“A hidden gem that exceeds expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Opera House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   436 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY 10455   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bronx
London, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem that exceeds expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I spent our first year wedding anniversary in new york for four nights and finding an affordable hotel in manhattan was impossible.
The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and you get a good selection of free tv channels. Shower is spacious and beautiful too.
The breakfast is good. I read a review before we left about lack of fruit, they've changed that and fruit is now an option. The only issue was no water but you do get juices and coffee etc. Water is available in the vending machine.
The staff were exceptional, especially Andrew in the lobby who nothing was too much for, and Miguelina in the mezzanine who was always so helpful and provided a great service during breakfast. It's clear the staff are very happy working here.
Now the area isn't the greatest however the subway is so close you hardly notice it. On the first night I was a little apprehensive because there were some dodgy looking people but after our first subway ride I was fine and the area isn't as bad as it seems. We had no issues at all.
The subway is about 20 minutes to times square with no changes. Definitely recommend the metro card, unlimited one week travel for $31. Taking taxis everywhere is seriously a waste of money considering the subway is so close.
The Mexican restaurant is also fantastic, burritos are huge and very tasty! The peruvian restaurant is nice too.
All in all definitely a better option to the overly priced manhattan. And manhattan is so noisy im glad we didn't stay there.
We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my first trip to NYC so I was hesitant about a new hotel in an area of town with a reputation. Now I feel lucky I was able to get a reservation. I didn't want to leave! The hotel was fantastic: the staff was excellent, the entire hotel was clean and my room was picture perfect. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. My work was in uptown Manhattan and all I had to do was go around the corner and catch the subway. And I really liked the area the hotel was in. I felt very comfortable. It's a very vibrant area. Each night I got out of the subway and it was like going to a party. Ooooh and the price, well, forget about it. People don't believe me when I tell them.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Greenbelt, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I agree with the many Travel Advisor feedback comments that I read before booking. This hotel is value for money. My wife and I spend two nights there and used it as a base to visit downtown Manhattan. The hotel and room were excellent for our needs. The nightly room rate is almost half the price of other similar hotels I investigated in Manhattan.
I rated the hotel location as very good because it was less than a five minute walk to the subway to take you to see the sights of Manhattan. Being in the Bronx the hotel is in a working class area but my wife and I (white middle class) never felt threatened walking around the neighbourhood. Like many places in world we have travelled to the locals were no bother.
I recommend the little Mexican restaurant next door to the hotel for a sumptuous and relatively inexpensive Mexican meal. We ate there both nights.
I have been to NYC several times and stayed at various hotels but any future visits I will be booking into the Opera House Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a great room on the fourth floor with a King size bed and a view towards Manhattan skyline. T...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am from the Bronx so when I decided to go home to NY to celebrate my 30th birthday and I saw this new hotel online, I had to see it for myself. I was NOT disappointed! The hotel is absolutely beautiful! The customer service was EXCELLENT! The rooms were large, spacious, and clean. It was very easy to get around all the subway is very conveniently located to the hotel and of course, there are always taxis. Again, I'm a Bronx girl so the neighborhood was fine to me as I grew up there. I walked around at night and felt safe. There is a Mexican restaurant next door that was really good and the best pizza is about a block up! They have coffee and hot chocolate in the Mezzanine 24 hours a day; a nice cup of hot cocoa before going to sleep hit the spot. The continental breakfast was good. Nothing spectacular but it served its purpose. I usually stay with family when I go to NY but if I decide to stay in a hotel again, I will definitely return to the Opera House Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
endicott
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have a habit of staying in different hotels every time I come to the city, mostly in times square, wall street or the upper west side, I guess no hotel has really captured my attention to the point of saying, Im staying there again - except this time! The Opera House Hotel really delivers! Excellent customer service, starting with Rafael in the front desk, very eager to provide information about the historic structure and the neighborhood! He even upgraded my room without me even asking. Complimentary breakfast in the morning and snacks during the afternoon, affordable parking close by, and free insight if you make it (first come first serve parking? subway close to the hotel, you can get to times square in less than 10 minutes. If your into latin or mexican food, there are great restaurants right next to the hotel. Rooms are extremely comfortable, quiet, clean beds and bathrooms. If you're into NY history, you can't miss this intimate, little hotel in the Bronx!

• Stayed November 2013
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is a new hotel with spacious rooms, in room fridge and microwave, breakfast daily, free wireless, access to east and west side of the city and friendly staff, truly an oasis after the bustle of the city. It's ideal for travelers who are comfortable with public transportation - the M60 from LGA to the 5 is incredibly easy as is getting around town on the 2 and 5. We were comfortable riding the subway at all hours of day and night - 7 am, 2 am, etc. It is also easy to jump on the 2 to North Central Park for access running in Central Park. The mex restaurant next door is awesome. In addition to pastries, breakfast offers many healthy options including yogurt, oatmeal, and hard boiled eggs as well as 24/7 access to coffee. One of our best stays EVER in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Awesome hotel! Very nice and very clean! Subway is right down the street, was traveling alone and never really felt unsafe in the neighborhood. Great Mexican food restaurant right next door! Fantastic deal! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!