“Don't Go!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort

Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolivar
Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort
Save Saved
You added Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort to your Saves list
8015 Messer Hill Road, Bolivar, NY 14715   |
Lewiston, New York
“Don't Go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We fell for the $135 "special deal" & since my husband spent lots of time here when it was owned by the Haut family he was excited to see it again. What a dump! This place is filthy, unkept, smelly & the grounds are a disaster. The bathroom sink was all rusted, didn't dare look in the shower.....carpeting was horrible as was the bedspreads from 60's no doubt. The furniture inside the lodge was black with dirt & the whole place smelled musty. We didn't stay even one hour & neither of us was about to sleep or eat there. I'm sure we aren't the only ones to leave.

Room Tip: All the rooms are horrible!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We bought a deal through LivingSocial. I called the "resort" two days before and said I would be there by noon and if it was a problem to please let me know. We arrived at noon, no one was around. We waited for two hours for someone to show up! When the guy finally showed up I said that I would have appreciated a phone call letting me know I couldn't check in before 2:00 pm. I was polite but frustrated. He told me I needed to "G-d Damn just get over it." Naturally we didn't stay.
While we were waiting we had a chance to walk in some buildings (looking for staff), the restaruant wasn't clean and the buildings were awful.I'm glad we didn't stay.I spoke with a woman in the parkinglot and her tv and a light didn't work in her room.
The owner is a jerk and the place is truly a dump. I don't recommend staying here. I wish I had checked TripAdvisor before I went! It would have saved me time and money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Pulling in through the woods, this place seemed like it could be really fantastic. We were thinking maybe it would be this fantastical hideaway deep in the woods like the website described. As soon as any buildings came into view our hopes were instantly dashed. I'm sure this property was fantastic in its hayday, maybe the 1930's or 40's, but the fact is this "resort" has gone to crap a long time ago. There is decaying junks on every corner of the property . The "cabins" themselves are in terrible shape. The last time they were probably updated was in the 1960's. Same goes for the linens and the towels. We turned on the shower and a large centipede crawled out. The food was ok at best. Nothing was awful, but nothing was something that I would have paid for at a restaurant. Overall, this whole place felt like a giant scam. Get the people in based on a nice sounding groupon offer, then pull the rug out from under them with an outdated, rundown motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

rich was very nice... it all ended there ..we did not stay...resturant not open..place needs help..bedding appeared clean..door did not lock..all other reviews are right on not what we expected or paid for...only good thing leaves changing color..holiday inn salamaca was very nice we camped there....

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Springville, NY 14141
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Looking at previous reviews, I would say they are right on. The place is worn down and in need of repair. The sliding screen in our room was ripped. The walls were marred and needed painting. The bedding was clean, but there was a hole in one comforter. The locks on the door were difficult to use.

The food was all very good. The owners were very friendly and helpful.

I tried to think of this as "camping," but even there the room just felt dirty. There were cobwebs and the rug was seriously stained. The room did not seem or smell clean. It had a musty smell. You could open the sliding glass door to get some air in, but the screen was ripped, so it also allowed bugs inside.

My son LOVED the gnomes all around, the pond and the gazebo. He liked all the antiques in the lodge and the Foosball.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Im not a prima-donna, but a budget conscious traveler/camper. We were shocked +appalled- did not stay. Groupon should NOT promote this place. It was absolutely unacceptable. It was obvious the property had seen better days - run down, unkept, junk lying around. Owner Rich in the Lodge bar collected the tax,gave us keys then a dining room tour. Lodge dng rm was nice in an ADK style, 1950's-dirty-dancing-resort- way, appealing for us. BUT the "cabin" we got was NOT a redwood cabin as advertised. We saw the original redwood cabin -abandon, rundown, surrounded by junk, uninhabitable. Room #10 is a tiny motel room in a ramshackle shed-ish blue building,used as "apartments". Bedding was damp-no humidifier- w/ heavy musty/mildew smell, Room was dark, dingy, grimey looking. A wood pallet was the "porch" outside dirty sliding glass doors w/ a "woods view". Blinds didnt work. The door looked like it had been kicked in. Walls were paper thin, could hear several dogs barking in adjacent room. We left. Rich said "What? Whats the problem?" It MUST be a rehearsed line, he cant be serious. This is how he makes money - by ripping off groupon customers. We thought we might be on candid camera? But no - it was real and we were ripped off. He did refund the $12 tax.

Room Tip: wish we had taken pictures
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

As other reviewers have stated, Owners Richard and Rhonda are gracious hosts. The actual lodge building is made of redwood and is a huge and beautiful building nestled in the woods. Lots of interesting antiques, in the lodge, animal heads adorning the walls over the humungous fireplace (which was lit in the evening). There was a cozy seating area around the fireplace which would probably be really nice in wintertime. Richard is the cook, and the dinner and breakfast included in our Living Social Deal were tasty. Dinner was served buffet style, and we had two choices, meatloaf and turkey with mashed potatoes. There was a large salad bar and very good bread to go with the meal, as well as two dessert options. There was a pool table in the lodge ($.75/game) and a Foosball table (free).

Other than hiking, there is not a lot to do in the area. Unfortunately, due to a recent foot problem, I was unable to actually hike so I can't say how the trail was.

I do have to say a few words about the cabins. Sadly, it's not good. I really wish Richard and Rhonda a successful business, but they need to update the cabins to call this glamorous. I've gone camping at other venues (which did not call themselves glamorous) and had much nicer accommodations. Our bathroom, while slightly updated, was not in good condition. The shower ran two temperatures, hot or cold. Hard to get it to "warm" for more than a few seconds at a time. The furniture in our room was somewhat broken. We did have a small refrigerator and microwave in the room. There was no air conditioning in the room, and although there was a ceiling fan, it only worked when the light was on, so we could not have the fan run while we were trying to sleep. The room had a lot of spiders in it, lots of cobwebs in the rafters, so could have used a better cleaning. The beds themselves were clean and comfortable enough.

The gazebo on the property near the overlook is okay, but needs new seat cushions on the chairs. The ones there were very old, very worn; some even had holes in them where most of the padding was missing. There was a mix of furniture in the gazebo, including wicker furniture which was rotting away.

There was a building, not in use as cabin, which with a little bit of effort would be a lovely family sized cabin. The doors were open so we snuck a peak at this "gem" of a building. It consisted of two cabins, each with two bedrooms, a living room and kitchen. There was a door which would link these two cabins together, making a very large 4 bedroom cabin. Richard and Rhonda should try to fix that building up and just get rid of the very run down current cabins in use and the overall place would be a lot better.

To sum it up, I did not have a bad time. It was relaxing. The grounds are quite beautiful and I can see why Owner Richard loves the place. I just wouldn't call it glamorous, and do feel that it was not accurately portrayed in the sales pitch. If I had payed the "billed valule of $275.00" I would have demanded my money back. At the $135.00 living social deal price, it was probably still a little overpriced.

Room Tip: I understand one room has air conditioning.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilltop Lodge Glamping Resort? Share your experiences!