosset, New York
“Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I went to Portofino on a Friday in the late afternoon with a Groupon purchased by my daughter for us. The decor inside the restaurant is a little outdated but they also have dining outside by the water which is what we chose. The staff was very attentive and very accomodating. With our Groupon we ordered the hot seafood appetizer which consisted of calamari, 2 baked clams, 2 grilled shrimp, 2 eggplant rollatini and a type of fried cheese/polenta. It was actually a very generous portion for an appetizer and very good. Our entree consisted of grilled lobster and choice of steak. I had the fillet mignon which was very tender and delicious and my husband ordered the shell steak which he said was good, but the filet mignon was much better. The Groupon also included a free bottle of wine which we took to go and they were very nice about taking it home. One dessert was also included - i had the tartufo which was delicious. Overall great outdoor seating and nice view, food was very good and we had a romantic sunset dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bronx, New York
“Surf & Turf Promotion on Groupon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Not worth it. Steak was supposed to be filet mignon but was substituted with another cut which we could not identify. Also the lobster tail was sub par. Appetizers of scungili salad and baked clams were good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bronx, New York
“Don't bother... even if you have a Groupon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love City Island. What a charming place. But do not waste your time in this lovely part of the city at Portofino's. We went to Portofino's because we had a Groupon. Both my wife and I agreed that we would have been better off to just let the Groupon expire and stay home. At the entrance of the restaurant is a red velvet rope and it looks a little too opulent to be true. This was followed by an over-the-top dining room, and not in a good way. The interior "boasted" rediculous decor inside with heavy red drapes blocking a beautiful view and dated and dusty electric candles at each table. All-in-all, the restaurant was tacky and in need of a serious re-design. I hoped the food would at least be good, but it was mediocre at best. It was neither classic Italian nor creative modern food. It was just a mess. The food was greasy and bland.
This restaurant is a perfect candidate for Kitchen Nightmares - I am sure of it.

• Visited April 2012