“Poor management” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Bloomfield Hills
“Poor management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

I am writing you to tell you of my recent experience at The Sagamore in Bolton Landing, New York. I stayed at your lodge with my family and my brother’s family from August 13 through August 17, 2007.

The trouble began the night that I arrived on August 13. My older daughter noticed that the air conditioning did not work. I immediately called the front desk and they sent a maintenance person to my room. The maintenance person left a note explaining that she was able to scrounge up a single portable unit and assured me that they would come in the morning to fix the problem as outside temperatures were running in the nineties.

The next morning we left for the day’s activities, my brother’s family was staying in an adjacent room. When I returned that evening the air conditioning was not repaired. I saw no evidence that any repair had even been attempted. I called the front desk to ask for a different room. They assured me that engineering was handling the situation and told me that no rooms were available.

Realize that there were several problems with this temporary situation. To begin with, the unit made an unbearable noise, making sleeping extremely difficult. Because the door wall remained open for the hot air to vent, I never felt secure in my room, but more important to my younger daughter, the room would fill with insects. Finally, as the air conditioner continued to run, condensation resulted in a significant pool of water on the living room floor.

The following morning (August 15) came with very little sleep. My brother and I awoke early and traveled to see the horse racing at Saratoga. After a long day I returned and again saw no repairs and no evidence that repairs had been attempted. This was simply unacceptable and so I called the front desk once again. I demanded to speak with the manager, but he apparently only works from 9 AM to 5 PM. I told her that the manager should come to my room to see it first hand.

The morning of the fourth day came and I was beginning to unravel. I had come to The Sagamore for rest and relaxation. I am a busy surgeon and am able to take just one vacation a year with my family. I chose the picturesque surroundings of Lake George despite the extremely pricey room rates. Unfortunately, I was unable to enjoy the view and was afforded neither rest nor relaxation.

We left once again for the days’ activities. Mind you that I am not interested in cancelling my plans to wait to speak with a manager and would have expected the situation to have been corrected on the first night. When I returned that night, again the situation was unchanged. The temporary air conditioner was still rattling with no evidence of repairs. I noticed that the manager had left a voice message to say that although he did not visit my room, he had taken the cost of my spa services off of my bill. It is apparently not the policy of The Sagamore’s manager to tour guests’ rooms. While I can appreciate this paltry gesture, I was more interested in getting a good night’s sleep than a minor bill adjustment.

The final night was possibly the worse night of all. I awoke at 5 AM to the rattling unit. I tried to fall back asleep, but to no avail. I left a return message for the manager explaining the appalling conditions and then read in my room until the gym opened at 6 AM. Upon returning, I showered and packed my belongings. A significant puddle had formed on the floor around the air conditioning unit and I slipped on the wet carpet while trying to pack. We left for breakfast, but upon returning to the room for final check out, there was no additional message from the manager. I called the manager again, now during his stated hours, but he was unavailable.

I left The Sagamore that morning. I was told that the room rates are extremely high because it is horse racing season at Saratoga and therefore it is the most desirable time to be at Lake George. I do not understand why there would be additional charges for more than two guests in each suite, as the pull-out couch hardly represents luxurious accommodations, but I suppose it allows the owners to charge the additional guests for use of their purported extensive facilities.

Having stayed at several nice hotels in the past, I would have expected that had engineering been unwilling or unable to bring my room to a commensurate level of functioning, an immediate call would be placed to the management. I would have expected that had appropriate accommodations not been available that the management would have made the situation a top priority. The fact that I needed to make a second call for a repair is absolutely absurd. But what I found abhorrent about my stay was not the price or poor value, but the arrogance and self serving nature of all of your personnel. It was apparent that there was complete disregard for the comfort of my family.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The poor value and poor management
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
chatham NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

