“Outstanding Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Newton
“Outstanding Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed here for a long getaway weekend (Friday to Monday). Upon arrival, our room was not ready (we were early), but staff apologized for the inconvenience and had the room ready within 5 minutes (still before the 4 o'clock check-in time). Throughout our stay, staff went out of their way to be welcoming, friendly and helpful.

The grounds are well-maintained and beautiful (particularly love the planting in the welcome area outside the resort. The rooms are quite spacious and nicely furnished and the bathrooms are quite nice (marble throughout). The only complaint I have with the room is we were able to hear noise coming from the next door room (not loud, but just enough to distract).

The pools were lovely as well. We also took the complimentary boat trip around Lake George that left from the resort dock. The boat was quite comfortable with benches on the top deck and tables and chairs on the first deck. Food and drink was served, but I do not know what the prices were as we did not order any. The trip itself was relaxing and informative.

The hotel offered a wide variety of restaurants and the food was outstanding at the two places we ate: Mr. Brown's Pub for dinner and Bella Vista for the (ample) breakfast buffet.

Had a wonderful time and look forward to going back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Skippy 1958,

your review was appreciated but I was happier to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! best line was the last and for that we thank you!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Tom Guay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I grew up coming to Lake George and staying with family. I could have had a two bedroom condo at the Atlantis for less than I pad for my stay at the Sag. However, I wanted my kids to experience the lake. There are five of us so I know we need to rooms or a suite and an adjoining room. That is precisely what the reservations line offered my husband. They made the lodges sound so wonderful with fireplaces and living rooms to spread out in. So that's what my husband choose. As many others have said the lodges are old and run down. We passed discarded room service trays on the railings from our check-in until our final return to the room late in the evening. Ketchup did spill and is still on the boardwalk leading to the rooms. I had to ask for a hair dryer and robes. You are definitely not receiving premium service. We were in a lodge with two king beds and a sofa bed. Not cool with 3 siblings. I had to call twice to get bedding and pillows for the sofa bed. We requested a room change and were originally offered two rooms in the main hotel. After only a few hours at the resort, you realize that you are the ugly step children when you stay in the lodges, so my husband jumped at the chance to get in the main hotel even if we weren't in connecting rooms. The trouble was we were at dinner at the Grill and the cell service was minimal. We said we would stop my on our way back in. When we arrived at the front desk we were told, very, very rudely, that no rooms were available for the duration of our stay. The folks who we spoke to previously were gone. Sick of dealing with the front deal folks, who couldn't get our keys to work until the fourth try, we decided to suck it up and just deal with it. There was no consistency with when our room was serviced so it is difficult to plan your day.

They must be short staffed. Wet towels stay on chairs by the pool and/or lake indefinitely. Folks order food from the poolside restaurant and the meal remains are stormed by the seagulls, who will crap on you as they fly to get the food scraps. Many resorts prone to this problem will run fishing line in a pattern above the venue to prevent the gulls from landing. I understand that this may be an expensive option but at least have staff pick up empty food baskets.

The key issues were been a problem every day. Time is wasted every day to get them re-keyed. We never received a calendar of event/activites or even a map of the property. We enjoyed the walk but had no idea of where the shuttles went. We saw horse drawn carriages but could never get a clear answer of how, when and where to get one. The food in the restaurants was generally very good BUT do make your reservations before you come, including the Spa. You will be disappointed when you are told they are fully booked if you arrive and have not made reservations. Their moto of "Consider it done" is a NOT. Anything we asked for was simply declined.

The surroundings are spectacular! However, mother nature is responsible for that, not the Sag. If you want to experience Lake George then this place is fine but so are the much less expensive alternatives. This is no Ritz Carlton. If you are okay with spending better than Ritz rates, then you may be able to overlook the Sag's short comings.

