“We will be back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Bronx
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“We will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I just spent 8 nights there at the end of July and had a wonderful time. Celebrated our 40th anniversary in the best possible way. The hotel is what we needed, 3 minutes from the train station, and we were able to go daily into the city, visited what we wanted from south to north and from east to west. During the day it was Manhattan and in the evening, Yankee Stadium. We went to 5 baseball games during that week and moved to and from the stadium very easily day or night. To a day game we went walking from the hotel to the stadium and back (30 minutes more or less and it was comfortable to walk in the area), when it was dark we chose to take the train, it took like 15 minutes to get there in train and the same to return. Even late in the evening, returning from the train station it felt safe walking the short distance to the Opera House. It is not the best neighborhood in NY, but is safe. We are definitely returning there for vacation in the future.
We did not need to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in the neighborhood of the hotel but I don’t think we would have found a place for that. We always had lunch in the city and something light at the game.
The room is comfortable, the beds are great for a good night sleep after a long walking day. The people that work in the counter, the maids, the service in general is very good. Something that I would improve is the breakfast coffee. There is a machine that makes expresso, cappuccino, black coffee, latte, etc. But I did miss the fresh brewed coffee in the mornings. The rest of the breakfast is very good, and varied.
For adults, families, seniors, I am convinced that the Opera House Hotel is a great option.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a rough start to our stay here, but the recovery regarding our issue was handled quickly. We had a 2 night stay but were unable to stay the first night due to being bumped off our flight in Chicago and forced to stay the night there. I called the hotel twice that day to warn them, first that our flight was delayed and then later that night to say we were stuck in Chicago. The front desk told us that we would be forced to pay for the night despite the fact that were stuck in Chicago. When I asked who could reverse the charge, they replied that only the general manager could do this. They did ask if I could get verification from the airline that we were forced to stay the night, as that would help our case.
When we got to the hotel the following day, I gave the front desk person a copy of the airline paperwork and got the general manager's contact info. Once we got past that, we checked into our room to start our vacation. Yes the hotel is in the Bronx and not the best area, but by no means do you feel unsafe. We walked to Yankee Stadium and back around 10-11pm and never felt uneasy. You can tell the hotel has been redone and the interior of the rooms and the hotel are quite nice, better that what we expected going in. The breakfast is free and good enough to get you started for the day, and there is 24 hour coffee and tea available. We enjoyed free wi-fi and our room was clean. The only complaint about the room is the bathroom sink is extremely small, inevitably you will splash water all over if you wash your face.
The hotel is close to the subway, and the price was extremely reasonable. I can see why this place is rated #1 for the area. The day after check out I emailed the general manager about the no show charge. I explained our situation and let copes of the airline's paperwork with the front desk. The same day the gm (Julio) responded and refunded the charge to our credit card. I couldn't have been happier with the hotel and the recovery regarding our no show charge. If you plan on staying in the Bronx this should be your first choice.

Room Tip: Very limited parking spaces, but that's what the subway is for. Leave the car at home.
Altoona, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel was extremely clean, nicely decorated, great amenities, and the staff were exceptionally courteous, pleasant and helpful. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was decent. The neighborhood is not so great but we didn't feel unsafe. It is very close to Yankee Stadium. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel is an oasis in a gritty, but safe neighborhood. Never felt uncomfortable in the neighborhood, and I even walked a mile and a half back from Yankee Stadium at 9 o'clock at night feeling totally safe.

All appointments are super-modern, as the hotel underwent a major renovation a year ago from what I was told. Comfortable bed in a clean room. Plenty of space. Had a bit of trouble getting the wifi working - otherwise a perfect experience.

Staff was friendly, and I was able to actually call the front desk when I arrived, and was parked in front, to check if my room was ready (it was, at noon). Was told about parking one block away for $10/24hrs, but on the same block was a covered, underground garage at $15/24hrs (Went with the latter where the guy recognized me the next day and went to get it as I came down the ramp!).

A hotel like this in mid-town would set you back triple the amount of money, that's why I rated this a 5-star super deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-side room for a more interesting view than mine of the wall of the neighboring buil...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I booked a room at the Opera House for a couple of reasons. First, Trip Advisor had it ranked as the #1 hotel in the Bronx; and second, because it was so much cheaper than hotels in Manhattan, I figured that having to take the subway a few times would be a small price to pay for saving so much money on my stay. Plus, the hotel advertised a subway station pretty much across the street.

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have booked this room. Let's start by saying that this hotel isn't exactly in a nice area. Because the subway was under repair, the station nearest the hotel was closed when we arrived, meaning we had to haul our bags close to a mile from the nearest open station (there was a free city bus being used as a shuttle, but there was a huge line to get on, and again, we had baggage). The street we took was lined with liquor stores and meat markets, some of which had Board of Health-issued "B" placards. Later, when my girlfriend and I went into a store to buy her a bottle of water, I walked away from her briefly, and within probably 15 seconds there were at least guys who had come up her and begun harassing her.

