“High hopes only to be let down...” 2 of 5 stars

The Sagamore
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   110 Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, NY 12814   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
A TripAdvisor Member
“High hopes only to be let down...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Sagamore for New Years Eve and the preceding night. We paid roughly $800 for this package of dinner gala and brunch the next day.

While the property and location are magnificent, service and value were lacking to an intolerable degree. It's like all the other reviews with negative comments say: it's a crown jewel on the lake, but the prices and untrained staff make the jewel not sparkle nearly as bright as it could.

We were two couples and had two very different rooms, "garden view" or rather parking lot view and also lake view upper level. Both rooms were in the main hotel and we apparently had it good compared to others in the lodges and other ancillary accommodations outside the main building.

While the lake view was quite nice for the outside scenery, the room had shower issues, wallpaper peeling and needed a style update overall. Beds and bedding were clean and comfortable to be fair.

Housekeeping was mediocre at best and both nights we received no turn down service.

Phones buttons did not route to housekeeping, front desk, bell services, etc. We always called 0 and received front desk staff that were not very knowledgeable and untrained. They couldn't answer questions about our New Years package, dining options, etc.

We asked for wine glasses from room service only to receive them 30+ minutes later, just not on par with the ratings and prices or my expectations.

While the food was not bad, we ate in several onsite locations, it was not anything I would expect from a 4 diamond property. Beverages were also drastically over-priced for cocktails and wines especially. A breakfast for 4 was $75 w/o alcohol and a lunch with a few drinks and basic entrees for 4 was $125. I'd consider myself a foodie and have eaten in some highly esteemed establishments and this place just does not compare for the price. The Inn at Erlowest down the road, while much smaller has exquisite cuisine, a magnificent wine list and impeccable service for similar or lower prices.

While we are long time Lake George lovers for over 40 years and will continue to come back to the region for other resorts and camping it definitely will not be at the Sagamore. I'm sad to say that all those times looking at the beautiful Sagamore from the lake and wondering what it held, has now left me so sadly disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear "High hopes only to be let down..."

We appreciate that you took the time to review The Sagamore. I was pleased to read that you felt the property and location were magnificent. I was however concerned with the other aspects of your review. As you might expect our guests are very loyal and also very critical of the level of service provided and also let us know where we fall short. Your review will certainly help us as we are constantly looking to improve in all areas.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope you decide to return to The Sagamore soon.

Tom Guay, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I spent five nights here with my family. There were some positives but mostly I had a negative experience.

The good first. The setting is undeniably beautiful. The restaurants were all very good, and the service in them was great. The pool area is pretty. It rained one day and the big indoor rec center was great for my kids. Bonfire was also a really fun event for kids.

The bad. We rented a condo, which was incredibly run down. We paid a lot of money for basically motel level accommodations. Musty and 30 years out of date, old bedding, broken doors and towel racks that collapsed when you hung a towel on them (which tells you they know it's broken, they just don't give a damn.) Really disappointing.

Also, when we arrived, our place wasn't ready yet, though we arrived well after check in time, and had just driven a long way with an infant who needed to sleep. Worse, it was very hard to get anyone to talk to me or help me. I had a college kid happily offering me a free drink at the bar when I had young kids on the verge of meltdown. Totally clueless.

This was my experience a number of times during my stay. Managers were seemingly happy hiding behind college kids, unless I put up a real stink. Who wants to put up a stink on vacation? Instead of jumping at the chance to make their mistakes right, the response was slow and disinterested - as though this sort of thing happened all the time.

So, when the pool was shut down during the middle of the day and I had to pull my disappointed kid out, I saw a manager whisper this info to a teenager and then scurry away while the teenager cleared out the pool. Same when my condo wasn't ready - I demanded to talk to someone, but they tried like hell to avoid it. Or when I called the front desk to ask when was a good time to take my kid for a horse and carriage ride, some young kid said "anytime!" So I walked down an hour later to discover rides had just ended for the day. Info I could have used when I specifically called to ask when to come down.