The Sagamore appears the only property to provide a grand old resort experience in the area. The grounds are kept up and beautifully, the staff is friendly and as professional as you would find in a seasonal area. It appears the hotel has been updated as much as possible and stll keep the atmosphere of an older hotel up. There were many activities although it appears the hotel uses many outside vendors. The concierge desk was helpful. Money has been spent on a conference center, and new children's activity center, although oddly an outside vendor manages part so it often not available. A high point is the shuttle service which efficiently transfers you to the golf course, town or other destinations to avoid the use of your car. The indoor pool could use an updated and would be the next place they could spend money. It isn't up to the level you can find in other resorts of this caliber. There were some off notes. The adirondack style informal restaurant was absolutely awful. Although it is for families and informal there is no reason for it to be this bad. The other dining spots were really very good. Before you arrive they ask you to make dinner reservations. I recommend this to avoid eating in the informal restaurant or eat in town. The morning brunch in the main dining room was very good and we did not have a chance to eat dinner there, since it was only open on the weekend. We stayed in the historic hotel and did not see the lodges

New Canaan, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Having read nearly all the reviews posted here for the Sagamore, I wanted to weigh in on it myself after our recent stay. We were there last week, August 20th.

We stayed in a signature suite on the top floor of the family lodge, the one closest to the playground that our 2 year old was crazy about. Our lodge, I believe, was the only one that doesn't have a clear view of the lake. Instead, we faced an occasionally noisy access road (mid sized to large trucks making deliveries during the day, along with staff in zippy golf carts) and could barely see the lake through the trees. My husband was a little disappointed with the view, or lack thereof.

The suite itself was very nice - I kept saying it would make a wonderful one bedroom NYC apartment. Very efficiently laid out (read:
a bit small, but had everything you needed) with a great bathroom. The staff was attentive - we had no issues on check in, check out, etc - and our bill was correct when we did check out. We went to Mr Brown's Pub twice, which had decent food and more importantly a good kids' menu. We never felt like our child was unwelcome at all during our stay. I don't find the 18% gratuity to be egregious; this is typical of "nice" places. That didn't bother us at all. We didn't try any of the other restaurants.

Now for the negatives -

Because we were in one of the higher-end suites that is likely privately owned, we were granted our own parking space, which was marked as such. I'm sure this priviledge wasn't free; I'm sure it was somewhere in our per night charge. Unfortunately either the front
desk needs to remind people upon check in that not all spaces are fair game, or they need to make the sign larger / more obvious. I know it's nit picky, but you figure we were somehow paying for it, and often there was someone in our space. When we first got there, our space was filled and we asked the guy whose SUV was there to please move since that space was reserved for our room (and the sign does say so). He was VERY snippy and said "well as soon as you find me MY space I'm happy to move". Luckily Security was nearby and made a note of the little snipster (who later apologized anyway) but it was just annoying.

More importantly, the Sagamore was too expensive - I don't know how the signature suite rate compared with the other rooms and suites, but our room next week at the Four Seasons in Vegas is cheaper. That doesn't seem right to me. From having read reviews of other Lake George haunts, I'm guessing the Sagamore demands (and gets) a premium
for guaranteeing that ants won't make off with your children, your sheets won't be torn, and your carpet won't be older than you are.

An outdoor pool would be a nice addition; the swimming area is mediocre. The views of the lake, once you found them, are lovely.

There has to be a middle ground between the exhorbitant Sagamore and some of the sad lost-in-time "housekeeping cottages" that dominate Lake George. I'd be hard pressed to stay there again, but because I think it's really expensive. Maybe Lake George isn't the vacation spot for us. I can sate my yearning for the nostalgia for my childhood elsewhere; perhaps I'll dig out my Easy Bake Oven and get to work.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This was our second stay at The Sagamore, as my husbands business books a convention there every year. Our last stay was 2 years ago, also in August.

At that time we stayed in the main hotel and the room was lovely, but very, very small, I thought.

This time we were in the lodges, in a regular room. As others have posted, these rooms are below street level, so the little outside sitting area you have is actually below the street and all you see is a little gully. VERY VERY dark, dirty and damp! Also, you can only get into your room by sharing an entry way with the 2 room "suite" across a little hall. Anytime anyone was in that hallway, you could loudly hear everything they did, including their room service being delivered to them every day at 8 AM and their 2 toddlers screaming in the hall!

