“Like staying at a family member's home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Watkins Glen Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaver Dams
You added Watkins Glen Guesthouse to your Saves list
1425 Roloson Hollow Rd, Beaver Dams, NY 14812   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Beaver Dams B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Like staying at a family member's home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

What a great find. We really enjoyed our stay at the Watkins Glen Guesthouse. Hank was a very entertaining person along with his dog Soggy Paws. We arrived very late and he was gracious and kind and invited us to sit by a campfire in the yard. He allowed us to have a guest meet us there at 11:30 pm! Most places would not be so accommodating. The house was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was serve yourself and his pantry was stocked to the gills. Hank had snacks galore for his guests and a nice warm fire in the house. We loved how casual and inviting our stay was. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights during end august 2013. Bedrooms: comfortable and cosy with passable toilets. A place more to enjoy the raw beauty around. 45 minutes drive away from Cornell, this was an appropriate escape to experience the surroundings of Ithaca. Hank is extremely amicable and ever eager to help. Its a pity we could not use the property well, which is suited for BBQs, bonefires and family outings. Shall return in the coming years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hudson, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Depending on what you are looking for, this place could be very nice for you. It is away from the towns, so you will have relaxing noise-free evenings except for the frogs and other wildlife. However, getting away from town also means that you are more than walking distance from restaurants, etc. Stil, my wife and I enjoyed walking the rural roads while looking at the various wildlife that happened across our path.

The guesthouse does have many amenities, such as high speed Internet, Netflix, a firepit in the back yard. However, for my own personal preference, I tend to go to places like this to separate myself from the electronic world, so Internet access or unlimited movies are not a selling point for me.

A full kitchen is at your disposal for any meal that you might want to cook. All you have to do is to get the ingredients. So if you are more inclined to cook rather than eat out, this place will certainly help with that. Also, as this is a guesthouse rather than a bed and breakfast, there is no breakfast served in the morning although Hank does have many snacks available.

Overall, it looks like Hank is working to get this place in the best shape possible. In our room, there was a private bath, even though it did not have a door. Although the shower stall was very small, Hank indicated that it was his plan to install a much larger shower.

The primary problem that I had with the place started off as a relatively minor thing. The shower in the room did not have much in the way of cold water. In any establishment, things are going to break. The problem is not whether anything breaks but how the proprietor responds to these circumstances. No real problem as Hank worked quickly to have it repaired before we got back to the house that evening. The problem was that Hank offered to refund part of my bill due to the inconvenience. Well, I thought that was very generous on his part, particularly since I had not requested any kind of refund. The following morning, Hank mentioned it again, including the specific amount that he was going to refund. I responded that I was certainly not going to say no and that I appreciated his willingness to refund part of the bill. Now the problem. After initiating the discussion twice about refunding part of the bill, Hank did not follow through. As I paid in full in advance, any refund would clearly show as a credit on my account. However, no such credit has appeared on my bill, and it has been about 6-7 weeks since we stayed there. Honestly, if he had just fixed the fixture and never mentioned a refund, then I would not have thought much about it. But to initiate conversation about a refund twice and then not follow through is not a best business practice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hank D, Owner at Watkins Glen Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
From Hank the Innkeeper:

Hi Phil, Thank you for your feedback and some kind words.
it's good to hear from you...
although the content of your post is not quite up to speed.

I'd like to address you directly and appreciate TripAdvisor's allowing me to respond.

TIME:
Your stay was very early in the summer while we were still working out kinks in the system here.... that was early July, it's now into September and a lot of changes have been made.

BREAKFAST:
Yes, we are not a B&B, we are an Inn, a guesthouse.
Breakfast here now includes 2 Keurig Coffee makers, Glen Mountain artisan breads, Thomas' English Muffins, Bagels, Pastries, high quality cereals with different milks and almond milk, fresh berries, toaster pastries, breakfast bars, yogurt, fruit juice, fresh fruit, fruit cups... just about any "non-cooked" item you could think of... and we always ask our guests if there is anything special they would like us to pick up for them. While we may not technically be a Bed and Breakfast because we don't special order cooked items, this is well above and beyond a Continental Breakfast.

