“Incredibly Rude Management” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Boston, Massachusetts
“Incredibly Rude Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A friend of mine and I tried to stop in here for brunch on a Saturday. Much to my own fault I read their website wrong and they unfortunately are only open for brunch on Sundays. However, I will never go back to The Bear because of how rude the woman manager there was to me. Rather than just saying "I'm sorry, we're not open for lunch today." She insisted on scolding me by saying "that's why it's generally a good idea to call ahead" in the most condescending and rude tone I've ever been spoken to as a customer. I didn't realize that walking through their doors was such an inconvenience but I assure you I will never do it again.

New York City, New York
“Beautiful setting - excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Bear Cafe has a warm and comfortable ambiance overlooking a stream. We made reservations but they could not guarantee a table by the window - it is a first come first serve reservation for those tables. We were fortunate to arrive for an early dinner and be seated by the window and that added to the experience. The food was well prepared and delicious and the service was excellent. We definitely would return when visiting the Woodstock area.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
in the Big Apple
“Romantic, Cozy, Warm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were very pleased with our BnB's referral to the Bear Cafe. Very pleasing interior, attentive waiter, delicious, attractively presented food. I had the red snapper and hubby had the sirloin. Neither of us could finish the portions. We also started with the quesadilla which would have been better shared by 4 than 2. Their bread was out of this world! Fabulous.

Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“Good food. Stays open late.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

One of the very few good restaurants in the area that stay open late and also do take-out. Very delicious food, good wine, but don't forget to make a reservation otherwise there will be a lengthy wait to be seated. For take out call well in advance.

Visited October 2013
Albany, New York
“Excellent combination of ambiance, interesting menu, and location overlooking water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been here several times and never have been let down. The location is just a couple of miles outside of the main village, on the main road but the setting is wooded and right on the creek. Request a table by the window if you'll be eating during daylight hours because the restaurant is situated right over the water...lovely. Even the bar overlooks the water, so this is a great place if you are just looking for a drink and perhaps something light at the bar. The waiting area is even quaint and overlooks the water. I'm not sure about outdoor dining or delivery... you'd have to call. The lighting is perfect...cozy and romantic. Not a place to bring the kids unless they can hang in a more grown up atmosphere and chill out. The interior is lots of wood...great fireplace. The food is contemporary without trying too hard. Everything they do, they do well. The pumpkin ravioli was excellent, as was the french onion soup, grilled bean curd salad, and huge steak sandwich. I've never seen so many fries on one plate, actually. The service was attentive...normal staff with no attitudes. The cost was about $90 for 3. I've been here at lunch time, too and had an excellent brunch type entree as well. Just a wonderful place for so many reasons!

• Visited October 2013