“Beautiful setting, frustrating hotel” 3 of 5 stars

The Sagamore
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   110 Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, NY 12814   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
New York City, New York
“Beautiful setting, frustrating hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

First of all, I should that we paid a very modest rate for this hotel based on a last minute special, so some might say we got what we paid for. Be that as it may, our experience was not the best. The setting is truly spectacular, and Lake George is wonderful, so we have no complaints about driving up from New York, but if we were to do it again we wouldn't stay at the Sagamore.

The first hiccup was right when we checked in. I made a reservation for four with someone at the hotel and on the phone, which was subsequently confirmed via email. When I got to the front desk, however, I was told that we couldn't have the room we'd originally booked and would need to take a more expensive room. I showed the front desk person the email and that didn't seem to help. She disappeared into the back to talk to her manager a couple times and each came back offering a more expensive option. I explained that I didn't see why I should have to pay more as I hadn't made a mistake--they had. Finally the manager came out and said, oh, ok, no problem, you can have the room you originally booked. Very weird. And no gesture to recognize their error.

Housekeeping was similarly strange. No one came all day one day until 4 pm on day, and then someone knocked on our door several times while we were there to see when we'd be out. And service at breakfast was equally hit or miss.

In short, it seems like the resort is staffed by many very young, inexperienced people who have little invested in maintaining the place's reputation. The big exception is the kids club, which was absolutely great and where our son had a wonderful time with the counselors. Another exception was the staff of the Morgan boat, who were terrific.

Beyond the service, the resort beyond the actual old hotel is just kind of ill-conceived. The entire island has more or less been turned into a gigantic parking lot.

We would absolutely go back to Lake George which is as beautiful a place as we've seen in a long time, but next time we'll just stay in a simple motel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear alexny73,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I'm not sure what occurred at the front desk when you checked in. Our standard is that if a room type that was booked and paid for was unavailable we would always upgrade at no additional cost. In your case we are trying to determine how this would not have happened. I apologize for our inability to get you off on the right foot. I was also concerned with your housekeeping notes and the other areas of concern.

Thank you for recognizing the kids club staff and the crew on the Morgan. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly. In closing, thank you for your review and I hope we get the chance to speak in person.

Tom Guay, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

You can save hundreds if you stay at a near by hotel for the same view! We recently stayed at the lodge, they only seem to care about you if you stay at the main building. Our $280 room was in lodge 4 on the first floor, if felt like a basement, you have to walk up and down 2 flights of un vacuum stairs to get there, our closet had a huge heater in it, our shower head kept falling and not stay upright, the ceiling had patches, people were stumping above us and when we went to check out we had a lovely room charge of breakfast that wasn't ours! They also charge you a resort fee, this isn't Disney! I was not impressed for the money we spent, a lot of people seem to be stuck up there as well, so be prepared

• Stayed June 2014
Dear honeymooner1030,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay. We do value hearing from our guests and always want to hear when there is an issue or concern or our guests are not happy. In your case, I am sorry that we did not meet expectations. I assure you that there is no distinction of where a guest accommodation is, a guest is a guest. Thank you again for your review which was truly appreciated.

Schenectady, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I have stayed here multiple times for work conferences (read: when someone else is paying) and have never been disappointed. I've stayed in the lodges and in the main hotel. The suites in the lodges are huge and quite charming. The single rooms are spacious,though don't quite have the charm of the ones in the main hotel. I have most recently (I believe the last two or three times) stayed in the main hotel in a garden view king room (lake view before that - similar quality room, just a better view!). The rooms are small, but have the old school charm you'd expect from the hotel. Beds are comfortable. I wish there was a bit more space in the bathroom to put toiletries (pretty much just the shelf below the mirror and the small table by the tub), but I completely understand that we're working with an old building here. The lobby is nice (I actually kind of miss the way it was before the re-construction with the huge bar area and chairs by the windows, but now there's a lot of nice outdoor space, so fair enough). It always smells a little like a fire even when there isn't one going. Adds to the charm. The bartenders have always been nice. Have had lunch and dinner at the main restaurant and dinner at the golf course (both a banquet style and order off menu). Food at the golf course is great. Food at the main restaurant is good or great, depending on the dish. I found the lunches to be very good. Breakfast buffet is quite good for a breakfast buffet. Have not spent much time in the pub downstairs, but it seems nice. Conference facilties are perfectly acceptable as are the small meeting rooms in the hotel (those are actually quite nice). Banquet food has been okay. It's worth going for a ride on the Morgan if it is available (and the weather is cooperating. If not for work, i could happily sit out in one of the chairs with a book and a drink and enjoy the lake for hours. The staff is always very pleasant.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear wraar,

Thank you for the detailed review and more importantly staying with us for your recent conference. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed many aspects of the resort and was particularly pleased with your comment that "the staff is always very pleasant".