So, this is a pretty place. And if paid $150 a night or something it would have been fine. But for 5 times that, it's one of the worst vacation experiences I've had. Bad accommodations. Bad service. Won't be back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear GilFennerty,

We truly appreciate that you took the time to review The Sagamore. I was very concerned that your stay did not meet expectations and there were several areas where we missed the mark. I was happy to see that you felt the setting was undeniably beautiful. We work very hard to ensure that the facility and grounds meet expectations. You indicated that you stayed in a condo, as these units are privately owned and in our rental pool this is of course concerning. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with us last June and would welcome a conversation. Aside from a beautiful view we believe that the benchmark of hospitality is service. So again we appreciate your comments which will absolutely help us to continue to strive for excellence.

Again, thank you for choosing The Sagamore and we all hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back, and of course I hope I get to speak with you personally.

Tom Guay, GM
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

A treat to visit during the summer and now Christmas with my entire extended family. The grounds are breathtaking and the place is maintained impeccably. A young eager and international staff are happy to please.The management is kind and accommodating and this place is a factory for making great memories.

Room Tip: You will spend more time on the grounds than in your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Robert m,

We thank you for taking the time to write a review and more importantly for choosing The Sagamore for your family holiday. We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon.

Tom Guay
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We took the family: in-laws, sister and husband with their 3 kids (4-8-12) for a weekend in November. We knew they would love the place as we had been several times before as a couple, but it was a surprise for all of them. Everyone loved it. Kids loved the Rec with so many things to do, in-laws loved the location, the view, the comfort of the room, sister loved the spacious 2-bedroom suite which was perfect for them and their 3 boys. And she had a great time at the spa, apparently. I am glad the Sagamore will now be open over the winter, as this is the number one resort we choose when needing a weekend away from Montreal.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear 3rdPillow,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sagamore. We were thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Like you, we are thrilled that The Sagamore is now open over the winter. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Tom Guay
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Came here for cocktails and the view over the Thanksgiving day holiday. It is such a beautiful and historic hotel. The energy was electric - they were having a ginger bread house making class somewhere in the hotel and everyone was walking around with smiles carrying boxes with their projects.

We sat in the bar and just enjoyed the view of the lake. They have wood burning fireplaces and need to work on their air circulation or damper flow as it was quite visibly smokey (to the point where my eyes eventually began to burn), but that was fine as we were able to be motivated to walk around the grounds - also lovely. We ordered the artichoke and flatbread appetizer which was completely awful. Too runny and huge chunks of artichokes made it difficult to smear on the crispy flatbread and then make it to your mouth without dribbling.

But people brought games to their tables, enjoyed good drinks, good views and seemed to have good times!

Room Tip: This may be a given, but be sure to get a room with a solid view of the lake!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Alpine, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

What a classic Americana Historic Family Resort. We brought our entire family to what we believe now will become a Family Tradition. The moment you pull into the circular driveway you know this rare gem of a resort is filled with Authentic American history. In order to accommodate our entire family we decided to stay in the hotel's condo. What we learned is that some of the condo's are privately owned... the one we stayed in was completely renovated. Unlike the hotel rooms which are rather small-the condo's give you the feeling you could stay all summer! The hotel has several restaurants on property-all good but get the chance to head off property and enjoy some some local cuisine and cute shopping-particularly "Happy Jacks". The staff is friendly-and the spa is totally relaxing-just make sure to book treatments early because time slots fill up. The kids had a ball their REC center-which gave us a break to enjoy some grown-up time. I included some pics of the condo we stayed in(6B6) so you can see what you are getting first hand-Remember if you are staying at a condo make sure you know what you are booking! Enjoy your trip & hope this review helped!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at the Sagamore in October. The staff were extremely up knowledgable about the hotel amenities, hotel restaurant availability and what was included in the package. The rooms are a high quality with beautiful views. The suite was cozy with a working fireplace, comfortable, clean and quiet. The kitchen could have better stocked...bring your own wine opener because you won't find one in the room which is our only complaint. Overall, I would stay again, but do your homework ahead of time because the staff cannot help you even with the in-house amenities. Also check your credit card charge in advance as the rates posted on the website are inaccurate. Be sure to take a screen shot to prove the price quote.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Sagamore? Share your experiences!