“Eating well in Woodstock, N.Y.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bearsville
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
USA
“Eating well in Woodstock, N.Y.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

This place has been the place to go in the area for years, and what it makes it so wonderful is that the team at the Bear Cafe continue to produce a quality product, year after year. Their staff is well trained, the menu is constantly updated and you should never leave dissatisfied.
One of their signature dishes is their fried chicken, there was nothing left over to take home. Their seafood linguine was outstanding as was their cassoulet. For starters I had scallops wrapped in bacon, cooked just right. Salads were crisp and fresh.
If you want to try one of their cocktails, give the sugar bear a shot.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kingston, New York
“Exquisite and worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I dined at The Bear Cafe tonight and were very impressed with the following:

1. Decor and ambiance. This restaurant is large and breathtakingly beautiful. Lots of natural wood and warm tones. We were seated by the window and watched the stream flow by

2. Service and professionalism. Our server was Melissa who was friendly and very efficient. She is an asset to this restaurant and a pleasure to meet.

3. Food and drink.

The food is delicious and fresh and portions were enormous. We believe tha good bread makes a restaurant and the warm, freshly baked semolina bread was perfect. We chose French onion soup and the kale salad with ricitta salata and black grapes as our appetizers which were filling and tasty. Our entrees, angus strip steak for hubby and Szechuan whole fried snapper for me were mouthwatering and top quality. Keegan Ale products are on tap and served cold and refreshingly. Dessert choices were many but we chose a molten belgian chocolate meltaway cake with roasted strawberries and vanilla ice cream and a cream puff with salted caramel. Perfection and the grand finale for a wonderful meal.

4. Reservations. Make one, NOW! You will thank me afterward!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NJ
“One of my favorite restaurants ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Bear Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants. I make sure every time I visit the Woodstock area, I have dinner at the Bear Cafe. The food is always excellent (my particular favorite is the pumpkin ravioli) and is sourced locally. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, especially on a cold winter night! The restaurant is also located next to the Bearsville Theatre where you can catch some great shows. Any trip to Woodstock should include dinner at Bear Cafe.

Albany, New York
“Great Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The food here is top notch. Excellent selection and service. For apps, drinks, dinner, desert, expect to be between 100-150. Well worth it for a very enjoyable dining experience and flavorful dishes. Be warned everyone knows about this place so it gets busy!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Incredibly Rude Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A friend of mine and I tried to stop in here for brunch on a Saturday. Much to my own fault I read their website wrong and they unfortunately are only open for brunch on Sundays. However, I will never go back to The Bear because of how rude the woman manager there was to me. Rather than just saying "I'm sorry, we're not open for lunch today." She insisted on scolding me by saying "that's why it's generally a good idea to call ahead" in the most condescending and rude tone I've ever been spoken to as a customer. I didn't realize that walking through their doors was such an inconvenience but I assure you I will never do it again.