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore for another conference or leisure time when you can spend hours reading a good book, enjoying the view and of course a refreshing drink!

Rogers, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I brought my 16 year old daughter with me to a convention at the Sagamore. It was absolutely fabulous! It really beyond my expectations.

I had never been to upstate NY so part of what made the trip so great was simply seeing how beautiful this area was.

We took a boat ride around the lake and just took in the beauty of the lake. Our room opened on to a shared terrace.

Definitely would recommend this resort.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear workenmom,

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your first trip to upstate NY for a recent convention. Obviously we feel that The Sagamore is the perfect place for a meeting, wedding or convention and I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for bringing along your daughter and also for recommending our resort to others!

Thank you again and please enjoy the summer!

Freeburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is a lovely resort in the Adirondack mountains of NY. We went on business, but it would be a great place to take the entire family. Just a little pricey. The resort has everything from golf, swimiming, a rec center, tennis, playground, etc. The staff was out of this world friendly. I think that is what makes a nice resort outshine others.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage which was a short walk to most things, but we had excellent food so the walki...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jill M,

Thank you for coming to The Sagamore on business. I hope it was a successful trip. Our staff work very hard to please and your comment about the staff being "out of this word friendly" is truly appreciated. When the business is complete please think of us and we would love the opportunity to welcome you back!

Wellington, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Just returned from 5-day trip the second week in June w husband and kids. Chose hotel based upon activities and amenities. Sadly, nothing was open because it wasn't yet "summer" according to the hotel. No rec center. No s'mores. No pool bar. No concierge. Very limited restaurant choices. We weren't told this when we booked so make sure you confirm. That being said, gorgeous property. Can only imagine how much fun it would have been if everything were open. Stayed in historic hotel section which was old, but charming. The biggest plus was that all of the food we were served was excellent. The kitchen clearly knows what it's doing.

Room Tip: Rooms in the historic section have predictably thin walls and are slightly dated.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kara S,

Thank you for your posting. I was sorry to see that you did not get to experience all we have to offer. Each year we vary our opening dates and I am happy to say we are now opening venues earlier and earlier each year. Thank you for the comment about the property, and our culinary team was thrilled with your comments about the food!

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to The Sagamore soon.

Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed at The Sagamore for a quick wedding trip, and spent much of the weekend wishing that I had planned to stay longer. The grounds are gorgeous, and all the amenities seemed perfect for a family vacation. My focus was more on the wedding, so we didn't have time to enjoy it all! We did use the pool for a bit - beautiful tiered pool deck with a hot pool, regular pool, indoor pool and hot tub - and the service pool side was nice. We walked the grounds and found the "beach" and lakeside areas impressive. It was also quite easy to walk in to Bolton Landing to explore the shops.

If you stay in the Lodges, ask for lake-front. I think the other side would be dark, especially if on the lower level. Our suite was like a mini apartment - beautifully decorated living room/eating area, a small kitchen, huge bathroom and a bedroom. I was just with my sister, but could have easily fit a family of 4-5 with the two double beds and pull out sofa.

Planning a wedding? The outdoor ceremony overlooking the lake was special, and the facilities beautiful.

I'd love to go back and take advantage of all the amenities covered in the resort fee ... like the free boat ride. We missed the boat on many of those things just due to time.

Room Tip: If you're in the Lodges, ask for lake view. Particularly if you're on the lower level - if...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dera jstwil,

Thank you for staying with us and like you, we also wished you stayed longer. We truly appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for highlighting several aspects of your stay. Weddings are very important to us and thank you for recognizing our setting and facilities. I know our wedding coordinators will be happy to see your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon.

Tom Guay, GM

Been to The Sagamore? Share your experiences!