“Great/Excelent Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bronx
Yauco, Puerto Rico
“Great/Excelent Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Very good,clean and comfortable room. Andrew at the front desk was very helpful and done a great job accomodating our late minute request. The neighborhood could be better but it is safe and very close to Yankee Stadium and within a block of subway. I would stay here again gladly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Providenciales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was my second stay at the Opera House and my family first stay there. As usual it was great, the service is very nice and thanks to front desk agents Duke, Carlos and Andrew for their dedicated service. You guys are the best. My kids loved the fact that they could of had chocolate and cookies 24hours complimentary of the hotel. Continue the hard work, my family and I are looking forward to a return in the winter. The Blenman/Ingham Family.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I just spent 8 nights there at the end of July and had a wonderful time. Celebrated our 40th anniversary in the best possible way. The hotel is what we needed, 3 minutes from the train station, and we were able to go daily into the city, visited what we wanted from south to north and from east to west. During the day it was Manhattan and in the evening, Yankee Stadium. We went to 5 baseball games during that week and moved to and from the stadium very easily day or night. To a day game we went walking from the hotel to the stadium and back (30 minutes more or less and it was comfortable to walk in the area), when it was dark we chose to take the train, it took like 15 minutes to get there in train and the same to return. Even late in the evening, returning from the train station it felt safe walking the short distance to the Opera House. It is not the best neighborhood in NY, but is safe. We are definitely returning there for vacation in the future.
We did not need to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in the neighborhood of the hotel but I don’t think we would have found a place for that. We always had lunch in the city and something light at the game.
The room is comfortable, the beds are great for a good night sleep after a long walking day. The people that work in the counter, the maids, the service in general is very good. Something that I would improve is the breakfast coffee. There is a machine that makes expresso, cappuccino, black coffee, latte, etc. But I did miss the fresh brewed coffee in the mornings. The rest of the breakfast is very good, and varied.
For adults, families, seniors, I am convinced that the Opera House Hotel is a great option.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a rough start to our stay here, but the recovery regarding our issue was handled quickly. We had a 2 night stay but were unable to stay the first night due to being bumped off our flight in Chicago and forced to stay the night there. I called the hotel twice that day to warn them, first that our flight was delayed and then later that night to say we were stuck in Chicago. The front desk told us that we would be forced to pay for the night despite the fact that were stuck in Chicago. When I asked who could reverse the charge, they replied that only the general manager could do this. They did ask if I could get verification from the airline that we were forced to stay the night, as that would help our case.
When we got to the hotel the following day, I gave the front desk person a copy of the airline paperwork and got the general manager's contact info. Once we got past that, we checked into our room to start our vacation. Yes the hotel is in the Bronx and not the best area, but by no means do you feel unsafe. We walked to Yankee Stadium and back around 10-11pm and never felt uneasy. You can tell the hotel has been redone and the interior of the rooms and the hotel are quite nice, better that what we expected going in. The breakfast is free and good enough to get you started for the day, and there is 24 hour coffee and tea available. We enjoyed free wi-fi and our room was clean. The only complaint about the room is the bathroom sink is extremely small, inevitably you will splash water all over if you wash your face.
The hotel is close to the subway, and the price was extremely reasonable. I can see why this place is rated #1 for the area. The day after check out I emailed the general manager about the no show charge. I explained our situation and let copes of the airline's paperwork with the front desk. The same day the gm (Julio) responded and refunded the charge to our credit card. I couldn't have been happier with the hotel and the recovery regarding our no show charge. If you plan on staying in the Bronx this should be your first choice.

Room Tip: Very limited parking spaces, but that's what the subway is for. Leave the car at home.
Altoona, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel was extremely clean, nicely decorated, great amenities, and the staff were exceptionally courteous, pleasant and helpful. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was decent. The neighborhood is not so great but we didn't feel unsafe. It is very close to Yankee Stadium. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel is an oasis in a gritty, but safe neighborhood. Never felt uncomfortable in the neighborhood, and I even walked a mile and a half back from Yankee Stadium at 9 o'clock at night feeling totally safe.

All appointments are super-modern, as the hotel underwent a major renovation a year ago from what I was told. Comfortable bed in a clean room. Plenty of space. Had a bit of trouble getting the wifi working - otherwise a perfect experience.

Staff was friendly, and I was able to actually call the front desk when I arrived, and was parked in front, to check if my room was ready (it was, at noon). Was told about parking one block away for $10/24hrs, but on the same block was a covered, underground garage at $15/24hrs (Went with the latter where the guy recognized me the next day and went to get it as I came down the ramp!).

A hotel like this in mid-town would set you back triple the amount of money, that's why I rated this a 5-star super deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-side room for a more interesting view than mine of the wall of the neighboring buil...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I booked a room at the Opera House for a couple of reasons. First, Trip Advisor had it ranked as the #1 hotel in the Bronx; and second, because it was so much cheaper than hotels in Manhattan, I figured that having to take the subway a few times would be a small price to pay for saving so much money on my stay. Plus, the hotel advertised a subway station pretty much across the street.

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have booked this room. Let's start by saying that this hotel isn't exactly in a nice area. Because the subway was under repair, the station nearest the hotel was closed when we arrived, meaning we had to haul our bags close to a mile from the nearest open station (there was a free city bus being used as a shuttle, but there was a huge line to get on, and again, we had baggage). The street we took was lined with liquor stores and meat markets, some of which had Board of Health-issued "B" placards. Later, when my girlfriend and I went into a store to buy her a bottle of water, I walked away from her briefly, and within probably 15 seconds there were at least guys who had come up her and begun harassing her.

The staff was OK in terms of customer service, but certainly didn't seem to go beyond the minimum. When I checked in and explained that I'd just talked to someone the day before about how to arrive from the airport, and they had said nothing of that weekend's subway closure (which they had to know about, since signs said it had been happening every weekend for months), they showed no compassion or interest.

There was also no cell/data service in our room. You can buy wifi in your room for $7.95/night, but we elected not to, and instead simply use just our regular data. But even though we had no trouble accessing the internet on our mobile devices while standing outside in the parking area, there was no signal at all inside the hotel, neither in our room nor the lobby. So if you plan to text or use the internet in your room, that wifi fee is less of an option and more of a requirement.

I was also actually injured inside the shower, albeit not badly. A heavy metal pin came shooting out onto the floor when I switched between tub and showed mode, which landed squarely on the top of my foot and left a bump that lasted days. Future showers meant having to anticipate the assault, which was kind of stressful. We could hear the same thing happening in other rooms while housekeeping was inside, so if you're going to stay here, be prepared for that.

So why give it three stars instead of one? Because there were certainly some positives. The rooms were clean and nicely furnished. The free complimentary breakfast service was pretty standard fare, but was clean and well stocked. The gym next door was a good one, and to get to use it for free was nice. And after the weekend ended and the closer subway station was open again, transportation really wasn't much of a problem.

Overall I wouldn't say that someone *shouldn't* stay here, as despite its problems it was hardly a horrible place to stay. But speaking for myself, I will probably just pay a little extra to stay in Manhattan the next time I come out for a vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Julio V, General Manager at Opera House Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear MCarpo,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at the Opera House Hotel. I apologize for the lack of information provided by our reception staff regarding the subway station closures. While the malfunction of your shower was an isolated incident, I am sorry to hear that you were bruised by the knob that came off when switching the same.
It is a shame that you did not like our property, do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to give us another chance.

Thank you.

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!