“Excellent Property, Convenient Location, Excellent Price” 5 of 5 stars

Opera House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   436 East 149th Street, NY 10455   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bronx
Ironton, Ohio
“Excellent Property, Convenient Location, Excellent Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is an excellent property. Rooms were very spacious and clean, breakfast selections were better than expected, 24 hour coffee, espresso, hot chocolate were excellent along with evening cookies. This property is very close to the 2/5 subway. I work in the city at least a few times a year and this was an excellent choice. You can't beat the price for these amazing rooms! Excellent food choices near by (Fresco's down the street for example). Neighborhood is very safe, no problems. Would definitely recommend for anyone. Very quick drive to/from LaGuardia.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bruges, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed 11 nights at the hotel. Good variety of breakfast, a pity that everything at breakfast (forks, spoons, ...) is plastic, not very ecofriendly. Big and very clean rooms with comfortable beds. Got free wifi (maybe because I stayed a quiete long period?). It is located 200 meters from the subway (line 2 and 5). The environment is typical Bronx: cheap shops, very low social class. A very first sight, this is maybe a bit frightening and gives you a strange feeling, but overall we didn't feel afraid, even not at night. Maybe because it is so close to the subway. Takes you 20 minutes to reach Central Park and about 45-50 minutes to South Ferry or Brooklyn. Taxi fromt the hotel to JFK costs 65 dollars+fee.
Overall a very good stay.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Albany, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I heard about this hotel by chance, and the hotel, font desk and rooms are all superb. Located in the Bronx, very convenient for my work and pretty close to the 2 train. The staff answered question an ga be god advice about where to get something to eat(the Taqueria two doors up is excellent!) .

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Julio V, General Manager at Opera House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Marcia K,

I am very happy to read your comments regarding the Opera House Hotel and grateful that you found us. I hope that you think of us the next time you're in the Bronx.

Thank you.
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've been here twice with my sisters and the service has been fantastic both times. The staff there are also very friendly. Out of all the staff members the main reason why me and family continue to go back is because of DUKE! He is amazing! Both times I've been there he has greeted us and treated us like family. It's a great hotel, the price is amazing too, the decor, the housekeeping service. We love this place.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Tania A,

I am happy to read your comments and glad that you and your sister have been able to experience our services and accommodations for the second time. We take great pride in our hotel and the services we offer and it is great to read that our staff has done just that, provide excellent service. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff, especially Duke at the front desk.

Thank you.
Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I'm a bit in trouble to review this hotel, because it is a really special hotel for a good price. On the other hand it is located in Bronx, which wasn't so bad as we imagined, still the service in the hotel was also a bit under our expectations. It seemed that the hotel was one of the first development in the area, so if you need anything that the hotel can't provide, you should take a cab or the subway, which is on the corner.
So the building was earlier the opera house of Bronx and it has a very interesting story. You can read articles from former newspapers in the whole hotel. The rooms are spacious and they have a high ceiling, which strengthen this feeling. Everything is spotless clean.
But the breakfast is the real weakness of the hotel. The options were a bit limited, but we thought maybe next day we got something else, but it was every day the same. On our 3rd day the juice maker was out of order, and they don't provide us anything instead of it. So we could drink coffee or buy something from the vending machine... and they needed 2 days to fix the machine! Probably we didn't have luck with this, but they didn't have a second option in this kind of situation.
All in all I give 4 stars because this hotel is very unique, and has a fair price, still they need some experience how to handle problems. I hope that they will be better and better, and other people could choose this accommodation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear nmarci99,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Opera House Hotel. We value comments such as yours as they help us improve our services to you, our valued guest. We are the first boutique hotel in The Bronx offering quality accommodations at very affordable prices. Our continental breakfast, served from 7-10am offers a variety of bagels, muffins, pastries and breads as well as coffee, tea, milk and juices that are available during those hours. I apologize if we were not able to offer you these items and more during your visit in July 2014.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope that you can give the Opera House Hotel another chance.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

spent 9 days in New York, initially I was terrified to stay in Bronx as I assumed the hotel will be a run down mess. But I am quiet impressed with the interior decor, neat rooms, good customer service etc.