The staff was OK in terms of customer service, but certainly didn't seem to go beyond the minimum. When I checked in and explained that I'd just talked to someone the day before about how to arrive from the airport, and they had said nothing of that weekend's subway closure (which they had to know about, since signs said it had been happening every weekend for months), they showed no compassion or interest.

There was also no cell/data service in our room. You can buy wifi in your room for $7.95/night, but we elected not to, and instead simply use just our regular data. But even though we had no trouble accessing the internet on our mobile devices while standing outside in the parking area, there was no signal at all inside the hotel, neither in our room nor the lobby. So if you plan to text or use the internet in your room, that wifi fee is less of an option and more of a requirement.

I was also actually injured inside the shower, albeit not badly. A heavy metal pin came shooting out onto the floor when I switched between tub and showed mode, which landed squarely on the top of my foot and left a bump that lasted days. Future showers meant having to anticipate the assault, which was kind of stressful. We could hear the same thing happening in other rooms while housekeeping was inside, so if you're going to stay here, be prepared for that.

So why give it three stars instead of one? Because there were certainly some positives. The rooms were clean and nicely furnished. The free complimentary breakfast service was pretty standard fare, but was clean and well stocked. The gym next door was a good one, and to get to use it for free was nice. And after the weekend ended and the closer subway station was open again, transportation really wasn't much of a problem.

Overall I wouldn't say that someone *shouldn't* stay here, as despite its problems it was hardly a horrible place to stay. But speaking for myself, I will probably just pay a little extra to stay in Manhattan the next time I come out for a vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Julio V, General Manager at Opera House Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear MCarpo,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at the Opera House Hotel. I apologize for the lack of information provided by our reception staff regarding the subway station closures. While the malfunction of your shower was an isolated incident, I am sorry to hear that you were bruised by the knob that came off when switching the same.
It is a shame that you did not like our property, do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to give us another chance.

Thank you.
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I went to NYC for the Jays/Yankees games this weekend. We wanted to keep the hotel lower price so we could afford to do more stuff, and walk to the Stadium. This hotel had amazing reviews and great price so we booked it. The hotel itself is really top-notch inside. Outside, it blends in with the rest of the street which is a very busy one. Look for the flags! LOL You can't hear any outside noise at all. We drove our full size pickup truck. The hotel is VERY EASY to access coming from the 87. There are 5 parking spots, 2 of which are useless to any vehicle over 13 feet long. Andrew was very kind to guide me into the tight squeeze with zero damage to the truck or walls:) Next time we take the train anyway....now that we know where PENN STATION is:) Another story though. One word of caution. I'm an old sailor and enjoy a foreign port including the sights, sounds and SMELLS that entails. The Bronx is NOT MANHATTAN. Know that going in. The hotel is right in the middle of a diverse community with amazing shopping! Cleanliness isn't as high on the priority list. Careful where you step on the sidewalks. We were a little leery of venturing out after dark so thankfully, the subway is 150 yards away and is on the main line 2 or 5 train. Limited carb heavy breakfast stuff available in the morning to start your day. Typical. McDonalds across the street has better coffee:) Oh yeah, shopping and fast food is close by and prices are way cheaper than Manhattan. Comfortable king bed, fridge and safe in room. Free Wi-Fi.
PROS: Close to Yankee Stadium (about 25 minutes), Price, Value, Cleanliness, Staff Attentiveness, Top Notch Detailing, Close to Subway
CONS: Not in Manhattan. Local area a little sketchy, especially after dark, fine dining non-existent. Great for ball games, not for tourists unless comfortable traveling after dark to and from Manhattan.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel for any events you may be going to in the Bronx or NYC like games etc. If you are going all commando tourist like we intend to on our second trip(!), then based on our observations.....spend the money and stay in Manhattan or maybe Brooklyn. People watch in Times Square. You won't be disappointed:) The subway is both a bit frightening and exhilarating. Get the 7 day pass for 30 bucks and ride baby ride! LOL

Room Tip: All of the other guests were gushing so I guess the rooms are all very quiet and nicely appointed li...
Dear IanKaren2013,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel, its services and our neighborhood. I am glad you found us hope you ad your wife return soon!
I will share your comments with the staff, specially with Andrew who helped you in the parking lot.

Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at this beautiful Harlem hotel in July. Worked well for us because we came to see a Yankee Baseball Game, cab fare to and from park $10 each way. Plesently surprise by the cleanliness, decor, newness of this hotel. Nothing to complain about. Staff was extremely helpful.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Elijah9,

I am happy to hear that you loved our hotel! Thank you for sharing your comments, and I hope to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bronx
Days Inn Yankee Stadium / Bronx
#3 of 12 in Bronx
4.0 of 5 stars 71 reviews
Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx
Howard Johnson Inn Yankee Stadium Bronx

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!