Room Tip: Stick to the main hotel which has been fully renovated.
Dear Laurie Z,

Your review was appreciated and I thank you for staying with us. I was sorry to see that we fell short in many areas and for that I apologize. No excuses. Like I have said in previous reviews both positive and negative, first we value hearing from our guests, second we will put the comments to good use and finally we believe in The Sagamore and truly hope that you return.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had a difficult start for our first visit here. The kicker should have been it took me three tries to book three rooms for 7 people. The phone people were NOT knowledgeable, could not identify the packages. I asked for Managers twice and thought I was all set in February for an August visit. We landed and found out the suite was given away. We were NOT happy. Asked for the manager some 17 year old in a suit feeding us a line that the people in the suite were gone for the day and did not check out. Illegal to move someone who is unpacked. Basically they over booked but were not forthcoming coming up with this outrageous lie. We waited and spoke with another manager more seasoned who admitted they were overbooked. He gave us a suite with no view for a regular room price + 25% off. The best part of the visit was the Spa and the Club Grill. The Italian restaurant was a disaster with a reservation 30 minute wait. Service was good once seated but they sat parties with 1 more than us at 7:30 for a 7:30 reservation we had a 7:00 reservation. Again young Managers that could not Manage the situation. Such a shame a beautiful property lacking completely in management skills. We go away each August we will not be returning here as there are so many other choices where the guest is #1. No one wants to argue when you are on vacation we felt like we had to fight for everything we arranged for in February. I am sure others have had a great experience I can only tell you my situation.
The Morgan cruise around the Lake is a must take in! The gentlemen telling you the history is fabulous and very knowledgeable!

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake view room not on first floors as people hang out on the veranda at night a bit noisy.
Dear Beth H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is clear that we fell short on several occasions and for that I am sorry. I appreciated your statement that you were sure others have had a great stay but I would have hoped that the same was true for you. I have asked on several review responses that guests call me directly to discuss their stays and I would love to speak with you and more importantly have the opportunity to turn you around. The Sagamore is an amazing resort and I truly hope we get another chance.

Wakefield, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We booked three 1-bedroom suites in the 'Lodges' (Building 7) for an extended weekend celebration (65th birthday) with our kids and grandkids . While the weather did not cooperate, we enjoyed our stay despite a few issues which detracted from the overall experience. As it was a b'day weekend, several of our friends and relatives had pre-ordered wine and cheese plates, etc. to be delivered to our room upon check-in. After several partial deliveries, and several phone calls to track down the orders, Robert, The food and beverage Director, got involved and turned a negative experience into a positive one, even giving us his personal phone number in case we had any additional problems.
We found the rooms well=equipped, with a small refrigerator, hot plate, single-serve coffee maker, toaster, etc.. The beds were comfortable enough, and the furnishings reflected normal wear and tear one would expect from a family-oriented, not luxury, resort. ( If Disney properties are a 10, these are a 7 or 8)
Rooms were serviced daily, by friendly and helpful staff, although having one's room serviced after 4pm was an inconvenience I wouldn't expect at a true luxury resort.
The grounds and common areas were magnificent, with great views of the lake. Although we used the 'indoor pool' due to the weather (cloudy and cool most of the time), the kids had a great time. We also utilized the rec center, which is well equipped (indoor) with mini-golf, basketball court, baseball/whiffleball field and assorted other activities. The staff there were friendly and helpful.
Front desk staff were also very accommodating and helpful.
Despite the price ($650+ per suite per night), we'll consider returning, as the setting is unequaled and our overall experience was a positive one.

Dear Jerry S,

Thank you for posting a review from your recent stay with us. Although not perfect I was happy to read that our staff was able to "make it happen". Our entire team read each and every review and I know Robert and the Front Desk crew will be pleased to see what you wrote! Our mission is creating remarkable guest experiences every day and it is nice to see your closing comment that you will consider returning based on your stay with us. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back!

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I recently traveled with my daughter's family to the Sagamore for a late summer get-away. We agreed to stay in a premium condo since we couldn't get adjoining rooms in the hotel. The price seemed very high ($1,500+ per night) compared to what we have paid at other resorts but we enjoy luxury accommodations and that's what we expected to get.

