“Short overnight stays” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Binghamton
Ottawa, Canada
“Short overnight stays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were travelling to Allentown PA from Ottawa and decided to stop in Binghamton for the night. We had a great room clean and well kept. We ate at the hotel restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the friendly personnel as well as the very good steak we were served. We enjoyed our stay so much that we stayed there on our way back as well. We must mention the "savoir faire" of the restaurant manager Jennnine and David whom appeared to be the chef as he was very interested in our appraisal of the food and wine. The personal touch of these employees made us feel welcomed as if we were family. We hope that they will read these comments or made aware of our appreciation for their excellent services.
Colleen and Réal Ottawa

Room Tip: Holiday Inn is a safe bet for us when travelling. We enjoyed the view on the river from our room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Syracuse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have stayed at this location 50+ times. The rooms are as expected for Holiday Inn quality. The staff is very nice. Lindsey made check in very welcoming. The bar was a nice addition. The restaurant was just OK.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Your comments are much valued in my book as you are such a loyal guest of the hotel with fifty different visits. Please stop in and say hello next time and I will buy you and your travel partner dinner in our restaurant as I would very much value your comments on the changes that we have made in our restaurant. Thank you again, Bob Greene, General Manager
Bayonne, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Good service very near to BU.. Will suggest this for anyone going to visit BU. Very calm and good view of the BU. nothing much to do around here but if your visiting the school on business perps this the best bet around here. lots of fine dining near by that is a ++

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments and I agree with you, there are several terrific restaurants close by. If you stay again, please stop in and say hello, Bob Greene, General Manager.
West Chester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My first trip to Bingamton in over 20 years. The town has changed, and not for the better. I drove through some dicey neighborhoods to get here, so I was concerned. Front desk was prompt & polite on check-in. The room is OK; older but with some new furnishings. The walls are paper-thin; you can hear your neighbors' conversations as if they were on the bed next to you.

But the good news is that the fan for the AC/Heater is strong. I put it on manual "on" and it covered all the noise. My room was comfortable and I slept like a baby. In the AM I looked out the window to find a very pleasant river view. I would return if I ever come back to the city.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be quiet, but the river view is probably better if you can get it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your candid, but pleasant comments about your recent stay here in Binghamton.
That is a terrific tip about getting a river view room as it is quite a lovely view. If your travels bring you back here again, please say hello!! Bob Greene, General Manager.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I don't like to give negative reviews, but sometimes you need to say it. While it was very nice to be so close to downtown, there were several incompetent staff members that made my stay here not so great. The room was pretty comfortable and fairly clean, but the service staff (room service, rude maids, some front desk people, waiters, bartenders) needs some intense training. Breakfast in the restaurant was awful and the service person was confused about everything and veerrry slooow.

Room Tip: One side has a nice river view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
I have read your comments and wanted to formally apologize for the quality of the service you received at my hotel. In my world, I have to deal with broken elevators, power outages, floods etc. An attitude of indifference from one of my employees to a guest is totally unacceptable. I am well aware of the training issues in the restaurant, and have recently taken over the selection of staff.

Please, at your pleasure, call me at 607-722-1212 as I would like to make amends for the poor stay.

Bob Greene, General Manager
Patchogue, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Overall, the town of Binghamton is devastated by the floods they had last year. Be prepared to see lots of boarded up buildings, torn up roads and sidewalks, and an overall gloomy air over this town. FEMA came in and declared it a disaster area. Businesses are starting back up, though, and the town could certainly use some visitors to spend some money there. That being said, the hotel was recently remodeled, clean, and had friendly staff. We stayed here on points and had a very large suite. It was clean and spacious with a nice view of the river. Overall, it is still just an average hotel, though. There are not many restaurants in walking distance, but we did find a brewery just a block up from the hotel. It had good beer and average food. Small menu, but they just opened two months ago. The hotel's bar had very good food, and service was okay. Breakfast the next morning is where my issue is with this hotel. We walked into the restaurant and were seated and told that our server would be with us and that we could start on the buffet when we were ready. After waiting for the server to greet us and bring our water and coffee for five minutes, we decided to get up and get food. We came back to the table, and the server still did not come. We still had no water or coffee as we ate. The food at the buffet was not good. Soggy sausage patties, thick scrambled eggs, burnt bacon, and stiff French toast. We were seated right behind the hostess stand, and were shocked to hear the hostess offer menus to the next guests who came in! We would have loved to order off of the menu had it been an option that was given to us! My husband finally asked a random waitress to bring us water and coffee, and she did. The breakfast ended up being free because they had given us a coupon as Priority Club members, and I'm glad it was because the buffet and service was terrible. The servers were all very friendly; however, it seems that it is a training issue more than anything else. Overall, if we were in Binghamton again we would stay here, but have learned how to better handle our dining experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your service experience at the Holiday Inn Binghamton. We are aware of some of the challenges with our restaurant service and are working hard to change that. Your comments regarding the experience of your stay were positive as we strive for a friendly staff! If your travels bring you back to Binghamton, please stop in and say hello and I will show you the improvements in our restaurant service!! Bob Greene, General Manager.
Levittown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This was not our first stay here. There were problems with check in before but nothing like this. Reservation was made Monday, March 19, 2012, and we informed the reservation staff that we were priority members and needed a room early afternoon as we were there for an immediate family member viewing and funeral. We arrived Tuesday 3/20/12 at 1:00pm and were informed no rooms were available. We returned at 2:45pm and the room they provided had a temperature of 80 degrees. We turned the air conditioner on and only hot air came out. My husband checked with the front desk and the offered two fans and to open the windows. This would not do as I have asthma. I inquired at the front desk how long the air was not working and they refused to respond until I pushed the issue. (There was no way that room went from cool to 80 degrees in 2 hours). The response was they are working on the problem. Again no answer, I demanded to know how long the air was truly not working. The staff finally came clean….he truth was the air conditioning in the building did not work since the prior Friday…. To us that is deceitful and unethical behavior not to inform a guest that the facility was not working properly and then to cover it up upon our 1:00pm arrival and when we made reservations. My husband insisted they find us another hotel for us and our sister and brother in law (brother in law has a serious heart problem and needs air condition). There was no compensation for the trouble they caused (you would think they would pay at least for the first night). My husband missed the first hour of his sister's viewing (just added more to the emotions he already was experiencing). This hotel did nothing but add more burden upon burden. All this could have been avoided if they were honest when we booked the rooms and when we arrived. To top this off, when I was inquiring at the front desk the owner of the hotel was behind me and did not have the courtesy of speaking to me personally about this issue. I do not recommend this hotel based on their lack of honesty, lack of professional and definitely unethical behavior. We will never recommend staying here. This is just no way to service the public or anyone. Ratings based on all stays

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
BabeZ18,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the air conditioning issue you experienced. We did indeed have a problem that took a couple days to completely repair. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Ben J
IHG Care

Been to Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown? Share your experiences!