“Like Being in Gramma's Kitchen!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 193 Restaurants in Binghamton
Cuisines: Ukrainian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Taste of Europe serves a unique blend of recipes from the old country while using the freshest ingredients available to create dishes that make a memorable dining experience for all individuals. Because of their commitment to give people as real-as-possible taste of Europe, they make all of their dishes from scratch and serve only the finest foods made with the freshest ingredients while avoiding preservatives and chemically-based products, just as it was done in the old country. The time and the effort put into making each perogy, holupki and each of the other dishes guarantees only the best quality.
Binghamton, New York
“Like Being in Gramma's Kitchen!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Small and welcoming, this retaurant serves you family style Eastern European food that will warm your heart and your stomach. If you're brave and hungry, ask them to put together a traditional meal for you like we did. You may have to bring your dessert home for later, but that Walnut Cake (made on site) SHOULD be savored...every last bite!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Binghamton, New York
“Authentic holubtsi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I keep going back there for holupkies, though the recipe is different from my grandmother's, they are delish. 4 for $6.50 is a steal and it's a fulfilling meal. My kids love 'vareniki' or perogies, ESP apple filled ones with sour cream. Ask for few bags to go and boil at home serve with sour cream for a traditional Slovak/ Russian meal.

Boston, Massachusetts
“terrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

On our way back to Boston, we stopped by Binghampton. since it was our first time in town, we logged onto Tripadvisor to find a restaurant for dinner. We found Taste of Europe. Everything was microwaved because we heard the ding of the microwave berfore every one of our dishes was sent out. The most ridiculous dish was the "BBQ Chicken". Reheated BBQ chicken leg (one leg) that was brushed with some (bottled) BBQ sauce. Ding, it was divered to our table. We expected some Home style European food but we got Microwave left overs. Trust my feedback because we really dined there and paid so REALLY, it was terrible! TERRIBLE!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We ate lunch here on a recent Friday. My mother was Ukrainian, but I didn't expect to find the borscht and holupki at Taste of Europe to be exactly like, or even close to, the way she made them. As much as I enjoyed my mother's versions, Taste of Europe's were excellent too. The holupki (rolled cabbage stuffed with ground meat, rice and grated carrot) were served with a buttery mushroom sauce, instead of the more familiar tomato sauce and caraway seed. They had less zing, but were enjoyably different and tasty. Next came the chicken schnitzel, two pieces of thin, breaded, boneless chicken breasts. They looked plain sitting alone on the plate, but were light, tender and wonderfully seasoned. Next came the Teftele, which are meatballs in a cream sauce that are served only Thurs through Saturday. I never had these before, and have no idea if they are a Ukranian, Russian, Jewish dish or some combination of them; all I know is they were the highlight of the meal. The restaurant grinds the chicken, pork and beef for the meatballs themselves, and serves them rolled in, or sprinkled with, dill in a buttery, mushroom gravy. The combination of flavors was wonderful. After these came the borscht; the owner was happy to split an order so the two of us could each savor a cup. Their version is much different and less tangy than the borscht my mother made, but no less delicious. Theirs had potato and beans along with the grated beets, some chunks of beef, a dollop of sour cream and a bit of tomato in the broth. We ended the meal with a piece of Ptashine Moloko cake, which was five alternating layers of chocolate and a white cream. It was very light and mildly sweet and a nice way to end our hearty meal. For drinks we tried their homemade punch, which has a soft cherry flavor, and a bottle of lemon Russian soda, which was light on sugar and just lemony and sparkly enough to balance the hearty meat dishes we ate. The owner was patient in explaining the dishes to us, and helpful in suggesting dishes we could easily share. We asked how the location in downtown Binghamton was working for him, and when he said not so good, we recommended he move to Ithaca so we could eat at his restaurant more often. Until then, we plan to make the trek back to Binghamton to eat here again.

• Visited December 2012
Ambler, Pennsylvania
“I am a borscht believer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Dont let the small size of this place keep you away. The food is amazing! Me and my husband stopped in for dinner before a concert, and were blown away! For starters my husband had the Oliver salad. It was delicious. I tried borscht for the first time and now I want to live on it! It is a bright red beet soup, with beef and I think some potato's, served with a bit of sour cream. Seriously the best thing I have ever tasted! I will be back just for the soup, even though Binghamton is not that close to me! Our main dishes were wonderful as well. I had chicken schnitzel, and while it looked rather plain in the plate, the flavor was wonderful. We split a piece of choclate cake for desert, I can remember the actual name of it, that was also delicious. So it may be about 2 hours away, but somehow I am going to make myself a regular!

• Visited December 2012