“Wonderful Experience, with few areas for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

The Sagamore
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   110 Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, NY 12814   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Experience, with few areas for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We just came back from a visit to the Sagamore with 2 children, 1 toddler, and 5 adults, and we all had an amazing time. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, with Lake George as a stunning backdrop. There are a lot of activities for kids including crafts, sports, bonfires, and so much more. This is a very family friendly resort, but is also ideal for a romantic getaway. My stomach usually turns when I hear 'family friendly,' but this resort has done it exactly right. Crafts and activities for kids, but not in a way that compromises the sophistication of the hotel. We tried all the restaurants (i think there were 7, with one off the grounds), and we LOVED all of them. The food is excellent.

A few areas that could use improvement: we were not staying in the main part of the hotel because as a large family we needed to staying at one of the condos located adjacent to the hotel. Apparently these are individually owned, so some are very nice and others, not so nice. We were in a not-so-nice condo, with dingy bathrooms and dingy kitchen that smelled bad. Also the room service took forever to come by during the day, and we usually didnt even see housekeeping until the evening. The view of the Lake, however, was amazing. It just would have been nice to have a bit of a cleaner feeling, nicer room for the money we paid. Just be sure you know what you are getting when you make your reservation. We were in room 3B5, and i dont recommend that one.

Also, the staff is very friendly and helpful, especially at the restaurants.

The gym is very nice, and free classes are offered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have heard wonderful things about The Sagamore and I wanted to bring my parents there for a nice dinner. I have to say, nice, is an understatement. We were seated at the best table in the house out at The Pavillion restaurant. The service, the food and the view were all amazing. The chef that night even prepared these special small tuna appetizers for us... my mother does not eat raw fish and she actully asked if ther were any more.

My husband and I are hoping to go back during the fall for our anniversary and cannot wait.

Room Tip: Take the time to see everything you can on The Sagamore's Island. The old world charm an opulan...
Floral Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I treated our family to a vacation at The Sagamore and were more than pleased with the whole experience. There were 10 adults and 3 children and we were able to enjoy the resort to the fullest. There is a beautiful infinity pool overlooking spectacular Lake George. The staff is very accommodating and very pleasant. They can't do enough for their guests. The restaurants we ate at were La Bella Vita which was excellent and the Pavillion which was excellent, as well. There was a full breakfast buffet and full resort amenities, e.g. drinks and lunch poolside; spa; gym; tennis; golf; children's camp program; campfire roasts at night; boats; lakeside swimmining; hiking and much more. The resort has there own boat "Th Morgan" which is available to guests for a scenic tour of Lake George. Our famly enjoyed water skiing and jet skiing as well. Highly recommend for a family vacation or an intimate vacation.

Room Tip: As for lake side or lake view. Rooms were very quiet for sleeping.
Westchester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was my first trip to the Sagamore and my husband and I will definitely be back again next summer. Our children go to sleepaway camp in the Lake George area, and we decided to turn visiting day weekend into a mini-vacation. We opted to stay in the less expensive lodges,which are not far from the main building of the resort (if you ask to be put in Lodge areas 1, 2 or 3). It still isn't cheap, with tax and resort fees, just under $400 a night, but the hotel amenities, great service, and proximity to Lake George make it worth the price. The lodge rooms are very basic, it would have been nice to have a refrigerator in the room to store some drinks, but it was nicely air conditioned and perfectly fine. Even though the hotel has been around forever, they did a fantastic job of updating the main resort, spa, fitness center, and restaurants. They also added a beautiful pool that overlooks the Lake. The food and service by the pool area are very good. I got to the pool late one day, and the only lounge chairs that were left were ones without an umbrella for shade. I asked if there was any possibility of getting an umbrella by my chair, and a pool service person moved a very large umbrella for me over to my chair. It was very nice. They did that for other folks too upon request. My husband and I rented a small speed boat on the property and boated around Lake George for awhile. It was lovely. I had a spa treatment that was very good. I also used their tennis courts, which were well maintained har-tru courts. If you have kids, it is also a nice family vacation spot. There is an enormous Rec Room with mini-golf, a mini-baseball diamond, video games, ping pong, and more. There are multiple restaurants at the Hotel, all of which are lovely but we only ate dinner in one. We ate at the Pavillion which was right on the Pier of the Lake. The view was fantastic and the food and service were good- but not excellent to be honest. They could add a few specials to make it more diverse and interesting.

