“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bronx
Toronto, Canada
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Great updated hotel , nice breakfast, clean, spacious, near subway only problem was the neighbourhood ,I would not recommend the location for a family stay but the hotel nd staff were great! My boyfriend nd I were k coming home late at 3 am but it didn't feel very safe. Tip if u r staying check out pizza place couple doors down yum! Aside from the neighbourhood the loc is close to most things nd again hotel very nice nd updated.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have rarely experienced a hotel like The Opera House in the Bronx, New York. The quality, excellence, and pride they take in their hotel is apparent in everything they do. I cannot recommend them enough. However, here are some specifics:
1) Late Arrival – We had flight problems that meant we were going to be arriving past their regular check in times. I called to let them know and they just asked we contact them and tell them what time we were looking at. When I contacted them they responded with, “Oh, that’s not a problem, you’re just two hours past regular check in times. Take it easy, enjoy the flight. I look forward to welcoming you personally when you arrive.” The manner was easy going and kind. Very impressive.
2) The Check In – Everything was in the system. They even upgraded my room to the second largest one for “My flight inconvenience.” This was something that wasn’t even their fault or problem. The front desk clerk (Duke) was kind and welcoming, he joked with us, pointed out excellent restaurants for us to eat in (including an amazing Mexican place next door) as well as a candy shop he knew we’d enjoy in NoHo. This was excellent customer service and left a very positive impression on us.
3) The Hotel – Immaculate, a great mix of modern and classic, just beautiful. You could tell there was pride taken in the hotel appearance and the running. Great building.
4) The Room – Again, this was immaculate. There was tons of space, the bathroom had modern fixtures and was super clean. The two beds were comfortable, the sheets clean, no stains on the rug (or anywhere else). The room came appointed with a fridge and safe, two things that I always enjoy having. We were very pleased with our room.
5) The Cleaning – The cleaning staff were amazing! We went for the complimentary breakfast (yes, at this price there is a complimentary breakfast) and by the time we got back the room was clean and set. This happened both nights. We were extremely pleased here as well.
6) The Breakfast – It was a simple continental, and very good overall. The basics were covered, toast, pastries, cereal, hot cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, you get the picture. I could have used a decaf coffee (the decaf button didn’t seem to do anything) but this is a minor issue, especially when we went to a café daily anyway.
7) The Neighbourhood – Ok, this looks a bit rough. I admit it. However, we walked it and met people and it wasn’t bad at all. In fact, we found the majority of the people friendly and helpful in this area. The restaurants, while maybe not Manhattan appointed, gave delicious scratch made food, in quantities we couldn’t seem to finish, with excellent service. At night, they roll up the sidewalks in the area and it was extremely quiet. I never felt concerned for safety in the area.
8) The Sound Of Silence – The Room was dead quiet. There were no street sounds, no problems, nothing. The blackout curtains in the room coupled with the quiet made this an amazing place for sleep. We felt well rested each morning.
9) The Price – You will not find as nice a hotel, with the high quality of staff, at this low of a price anywhere else. Three stops to the downtown on the subway (which is just a block and a half away) gets you to the start of attractions. Don’t let the distance scare you. You can a four star experience at two star prices here. Use the money you safe on hitting Bloomingdales on 5th Avenue later.
In the end, I highly recommend this hotel. I WILL stay here again and have already recommended it to many of my close friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard and the big tree.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Yauco, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Very good,clean and comfortable room. Andrew at the front desk was very helpful and done a great job accomodating our late minute request. The neighborhood could be better but it is safe and very close to Yankee Stadium and within a block of subway. I would stay here again gladly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Providenciales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was my second stay at the Opera House and my family first stay there. As usual it was great, the service is very nice and thanks to front desk agents Duke, Carlos and Andrew for their dedicated service. You guys are the best. My kids loved the fact that they could of had chocolate and cookies 24hours complimentary of the hotel. Continue the hard work, my family and I are looking forward to a return in the winter. The Blenman/Ingham Family.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I just spent 8 nights there at the end of July and had a wonderful time. Celebrated our 40th anniversary in the best possible way. The hotel is what we needed, 3 minutes from the train station, and we were able to go daily into the city, visited what we wanted from south to north and from east to west. During the day it was Manhattan and in the evening, Yankee Stadium. We went to 5 baseball games during that week and moved to and from the stadium very easily day or night. To a day game we went walking from the hotel to the stadium and back (30 minutes more or less and it was comfortable to walk in the area), when it was dark we chose to take the train, it took like 15 minutes to get there in train and the same to return. Even late in the evening, returning from the train station it felt safe walking the short distance to the Opera House. It is not the best neighborhood in NY, but is safe. We are definitely returning there for vacation in the future.
We did not need to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in the neighborhood of the hotel but I don’t think we would have found a place for that. We always had lunch in the city and something light at the game.
The room is comfortable, the beds are great for a good night sleep after a long walking day. The people that work in the counter, the maids, the service in general is very good. Something that I would improve is the breakfast coffee. There is a machine that makes expresso, cappuccino, black coffee, latte, etc. But I did miss the fresh brewed coffee in the mornings. The rest of the breakfast is very good, and varied.
For adults, families, seniors, I am convinced that the Opera House Hotel is a great option.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a rough start to our stay here, but the recovery regarding our issue was handled quickly. We had a 2 night stay but were unable to stay the first night due to being bumped off our flight in Chicago and forced to stay the night there. I called the hotel twice that day to warn them, first that our flight was delayed and then later that night to say we were stuck in Chicago. The front desk told us that we would be forced to pay for the night despite the fact that were stuck in Chicago. When I asked who could reverse the charge, they replied that only the general manager could do this. They did ask if I could get verification from the airline that we were forced to stay the night, as that would help our case.
When we got to the hotel the following day, I gave the front desk person a copy of the airline paperwork and got the general manager's contact info. Once we got past that, we checked into our room to start our vacation. Yes the hotel is in the Bronx and not the best area, but by no means do you feel unsafe. We walked to Yankee Stadium and back around 10-11pm and never felt uneasy. You can tell the hotel has been redone and the interior of the rooms and the hotel are quite nice, better that what we expected going in. The breakfast is free and good enough to get you started for the day, and there is 24 hour coffee and tea available. We enjoyed free wi-fi and our room was clean. The only complaint about the room is the bathroom sink is extremely small, inevitably you will splash water all over if you wash your face.
The hotel is close to the subway, and the price was extremely reasonable. I can see why this place is rated #1 for the area. The day after check out I emailed the general manager about the no show charge. I explained our situation and let copes of the airline's paperwork with the front desk. The same day the gm (Julio) responded and refunded the charge to our credit card. I couldn't have been happier with the hotel and the recovery regarding our no show charge. If you plan on staying in the Bronx this should be your first choice.

Room Tip: Very limited parking spaces, but that's what the subway is for. Leave the car at home.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Altoona, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel was extremely clean, nicely decorated, great amenities, and the staff were exceptionally courteous, pleasant and helpful. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was decent. The neighborhood is not so great but we didn't feel unsafe. It is very close to Yankee Stadium. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!