What I am disappointed about
1. Not hot breakfast
2. No concierge, you have to carry your own suitcase to your room.
3. Outside of the hotel is very Ghettorish, poverty stricken look when you step out
4. becareful of crowd gathering outside the hotel
5, boring dry breakfast, just orange juice, bagel, croissant, banana, coffee machine was broken at time of visiting.
6. slow shower
7. no kettle in room to make own cuppa
8. my room had no view.
9. NO FREE INTERNET/WIFI??? SO NOT COOL

Room Tip: not sure if having a view to see outside of your hotel room is a good idea.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Mdanq,

Thank you for sharing your comments about the Opera House Hotel and the neighborhood. I am glad that we were able to impress you with our property and services. Our staff is always available to assist our guests with luggage, I am sorry that you had to carry your own suitcase.
Our continental breakfast offers a variety of items enjoyed by many of our guests, I am sorry that the coffee machine was broken during your visit, we have recently replaced it for a new one.

I thank you for your comments and hope to welcome you back as our guest in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So my Mother-in-law was had tickets to the red sox vs Yankees game at Yankee stadium on Sunday 4/12/15. Well, when we realized the game was at night we didn’t really want her to go alone (although she was going with a friend we were concerned for her safety). So we decided to take a family trip into NYC!! All 8 of us! 6 adults and 2 little kids (4 and 6).
First step…and the most important…find a decent hotel…close enough to catch the subway , close to Yankee stadium but far enough away to do other things too. We checked out the regular places…the Marriott, Days Inn, Comfort Inn etc. when I happened upon The Opera House Hotel in the Bronx…well the pics were nice but the Bronx? Really? I don’t know NYC but when someone says the Bronx to me I automatically think of a rough tough neighborhood which may not be very nice.
I sent the info to my spouse but she agreed with that rough tough scary neighborhood idea, so we continued to search thinking we would find something better….We ended up booking 2 double queen rooms here (remember 6 adults, 2 kids).
We hopped on the North Metro trainfrom CT to Grand Central…then hopped on the subway to 149th E and 3rd ave …and walked for 3 minutes to the hotel …which is right there on 149th E Street.
The Opera House was………AWESOME!!! You walk in and the place is just classy!! The décor reminds one of the old time shows or plays..with an heir of grace without being gaudy.
Melissa, a front desk attendant was great making check in a breeze. We went into the city early figuring we would spend the day in the city before the game that night and Melissa let us know we could come right to the hotel and leave all our bags there and then go exploring the city regardless of the time or if a room was ready! Our luck held out…one of our rooms was ready…and it was beautiful!!! Exactly like the pictures on the web site…no lie! The room was clean and smelled clean…a place that you could walk around barefoot in and not be skeeved out! We were really really pleasantly surprised because we were really apprehensive about the whole trip…this was our first trip to the Big Apple!!
Duke, another front desk attendant was fantastic! He upgraded us to a bigger room realizing we had a large party, for free! He was courteous and pleasant and just a great guy! He let us know about the breakfast available and the complimentary coffee and tea available around the clock (which that alone rocks!) He helped us understand the subway system so we could navigate where we were going all day!
So we spent the day exploring and upon returning to The Opera House Duke was going off shift while Carlos was coming on shift…about 4pm. Carlos was awesome as well! He printed out directions for us on how to get to and from the stadium. He got us a cab to get us to the game on time and when we bombarded him with questions on where to eat with 2 little ones in tow he gave us some great suggestions on where to go and how to get there! He also hooked us up with wi-fi!!!!
We had a fantastic time in NYC and we think that it was due to the AWESOME experience we had at The Opera House hotel! We thank the staff for making us feel so comfortable and welcome! My whole family and I give this hotel 5 stars!!! Highly recommend The Opera House!!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!