“Two decades of paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hemlock Hall

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Mountain Lake
Hemlock Hall
You added Hemlock Hall to your Saves list
PO Box 110, Blue Mountain Lake, NY 12812   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Two decades of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2004

Our family's first experience at Hemlock Hall was 3 days of being in paradise. Beautiful accomodations, pristine lake, incredible service and meals made for enjoying. In the past 20 years that we have been vacationing at Hemlock Hall the owner has done a tremendous job in maintaining and upgrading the property and accomodations. But thats's not all the hospitality that is extended to each and every guest is extrordenary. I'll give you some example: I had to return to Albany for one day and would return late that night. I mentioned how much I was going to miss Wednesdays dinner of chicken, biscuits, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, home made bread and chocolate cream pie. Much to my delight when I arrived around 10 pm that night, Paul Provost the owner greeted me at the lodge door and had me sit down to a piping hot dinner. Or the time a group of boys scouts got cought in a down pour camping nearby. Mr Provost provided food and a place at the lodge free of charge. At first I was reluctant to write this as I'd prefer to keep the little piece of paradise to my family and friends but sometimes you just have to share one of natures great gifts and the Provost family who have taken the pledge to preserve this spectacular vacation paradise

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2004

Hemlock Hall is a haven from the everyday stresses of modern life. The pace is set by you - you can spend the day hiking, canoeing, fishing, working on your tan, reading a book, or just sitting and watching the waves go by. There's plenty to do that will keep your heart rate up if you want to, but most visitors choose to do otherwise. Hemlock Hall is not for everyone. If you want to be pampered and waited on hand and foot - and there's nothing wrong with that - this is not the place for you. And for the people who love HH, as we like to refer to it, that's perfectly fine with us. The food is classic mom's homecooking, but more plentiful than when you had to fight your sister or brother for seconds - and you don't even have to do the dishes. Calling HH 'cultish' gives such a negative impression. Yeah, the folks who love it enough to return year after year are pretty passionate about the experience. They value the family atmosphere and rustic setting. They are also passionate about retaining that atmosphere. While the owner keeps the grounds and buildings in excellent repair, he no doubt knows that there'd be a riot if he ever installed a TV or a phone in the rooms. If I want to know what havoc is going on in the world during my week at HH, I can always get a newpaper at Hoss's in Long Lake. But frankly, unless there's nuclear fallout heading our way, I've found that I don't really need to know and that the world goes on without me that week, and for that, and many other things about HH, I will be eternally grateful.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2004

I have been going to Blue Mt. Lake since 1943 and to Hemlock Hall specifically since 1973. This is my home away from home. The prices are reasonable, the food is fantastic and the people we meet are wonderful. It is much like paradise, no phones, Internet, and newspapers only if you go looking for them. Thank you Paul and Susan for so many years of wonderful family vacationing.

Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2004

Our family has been going to Hemlock Hall every year since 1987. My sons, now 20 and 24, still want to go. We just returned from another week of heaven. Paul, the owner, makes everyone feel welcome. Kids of all ages have a great time. Hiking, kayaks, swimming, whatever your heart desires. Yes, there are groups that come each year. But it is far from "cultish". Two meals a day (love that Saturday turkey dinner!) are provided. Seating arrangements change each meal. Therefore, you get acquainted with most guests. By mid-week you are friends with everyone! I can't imagine a summer without Hemlock Hall.

• Stayed July 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

My family and I go to Hemlock Hall during the summer. My children love making bread at night with Paul the owner:) Being that we get seated with other families for our meals, my children have had the chance to make "new" friends and enjoyed playing at the beach with the other guests. The private white sand beach has been a lovely spot for my family and I to enjoy our summer afternoons during our vacation!! we'll be back this summer, and hope for another wonderful stay in 2005!:)

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2004

Hemlock Hall is nice. It is located ideally. The food is average, a little heavy for Summer time. Sometimes you feel; as though your sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal! The atmosphere is relaxing, but it seems cultish in a sense, meaning that you can't get a reservation unless you have been coming there for 347 years, and the people who go there seem to be buddy's with the proprietor. Everyone there knows everyone else because they all come back on the same week every year.
Some told me that they watched kids grow up there? I guess that can be kind of nice, but it would also be nice to be able to call 6 months in advance & be able to get a room for a couple of nights. without being part of the "club."

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2003

We have been coming to Hemlock Hall for 15 years now. The atmosphere there is kid-friendly, warm, laid back and a place to build memories that last a lifetime. It is truly a place to replenish the inner spirit as you hike, kayak, or just sit on the dock at twilight soaking up the Adironcack tranquility!We have never had a problem with reservations......... and oh yes!.......the fresh-baked that guests are givesn as they leave is yummy on the way home!

Been to Hemlock Hall? Share your experiences!