Instead, we got a depressing, dimly-lit condo with a sparsely-equipped kitchen and no detergent in the laundry area. The toilet paper holders were barely still attached to the wall and the accordian closet doors were barely functional. The bathrooms were incredibly outdated and badly in need of renovation. The entrance to the condo was a dingy door at the top of a steep (and not too clean) carpeted stairway and we had to ask for help with our bags when we arrived. It appeared that we were supposed to drive to the condo ourselves and drag our bags up the stairs ourselves. The adirondack-style furniture in the condo was well past its prime and we put down towels before we sat down on the sofas or the patio chairs; everything looked like it could use a good scrubbing.

The highlight of the trip for me was a rainy day when I sat under the beautiful veranda for hours and watched the storm move across Lake George. It was a welcome respite from being in that depressing apartment.

The pool is overcrowded and if you arrive to swim in the afternoon, chairs are virtually impossible to get. I also think just one outdoor pool is not enough to accommodate a full hotel on a sunny day. There is a "warming pool" but it is so small that it hardly qualifies as a swimming pool. There is also an indoor pool but that was pretty much empty on a warm summer day.......and unheated (as a previous poster mentioned).

When I went to check out on the morning of our departure, the staff person asked me if we had had a nice stay. I said, "Actually, no" and she just said she was sorry to hear that. A man standing next to me, who was also checking out, overheard my comment and said "I don't want to pile on but she is absolutely right. We are never coming back, either." I saw this man a few minutes later in the lobby and we compared notes; his issues with the Sagamore sounded just like mine and we agreed that the Sagamore needs to revamp many things in order to recapture the charm and appeal it once held.

Dear 623rocdoc,

I was sorry to see that your stay with your daughters family did not meet expectations. Your review was comprehensive and I thank you for that. I know we are capable of better and truly hope we get the opportunity for a "next time".

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is a very old historic hotel that has beautiful grounds and is on Lake George. The spa was nice. Restaurants were good. There are a lot of activities available for families, assuming they can afford to stay here.
For close to $400.00 per night after you include the taxes and resort fee, you end up in a very small plain room that is underground. We did find fun things to do and the main building is gorgeous.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the king lodge rooms. It had a pull out chair bed for our son. The room was ver...
Dear California-Cindy,

Thank you for the review from your recent stay with us. We value hearing from our guests and look forward to all that they have to tell us. I was happy that you experienced many facets of our resort and also for the comment that the main building is gorgeous.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

After reading many reviews of this hotel, I can understand why some folks might have felt underwhelmed. I might have felt the same, but the management made it right and that's what counts. Check in and room readiness for our large group did not go as smoothly as I had hoped, but I must say that the manager bent over backwards to be sure we were happy, including issuing a credit for a very expensive dinner at the hotel's Italian restaurant. Thank you Tyler!

On a positive note, my wife and I were celebrating a very special anniversary with our kids, their spouses and our grandchildren (ages 9,11,12,12,15). The kids had a ball meeting other kids, playing basketball, volleyball, socializing at smores parties and ice cream socials. The breakfast buffet each morning was over the top. The rec area was safe and they felt so grown up to go places on their own. We all loved the boat ride on Lake George and on a rainy day, everyone went into the town of Lake George and od'd on pizza, ice cream and tacky arcade games.

All in all, I beg to differ with the critics who said the staff wasn't helpful or friendly. We couldn't go anywhere on the grounds without a welcome, a smile, or a "how can I help you". There was a 1 minute shuttle from the rooms which were quiet and peaceful to the main building where all the action was. To me, it was a perfect compromise between privacy and action. We all want to return next summer for another few days of bonding in a very conducive environment.

Room Tip: Unless you need 2 bedrooms choose the 1 bedroom suites which are owned by the hotel and are furnishe...
Dear alan c,

We thank you for choosing The Sagamore and also for taking the time to post a review. In addition thank you for spending that "special" anniversary with us! You deserve congrats as well for bring along the kids too!

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back for next years anniversary too!

Thank you again.

Regards,

Tom Guay

Been to The Sagamore? Share your experiences!