“Not perfect but not a boring chain hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Royale Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Collier St, Binghamton, NY 13901   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Binghamton
Charleston, WV
“Not perfect but not a boring chain hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

If you like the predictability and conformity of a chain hotel, then this is not for you. But if you like interesting architecture and proximity to downtown and are not planning an extended stay, this is nice place. Best thing is that it is within walking distance to the Lost Dog Café. We got a queen room which was not very big but it was well equipped with a small fridge, coffee maker, microwave. The bathroom did not have a tub, only a shower, but the bath was very clean. The wallpaper was peeling and the paint around the thick deep molding surrounding the window was peeling, so if that kind of thing bothers you this is not the place for you. On the other hand it had great lighting and nice mirrors. They appear to be slowly improving the property (it is no longer a Clarion). Be aware that if you stay on a Friday or Saturday while college is in session that this is located in the middle of the college bar scene and is noisy at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I needed to spend one night in Binghamton and when I read on the Internet about this former City Hall being converted into a hotel and then after seeing pictures of its lobby, etc., I decided to stay there instead of one of the cookie-cutter chain hotels/motels. I was thoroughly delighted with the historic ambience of the place and the employees were extremely gracious and went out of their way in making me feel at home. I even had chocolate-chip cookies 'on the house' before retiring. I did not expect this, but I was not surprised by this extra detail. Breakfast of yogurt, bagels and cereal was also free and the coffee was delicious. I read of some of the negative reviews of the Grand Royale that have been posted to this site, and I can not help but wonder what agenda motivated these reviewers, for I could not find one negative item to pass on. I would welcome another trip to Binghamton and to a stay at this very special hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reston, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We didn't stay at this hotel after booking it. When we checked in, the room had a broken AC unit and box fan in the room. It was on the top floor and very stuffy when we walked in. The furniture was in disrepair and the rug was dirty. The other room (we had reserved 2) had similar appearance and the window sill was filled with dead bugs.

We didn't stay and won't try it again. We had stayed a few years ago, and while old, it was clean and quaint. Too bad they let it go.

As we were getting our cancellation settled, another couple and their children were waiting to do the same. They went to their rooms to find them bare - no furniture! Not even a bed! What is going on there???

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Pros:
- Excellent downtown Binghamton location directly across from restaurants.
- Large FREE parking garage on property location AND several FREE parking spaces
adjacent to Hotel.
- Very accommodating, friendly, hospitable staff (they did not charge us for cancelling room
after 6:00pm & offered to switch rooms if we decided we needed a bigger room.)
- FREE continental breakfast (begins @ 6:00am) and free local and national newspapers
provided. FREE WI-FI, Gym, and in-room Keurig Coffee.
- Rooms are clean and accommodating.
- VERY GOOD value for location & amenities provided. Triple AAA Discounts available.
- BONUS: Really interesting architecture & history; building was formally the original City
Hall.

Cons:
- Challenging to find Hotel during Binghamton downtown construction project (2012).
- Need to know to enter the Hotel off of main street side as front doors are
locked after a certain hour at night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

I made a reservation through Expedia from the road, I was told this hotel had a good rating. When arrived very late, the entire block was closed out, something happened at the night club right at the back of the hotel, police vans patrolling. The dirty looking receptionist invited me to check in, but when I entered the rotten smell hit me and I just could not imagine my kids and myself sleeping in the room of that hotel. I did not stay in that hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Finding your way in during construction was a hassle...and we did have some complications, but we were put in a room we weren't supposed to be in. Evening desk help is rather useless, but the Daytime staff very helpful and kind. People, let me be honest here, don't stay here if you're looking for the comfort and security of a chain hotel. You stay here because of it's history, it's uniqueness and character. Even with all the complications I'd stay here again. It's right in the center of the action too! If you like to people watch or join in, the fun is happening right there. Sexy little hotel bar with a rich mahogany bar and a fantastic bartender.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
York PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before. However, we were not aware that they are tearing all the downtown roads up in Binghamton and they also were having a July Festival and closed up the street where we normally enter the hotel. Once we finally figured out how to get in the parking lot, we discovered that they have changed the hotel's lobby and it is on the opposite side. Once we did get into the lobby there were about 30 young girls from a girls soft ball league signing into the hotel. It was very frustrating because it was obvious that the receptionist at the front desk was overwhelmed. Thankfully the coach of the baseball team told them to let us go first. Otherwise, it would have probably been over an hour before we could ever get to our room. Had to book here because the other hotels were filled. When we go back at Christmas will go back to the Riverwalk Hotel and will book it early! The only positive was that they had a Keurig in our room and it was right across from my son's bar so that we didn't have to drive whatsoever. Would only go back if there was no place in Binghamton to stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!