SHOWER AND BATH:
Yes, you are correct, the shower knob broke off, and yes, I fixed it very quickly. It now has a brand new fixture, a curtain on the entryway and as before, renovations for a completely reconfigured bathroom with jacuzzi tub, large shower and door will be completed by April 1.

YOUR REFUND:
It was processed and batched the same night and should have posted to your account within 24-72 hours... I'm looking into it tonight... I would have appreciated a quick text, email or call about not receiving it rather than dedicating a paragraph to it on TripAdvisor.... you know me to be attentive and quick... this should be no exception, right?

OUR LOCATION:
We accurately portray our property as a "High Tech Country Home".
The reality is we are just a 7 minute drive to Watkins, 5 minutes to Montour or the Track, so it's not like we're out in the boonies, but yes, the wildlife and scenery is gorgeous.

Again I appreciate your input.
You'd really love the changes we've made already like the fitness room!
Hope to see you again so that you can experience our changes and improvements :)

Follow us on our blog at: http://watkinsglenguesthouse.com/blog/index.html

Best Always
Hank the Innkeeper
Somers Point, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The accommodations were very relaxing and like being at home. Hank was always available to answer any questions and give us great advise on what to do and see in the surrounding area.
The guesthouse was clean and stock up full of great snacks and beverages. We really enjoyed the breakfast time meeting all the guests that shared the house. The fire pit was roaring at night was fun stilling around and sharing wonderful stories and meeting people from all over. We stayed for four nights and had an incredible experience visiting all the local wineries and visiting all the historical towns near by. We stayed with our new greyhound Spyder and she loved all the guest she met and they enjoyed playing with her too! Thanks Hank for a spectacular vacation!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Hank the innkeeper is a friendly, enthusiastic guy and the guesthouse has a lot of great features (free drinks, coffee, snacks, fire pit, grill, etc.). It's clean and situated in quiet, rural setting, which I found pleasant. It's clear, though, that Hank is new at running at a guesthouse, which remains a work in progress. The biggest drawback by far is the lack of bathrooms (one for multiple rooms) which can pose an issue at peak times. The sole shower also broke during our stay and guests including ourselves were left without a shower for the evening while it was being fixed. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would probably return, but I wasn't happy that I couldn't shower and that it took so long to repair.

• Stayed July 2013
Hank D, Owner at Watkins Glen Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Stephanie and Scott,

I highly value my guests feedback, which is why I have such a thorough in house score card.

On the other hand, when a guest creates a problem by breaking or damaging property, misleads the TripAdvisor reader with false statements and neglects to mention outstanding amenities... well, I have a problem with that as both the hard working owner of the guesthouse and as a traveler myself that often relies on these reviews.

Specifics:

You did not mention the other half bath available to you, the gourmet kitchen that you got a lot of use with, the 50MBS free WiFi, the Cable TV with sports packages, Netflix, etc. etc.

The shower did not break, SCOTT YANKED IT DOWN AND BROKE IT, while simultaneously hosing down the entire bathroom and shorting out not only the shared bathroom GFI outlet, but a private bath on the opposite wall in another room.

Scott not only broke that perfectly good shower head, and completely unapologetic about it, he was downright insulting an hour after I fixed it in front of many guests in the livingroom, indicating clearly that HE had been inconvenienced and that the repair had taken too long... Absolutely Incredible!

I was out shopping for the guests and had to detour to go out and buy a new shower fixture on a busy Saturday night.

To be very clear... I AM NOT new to running guest accommodations and I find your view of my business to be inaccurate and downright misleading.

I provide value and amenities that are unheard of anywhere else in order to provide an outstanding guest experience and I work my butt off to ensure that happens.

I avoid negativity in my responses and posts, but this particular situation required this type of response.

Hank Dean
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Excellent stay as we found solitude at the pond listening to the sounds of nature around us. We attended the Wine and Food Fest in Watkins Glen and found it easy to get around town thanks to the innkeeper, Hank. He certainly made certain we were comfortable!

The accommodations were exactly what we were looking for. Simple and pleasant.

Thank you for the wonderful stay, Hank! We can't wait to go back! This time with our fishing poles!
Donalee and Johnny

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Watkins Glen Guesthouse? Share your experiences!