All in all, I loved it and will definitely be back next summer for visiting day weekend again. I highly recommend this resort, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the Lodge, ask for a room in sections 1, 2 or 3, which is closest to the main...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
orchard park, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My family and I stayed here July 6-9 2012 and have to say we were not disappointed! I was a bit worried after reading the mixed reviews but since we were traveling with three other families we decided to give it a try. The only problem we had was at check-in. We stayed in the lodges and when we arrived around 2:00pm and our room was not ready. The other families stayed in the hotel and their rooms were ready. The front desk could not give us time that it would be ready so that was a bit awkward. When we didn't hear anything after about and hour my husband went to the front desk to see what the hold up was. We were given a choice of rooms that were ready at that time and picked lodge five. A little bit of a walk but that was ok.

The room was wonderful! We stayed in the walk in level lodge. It was one of the renovated rooms and was practically brand new....from the carpets to the granite countertops it was great! Very roomy for a family of four. We had a great view of the lake from our bedroom and the main room. We have two children ages 8 and 13 who slept on the pull out sofa bed.....it was very comfortable. It was great to have a full kitchen for breakfast in the morning. The resort supplies coffee for the K-cup but we had to ask for more when it wasn't replenished the second day, but after that it we had plenty of coffee. We had a nice but small balcony which was relaxing to have morning coffee on and overlook the lake. The bathroom was very roomy and clean. There was a nice walk in shower and separate bathtub. Everything was very clean and new.
It was a great room and we would definitely stay there again!

The restaurant was just lovely! The view was spectacular and the service impeccable! It was a bit pricey.....the food/dinner was good but not great. The buffet breakfast was $22 per person and well worth it, from the fresh made omelets, pancakes and waffles to the fresh fruit, yogurt and baked goods there was plenty for all tastes.

The pool was nice. The chairs were on a tier level so wherever you sat you could see the lake.....nice touch. There is an adult only pool and bar so you can escape the kids if you want. There is a very small manmade beach which the kids liked and a floating dock with a swim area and life guard.

We rented two boats from another place (not the hotel) for the four families and the resort would NOT let you dock or pick up passengers at the hotel. We had eight children and they gave us a hard time picking them up with the boat at the resort....really?! Other than that I would highly recommend renting a boat and seeing all of Lake George....it was beautiful! There are areas you can dock/anchor and jump off small rocks and go for nature hikes on one of the many islands in the lake.....it was very beautiful!

I was a bit worried about the service after reading the reviews but we found it to be top notch....everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The men golfed one day and said the golf course was spectacular!

We tried the kids club ($25 per day) and the kids seemed to like it but weren't overly thrilled. The kids we traveled with were ages 7-13. Regardless it's nice to use so the adults can have dinner but be aware you have to feed your kids first (they don't give them dinner). I noticed the counselors not doing too much with the kids....it's more of a babysitting service.

The women played tennis one morning....the tennis courts are very nice. We also took a walk along the nature trail and into town. It's not a long walk if you like to do that sort of thing.

One more thing I would like to mention is the resort has shuttles that will take you everywhere! It was great! Just call the front desk and the shuttle will pick you up within minutes. It will take you everywhere around the resort and most places outside the resort. There is a grocery store down the road if you need supplies and other restaurants in town. The drivers were very friendly and accommodating!

I would highly recommend staying here especially in the lodges! We will definitely go back at some point!

Room Tip: Stay in the lodges....they are wonderful especially if you are traveling with children. They are bi...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Sagamore represents old school luxury whic typically is not my thing. But this hotel was def a place I would revisit. Went with wife and kid for a short 2 day trip this past memorial weekend (2012) as a last minute road trip from new york and really didnt have much expectations. We were lucky to find a last minute booking, a corner room with a great view i was told. the view was pretty good but the room def didnt justify the steep price. in any case that wasnt the main attraction. the main attractions were the stunning lawns, breathtaking views of lake george and the hills aurrounding it, beautiful pool and ofcourse a ride on the ferry morgan. there was a beautiful indian wedding at the hotel that weekend and i cant imagine a more picturesque location for a wedding. the restaurants were decent but pricey - with the ones on the lake providing a surreal view. overall it was a very relaxing and beautiful 2 days in old school comfort, but def not cheap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Bartender Shawn Thorpe and the restaurant manager David were two of the nicest employees at the Sagamore. My husband and I enjoyed drinks at the Sagamore's newest restaurant located right on the water and the service was second to none. We had such fun the first evening we came back again the next. Thanks, Shawn and David, for the great drinks, good music and conversation!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Sagamore? Share your experiences!