“Our 5 star experience...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boathouse Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Boathouse Bed & Breakfast
You added Boathouse Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
44 Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, NY 12814   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE HUGS AT CHECK-OUT
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jacksonville,FL
“Our 5 star experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

My husband and I visited the Boathouse to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We spoke with Joe numerous times about the property because we wanted to make sure that we picked the right spot. Joe was so helpful and friendly, we just knew that we made the right choice and our stay was going to be great.

This house is so beautiful and immaculately kept. It is so obvious that the owners, Joe and Patti, have put a lot of money and love into to keep it that way; everything kept in perfect condition. There were flowers pots and boxes everywhere that added to its beauty. and charm. Cheri, their manager greeted us at the door and gave us a very informative and thorough tour. We stayed in the Reis Suite and this upscale and tastefully decorated suite is in the main boathouse. There is a porch attached that sits right over the water. We enjoyed our morning coffee and evening cocktails on that porch everyday that we were there. The rooms are stocked with everything you could possibly need; toothbrushes, toothpaste, robes and slippers, etc, etc... They have thought of everything. The inside is as immaculately kept as the outside.

We cannot not say enough wonderful things about the Boathouse, the owners and the staff. The breakfast, the beds and linens, the atmosphere; OUTSTANDING.

• Liked — owners, staff, breakfast, the property, lake
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

It was a cold cold night on the lake when we arrived, but it was quiet and absolutely beautiful out!! The view of the lake is exceptional.
The rooms are small, but they are very thoughtfully put together. The walls ARE on the thin side, but that's typically an issue with B&B's. The bed was comfortable and there were cookies to welcome us.
The breakfast was delicious, though vegetarians should call in advance to ensure that your diet needs are attended to.
I think that they could lower their rates a bit--we would have been more inclined to stay longer if we could have afforded it.
The owners are generally very helpful and good humored!

• Liked — breakfast, bed
  • Disliked — cost, thin walls
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cape Cod
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

We just returned from The Boathouse. To start with the positives, the place is beautiful, the grounds should be featured in a magazine, the beds really comfortable and the breakfast delicious. That being said, I would never return, nor would I recommend it.

Joe was really nice, Patty never introduced herself to us, as she seemed irritated that we were 5 minutes late to breakfast. Her first words to us were that we were parked incorrectly and that we are not allowed to give out the code to get into the house (in lieu of a key) to anyone. I gave the code to my sister, who was checking in that day. She let herself in to see us and Patty was not happy about that. I felt like a high schooler getting in trouble.

Later that day, we took my mom who was staying somewhere else, out on our boat, which we brought and docked (for $40 a day extra) at the Boathouse. She met us on the dock and on the way back in, Joe came bustling down and told my husband that we were NOT allowed to have guests come see us. First, it made us seem that we were always being watched, then we were blown away by what he was saying. My husband explained that we just took her out on the boat and he said it didn't matter. No guests are allowed in the Inn, no exceptions and we should know this, as this rule is posted all over the Inn. ( the only place I saw this rule was when I went looking for it after we had to ask my mom to leave. It is in a book of rules and other info you get when you check in) . When you walk in the door, there is a towel that says "Guests of Guests May Not Bring Guests". I though the towel was a joke.

My opinion is that if you are opening your home as a B&B, then the level of hospitality needs to be there to support the beautiful home and its' surroundings. I have traveled to many, many places, and never once has there been a rule that guests are not allowed. It seems to be a complete oxymoron to me. On top of all the other rules (don't remove makeup with their washcloths, don't sleep or lie on the made bed as they don't change the comforter, don't touch the stereo, etc. the "no visitors allowed" was the straw that broke the camel's back for us.

It's too bad, because it has the makings of a 5 star Inn. They need to lighten up with all the policies.

• Liked — Setting and Views
  • Disliked — Owners' Policies
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

While the Boathouse is in a beautiful spot and is nicely maintained, we wouldn't go back. Considering the high cost of the rental (which is charged in full when the reservation is made), our room felt small and stuffy, unless the fan was on full speed and the balcony door was left open. We did have a private bath in the room, but the shower stall was quite small, which my husband found confining. We appreciated the rules regarding quiet times from 11 to 7 am, but, unfortunately, one of the bedrooms has a private bath in the hall, so every time one of the occupants got up in the night to use the bathroom, it woke us up. We didn't feel very rested by the time we left.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — noise at night, small bathroom, no air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

The Boathouse held a very high reputation. It did not live up to this claim.

