“Should of checked trip advisor before.................” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort

Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolivar
Prices are for rooms, adults
Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort
Save Saved
You added Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort to your Saves list
8015 Messer Hill Road, Bolivar, NY 14715   |
New York
“Should of checked trip advisor before.................”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I purchased 2 "deals" for $125 ........WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!! This must have been some place when it was built in 1928 as a family lodge. Rich,the owner is a nice man...but his "resort" is in sad, sad shape. Roofs leaking...outdated everything...insect invested.....the "cabins" are cheaply constructed and are in need of major repairs. I can't imagine the overhead here based on the current conditions. The food was not good.
Rich told us that he is retiring...not a bad idea. Hope he sells this site and someone restores it to its glory
Are friends and us "glamped" out and made it home okay.....no insect bites, no mold...disappointed and let down.
Good luck to Rich and his staff.

Room Tip: take a tent it will be nicer than a room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hamburg, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Some people get the wrong idea of what "glamping" is. Glamorous should not be implied but camping is. Hilltop Lodge is in a beautiful location with owner/hosts that you can't beat. We spent 2 days (just got back home) and loved it.
Rich and Rhonda did a wonderful job of making us feel welcome, more like being with family than staying in a motel. The food was excellent. Unfortunately Richard is semi-retired so the restaurant is only open to the guests who are staying over, because if this lodge was any where near where I live, my wife and I would be frequent diners. so I feel bad for the loss to the general public. The food was not just good, it was excellent. We brought our own wine and didn't feel uncomfortable doing it.
The cabins are cabins. They are acceptable for sleeping, better than camping but not a 5 star hotel. Bathrooms are bathrooms and it's so much nicer having them attached than having to walk down to a common area to shower.
If you go here you aren't planning on spending all your time in your room, this is why you go to such a beautiful place for a getaway. We hiked on a 45 degree day and absorbed all the surroundings; the smell of fallen leaves, pine trees with the scent of Christmas, wood burning stoves. This is living. When we wanted to be inside we went to the lodge. It felt like it was your own home, being given free reign to wander back to the fire place, admire the hunting trophies, or have a drink at the bar and shoot pool or foosball or just play a board game at a table.
We drove about 20 minutes in one direction and visited Angelica, a historic small town that we will visit again. It hosts Allegheny county fair and is just a nice slice of the past type of town.
We drove 20 minutes the other direction and visited Cuba. Damn, no Cuban cigars but Cuba cheese company, a very nice small city/village, and antique store. The cheese was the highlight with local cheese being featured at very good prices. Amish cheese is very good.
If you're looking for action and night clubs and sporting events nearby, probably not the place to be. If you want an almost perfect getaway to recharge your batteries or spend time with someone you love, Hilltop Lodge is the place to go. You can feel the history in the air and in the lodge.

Lewiston, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We fell for the $135 "special deal" & since my husband spent lots of time here when it was owned by the Haut family he was excited to see it again. What a dump! This place is filthy, unkept, smelly & the grounds are a disaster. The bathroom sink was all rusted, didn't dare look in the shower.....carpeting was horrible as was the bedspreads from 60's no doubt. The furniture inside the lodge was black with dirt & the whole place smelled musty. We didn't stay even one hour & neither of us was about to sleep or eat there. I'm sure we aren't the only ones to leave.

Room Tip: All the rooms are horrible!
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We bought a deal through LivingSocial. I called the "resort" two days before and said I would be there by noon and if it was a problem to please let me know. We arrived at noon, no one was around. We waited for two hours for someone to show up! When the guy finally showed up I said that I would have appreciated a phone call letting me know I couldn't check in before 2:00 pm. I was polite but frustrated. He told me I needed to "G-d Damn just get over it." Naturally we didn't stay.
While we were waiting we had a chance to walk in some buildings (looking for staff), the restaruant wasn't clean and the buildings were awful.I'm glad we didn't stay.I spoke with a woman in the parkinglot and her tv and a light didn't work in her room.
The owner is a jerk and the place is truly a dump. I don't recommend staying here. I wish I had checked TripAdvisor before I went! It would have saved me time and money.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Pulling in through the woods, this place seemed like it could be really fantastic. We were thinking maybe it would be this fantastical hideaway deep in the woods like the website described. As soon as any buildings came into view our hopes were instantly dashed. I'm sure this property was fantastic in its hayday, maybe the 1930's or 40's, but the fact is this "resort" has gone to crap a long time ago. There is decaying junks on every corner of the property . The "cabins" themselves are in terrible shape. The last time they were probably updated was in the 1960's. Same goes for the linens and the towels. We turned on the shower and a large centipede crawled out. The food was ok at best. Nothing was awful, but nothing was something that I would have paid for at a restaurant. Overall, this whole place felt like a giant scam. Get the people in based on a nice sounding groupon offer, then pull the rug out from under them with an outdated, rundown motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

rich was very nice... it all ended there ..we did not stay...resturant not open..place needs help..bedding appeared clean..door did not lock..all other reviews are right on not what we expected or paid for...only good thing leaves changing color..holiday inn salamaca was very nice we camped there....

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Springville, NY 14141
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Looking at previous reviews, I would say they are right on. The place is worn down and in need of repair. The sliding screen in our room was ripped. The walls were marred and needed painting. The bedding was clean, but there was a hole in one comforter. The locks on the door were difficult to use.

The food was all very good. The owners were very friendly and helpful.

I tried to think of this as "camping," but even there the room just felt dirty. There were cobwebs and the rug was seriously stained. The room did not seem or smell clean. It had a musty smell. You could open the sliding glass door to get some air in, but the screen was ripped, so it also allowed bugs inside.

My son LOVED the gnomes all around, the pond and the gazebo. He liked all the antiques in the lodge and the Foosball.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort? Share your experiences!