Our room was dark and damp. They give you a dehumidifier in the room, which is very noisy! It filled up within 2 days and 2 maid services and 1 turndown service failed to empty it. There are no overhead lights and it was very hard to see into the closet, which is only half a closet because the hot water heater is stored there.

The TV was way too small for the room and the easy chair was very akwardly located. The outside sitting area was full of bugs, and covered with dirt on the patio. I went out there to look the first day and never ventured out there again.

To get to the room, you must go down a steep stair case, which was also dirty and I found several cob webs in every corner. A storage cabinet with towels remained opened and unlocked our entire 4 night stay.

On the plus side, I asked for and recieved extra packages of coffee, but the first morning, my little coffee pot and coffee cups were never even rinsed out.

All in all, I would not pay to stay here at all. I found it quite boring as the weather was a little chilly and very cloudy, so the thought of going in the lake, or using any of the other water activities was out of the question. Other than enjoying the scenery, which was quite pretty, there was nothing else that appealed to me.

• Liked — The nice lake view
  • Disliked — Cleanliness outside of the room and the dirty patio.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

This is a large resort -- basically, an entire island -- in a spectacular setting on Lake George. During our stay the weather was warm and sunny and we had difficulty tearing ourselves away from our lounge chairs perched on the edge of the huge, sloping, green lawn overlooking the water, forested islands, and mountains on the opposite shore. Waiters brought us cooling drinks, and when we got too hot we went for a swim in the cool, clean lake. Platoons of staffers keep the grand old white clapboarded hotel, the grounds, and the newer Lodge buildings in immaculate shape.

In order to get the most out of your stay here, you really need to understand the different lodgings. The hotel is, well, a hotel, with rooms upstairs and public lounges, restaurants, spa, function rooms, etc. on the lower floors. The Lodges, which look to have been built in the 1980s, spread out on either side of the island behind the hotel. The uppermost floors are private two-bedroom condos, with full kitchens; some owners rent them out through the resort reservation system. The ground floor and lower level house two-room suites on the lakefront side, with kitchenettes, some kind of water view and an outside terrace. On the landward side are single hotel bedrooms with private bath, which can either be rented separately or combined with the suite for larger parties. Because the shoreline is steep, the lower level suites open out at ground level while the single bedrooms look out on a landscaped courtyard and a retaining wall (the Sagamore calls them their "value" accommodations). Depending on where your Lodge is located, it can be a bit of a hike to the main hotel although the resort runs a little shuttle bus for people who don't want to walk.
We were happy to walk, because the grounds are stunning.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

This is the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed at. Everyone smiles. Service is accommodating, but not overbearing. Every request accommodated. Luxurious, but not stuffy. Rooms were well appointed, but not over done.

Food was not spectacular, but well prepared and straight foward.

We booked our return stay before we even left.

• Liked — very relaxing vacation with great staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
staten island, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

We went to the Sagamore on a family vaction, booking 2 so called suites in the Lodge because we were told that we couldn't fit in the hotel rooms when we booked in March. I requested to be in the Lodge closest to the main hotel because my father was handicapped and couldn't do alot of walking. Well, when we arrived they didn't have our room assignment yet, but the receptionist at the desk told me she had my request for building 1. When our rooms were finally ready they put us in building 3, to which I complained that I requested building 1 and was now told they had no record of that. Parking for the lodge is awful, the spots nearest are for residents. I dropped my father off at the lodge and parked my car about 1/2 mile away and now had to lug everything over. I was never offered assistance by the bell service. I called and complained and they sent someone to help me carry our belongings to the room.

At almost $600 a night (by the time you add in all the extra fees) I expected a lot more service that we experienced. The hotel is beautiful as are the grounds but for the prices they charge you expect more substance that just a pretty picture.

• Liked — room size was nice
  • Disliked — not luxury at all
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Sagamore? Share your experiences!