I fear the owner, Joe, has been jaundiced with a few years of good reviews and is not attendidng to the important details of B&B management.

The first of these details is following the two key rules of customer relations: 1) the customer is always right; and 2) If the customer is wrong, refer to rule number 1.

Joe heard me discussing my wife's dissapointment that our room with private bath had its bath across the hall. Without listening to her concern, Joe angrily lit out on her and lectured that we must not be experienced travelers or we would know that . . . The point is, our 2-night stay at the Boathouse got off on a really bad foot and didn't recover, even though it is prefectly placed on a beautiful lake.

But the B&B is not as well constructed as the owner would have you think. The exterior stone is daunting and beautiful, but the interior is paper thin walls and see through vents between guest rooms. Clearly, rooms 4 and 5 were squeezed out of available space and are very tight. Things are starting to show signs of wear, such as the entry walk.

This is a good B&B, but not the outstanding one that the brochure and earlier rating might suggest. I think the owner would do well to have fewer restrictive rules (posted everywhere in the house) and pay attention to the two rule of customer service cited above.

• Liked — The weather and the views
  • Disliked — Joe, the owner
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Batavia, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

We had wanted to visit the Lake George area for some time and decided we wanted to be right on the water so the Boathouse was a perfect choice. We stayed in the French Quarter Suite which was beautifully appointed. Very, very comfortabe and what a view of one of the most beautiful areas in the world!!! As stated in other reviews all of the details, large and small were taken care of.

They reason that I didn't give this an "Excellent" review was because I felt the atmosphere was a bit stuffy which we were not accustom to when visiting many other B&B's in the past. Notes on how to use items, a 9:00 SHARP breakfast time all made you feel like you had to sit up straight like a child.

While we did enjoy ourselves and found the setting simply gorgeous, we're not sure that we would go back.

• Liked — Simply beautiful view, gorgeous rooms...great breakfasts
  • Disliked — Stuffy atmosphere
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

My husband grew up fishing Lake George every summer, and I made my first trip with him in 2005. I discovered The Boathouse online and suggested we stay there, and we've never looked for another place to even come CLOSE! While it holds a special place in our hearts for us (we were engaged on their docks), it simply is the most beautiful location with the most wonderful hosts! We've been very fortunate to stay in luxurious accommodations all across the country, and this is no exception. However the main reason we continue to return as often as we can is the graciousness and friendship of the owners, Patti and Joe.

While many people have detailed the delicious breakfasts and elegant rooms, our draw back to The Boathouse is the people. You are immediately made to feel at ease in their private home and become part of their family, not just a guest. You can choose to join in the banter and spend time getting to know them, or they will respect your need for privacy and allow you to enjoy their home and grounds with your partner. We could spend all weekend chatting with them, but we finally force ourselves to leave the house and make our short walk to town for some great food and drinks (try CATE'S Italian Garden for a seat on the patio under the lights or the LAKESIDE LODGE AND GRILL for great steaks!). We picnic by the water on their lawns (definitely grab sandwiches over near the grocery store and bring them home to sit outside...their daily specials are fantastic) and fish and swim from their docks. We enjoy wine from our room's fridge for sunsets (there's a great wine/liquor store right down the street that even carries some of the Finger Lakes wines I've grown to love...get Dr Franks) and watch the boats cruise by. We fall asleep to the sounds of the lake lapping under the house and wake to light bouncing off the water. Now Joe has a beautiful Hacker boat that he offers to captain for guests wanting a tour of the lake...that's our next adventure! Every time the stay is too short, and we look forward to our next trip to see our dear friends.

I stay at The Sagamore every year with girlfriends, and it just can't compare. The Boathouse is the perfect setting to re-energize and regroup, and the best place to vacation while still feeling like you're at home...all while enjoying the amenities of The Sagamore! Now if I could just get Patti and Joe to adopt us, I will have considered it a true success! Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Boathouse Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!