“Good Food..Mediocre service” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
New York
“Good Food..Mediocre service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The Pine use to be one of my favorite restaurants but maybe they have slipped a notch.The Pine is always crowded.they do not really honor reservations.The noise level is high ...so loud it is hard to carry on conversation..Let's talk about menu..after each main course there are two prices..one for lunch and one for dinner..You would think that the restaurant could afford to print two enus to avoid confusion.The portions are large ,the food tasty..The service has markedly declined since the last time I was there..The waiter was clearly not pleased that we did not order drinks nor wine..When I asked for my dish to be made spicey he told me he would bring me red pepper flakes.My dinner companions wanted more bread and it took him 20 minutes to comply.I will try the Pine again but if treated sdame way it will be my last..By the way the prices are getting high..not silly high but high..Bathroom could be a little cleaner

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

USA
“This Place Used to be Awesome.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We still frequent this location on occasion, but it's not as good as it used to be. It's in a residentail area so you don't have to valet park your car.

I usually order the Chicken Parmagiana...it's usually delicious! It's huge and I bring home leftovers. Others in my party order items only to be disappointed...I always tell them to order the CP as well.

Service has declined. They used to have alot more sports memorabilia on the walls, including game used bats, gloves and uniforms,now it's just generic autographed stuff from Steiner.

You have to come here either early or late, or else be prepared to wait, and the wait can be long. It's still an okay place to visit but sadly it has certainly lost it's spark :(

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Mudpie anyone?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I have to comment on my favorite dessert from here, it's called "mud pie" and it consist if a chocolate graham cracker crust filled w/ chocolate mousse(heavenly concoction) and topped with chocolate ganache it is out of this world good- definitely a guilty pleasure. Really good.Worth the price- about $6.50 per slice. A small price to pay for the trip to chocolate paradise!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
newengland
“Customer Service is the worst ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

After being an advocate of 27 years of the Pine Tavern its time for management to wake up and remember the customer. I don"t understand how a resturant can have such bad service. In a nut shell from the time we were seated to the time a waiter came to take our drink order 20min. passed. When he returned 20 min. later with our drinks thats 40min. from the time we were seated.
I then placed my diner order and again it took 20min. (now 60 min.) before he returned with our salad. By now our drinks are empty and our waiter does not notice. He then returns 10 min. later with our diner order places it on the table and asks if we want any graded cheese. I then turn to him and say our glasses are empty can I order some drinks now. He then takes my order and tells his manager that I am unhappy with the service.
So he returns with the drinks in 5min.this time and the manager cames over and asks if there is a problem. So I tell him the service we received was slow and unattentive. His response to me was don"t you see how busy we are (I guess they were not expecting anyone to come to their resturant on a Saturday night). I then tell him 20min. to get a drink is unacceplable he then says is there anything I can get for you now!!! No appology no promise of future improvement nothing!!! I guess they don"t need me or my friends or family to come to their resturant any more. I hope ownership wakes-up and improves service. (one waiter for 30 patrons is not acceptable)

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Worst Italian food ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

OMG, this has got to be the worst Italian food I ever had in my life. How do people keep coming back? They either can't distinguish between good food and horrible or they simply don't get out much. My friend and I went here last night and I would never ever go back. I wouldn't eat here if you paid my bill. We started off with 2 appetizers - baked clams and meatballs. The baked clams tasted either frozen or just a bunch of bread crumbs thrown on top. I didn't even taste ay clam. The meatball was big but the flavor was okay. Then we shared a plate of rigatoni with shrimp, chicken and broccoli. Easy right? I figure how can they screw up this. Well they did. The pasta was so bland and there were only 4 shrimp in this big dish. The other entree we shared was the stuffed pork chops. It was absolutely horrible. It was supposed to be stuffed with mozzarella and prosciutto. There was no prosciutto at all and about a pound of cheese. All I tasted was cheese. I had stuffed pork chops elsewhere and I know what it should taste like. I don't know how this place stays open for business. The food is absolutely horrible. I knew when I first arrived and saw how big the place was and saw how extensive the menu was that it was going to be a problem. When you have so many items like that, there is no way food will taste good. They simply can't keep up with making sure everything is prepared the right way and that it's fresh. The best restaurants are usually the small intimate ones. Take my advice and PLEASE go somewhere else!

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Been to F & J Pine Tavern? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage F & J Pine Tavern, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.