“Hit and Miss” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Hit and Miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was my third stay and probably the last. One, the prices have skyrocketed and even the Inn is not special enough to warrant nearly $300 a night!
Also, I had a bad customer service experience, though a fabulous massage with Eric, when I used the spa. I booked neck and shoulder massage at one price but was charged more. I was argued with by the spa recetionist. So I paid her higher price. When I checked the website, I saw I was right and showed her. She said I would get a refund but it never happened. And this was after she made me feel bad about not having cash for tip by continually empasizing that the masseusse had to wait to get the tip in their paycheck if I charged it. But since I had driven over from the Lodge and just brought a credit card I didnt have cash on me (and your payroll policies arent my rrsponsibility) there wasnt much I could do but feel crummy about it.
Otherwise it was clean and charming and the staff at the Lodge was friendly. Too bad it is unaffordable to me now.

• Stayed January 2014
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience, and please accept our most sincere of apologies. The Spa at Bear Mountain is independently operated, however I have forwarded your feedback directly to them as it is absolutely never acceptable for our guests to be spoken to in this manner. Immediate training will take place to ensure the warmth and hospitality felt throughout the resort are also mirrored in The Spa.

All the Best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed in the Inn after a friend's wedding in the main building. The room was spacious and well-decorated. There are plenty of activities nearby such as ice skating and the carousel, so it's a nice retreat even in winter. This is a large property (Inn, Lodge, and Cottages) so it's easy to get confused or lost when arriving; be sure to know exactly where you booked your reservation. Great atmosphere for a wedding as well. Definitely plan to visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Our Best.
aol.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Last year was the first in 20 that our family did not make the yearly after Christmas visit and we missed it! This year, because of family scheduling conflicts only my husband and I could go. It was a change with just the two of us (instead of 9-10) but we were excited at the opportunity to stay at the renovated Inn. I loved this place before and my feelings certainly have not changed. The renovations are impressive. Our room was large and comfortable...a 1/2 step up from the Overlook Lodge...certainly fancier. I was a little surprised that the caulking around the tub had a moldy look. It could be remedied with a spray of bleach. The staff was cordial, helpful and friendly throughout our stay. Though the Inn was lovely and we enjoyed our visit I was disappointed that what used to be the large great room is now the 1915 restaurant. It was so nice before when groups could gather in front of that terrific fireplace and warm up after ice skating or hiking. The wonderful rustic furniture that used to be in that room is now in sitting areas in the lobby...nice... but it's a shame that the only people who can enjoy the fireplace now are the diners in the pricey restaurant. We reserved 2 nights at the Inn but decided to stay an extra night (remember, I love the place). Due to a wedding we had to take a room at the Overlook Lodge. No disappointment here. This place is warm, cozy and is well managed. We had a plumbing issue and the young man in charge (I think his name is Chris) was professional and attentive and took care of the problem quickly. He also kept a fire blazing in the common area. Really appreciated this. The rooms are smaller here and a little more rustic. Our bathtub glazing was starting to peel but who cares? The phenomenal view of the Hudson from our room made everything good!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review - and for your wonderfully loyal patronage of Bear Mountain. We are honored to have you as our guest and are thrilled that you enjoy the grounds. Changing the great room into Restaurant 1915 has been a transition, but our hope is that guests will enjoy it with the same vigor as in generations past.
Thank you again for making Bear Mountain a family tradition. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We went to the Bear Mountain Inn for a one night stay in January. We stayed in one of the cottages. I knew it would be rustic and that was fine, BUT the there is one thermostat for the entire building (6 rooms in each cottage)! Rooms were freezing cold, the thermostat only goes to 72 degrees. The common area gets the heat. We had to rig a system to crack windows in the common area so that the heat would stay on and eventually warm our room! Even though the fireplace was not in use the entire time we were there the place smelled of smoke.
The old stone and style of the building is charming, but inside it is very run down.
The rooms are extrememly small and bathroom is tiny too.
We had a wonderful dinner at the 1915 restaurant. The food and service were great!
The grounds, trails, park and lake area are beautiful.

Room Tip: I only saw the rooms in the cottages, maybe the rooms in the Inn are in better condition.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you very much for sharing some feedback about your recent stay in the Stone Cottages. Please accept our apologies that the accommodations were disappointing. The Stone Cottages are quite rustic, and while we love the charm, I've forwarded your comments to our facilities team, as they should not leave our guests feeling cold, or that they are run down.

Thank you so much for visiting Bear Mountain - we hope that you might visit us again, and take advantage of another of our accommodations. The Overlook Lodge and The Inn both offer very different experiences.

Wallkill, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Went to dinner with another Soldier at the Bear Mountain Inn on the 11th; had great service and excellent food!! Upon arriving at the Inn we made our way to the restaurant, where we were greeted by the bus girls & manager Hyla, who were extremely happy looking, they never stopped smiling from the moment we walked in to the moment we were seated. The staff, both male and female were all very happy looking, be it laughing or smiling, which helped make the whole experience enjoyable. We looked over our menu briefly when our waitress Maya came over and asked if we wanted any appetizers or drinks, at which point we inquired into any specials they may be offering, which she quickly spewed out, barely peeking at her notes. After ordering drinks and appetizers, we looked over the menu and considered some appetizers. It took us awhile to figure out what we wanted but she didn't rush us to order she gave us just the right amount of time, so we were not sitting there staring at our menus. Water never stopped coming and the bread she brought out was oven fresh. After receiving our food she checked in on us twice more before leaving us to enjoy our meals, at which point she returned to take our plates and offer us any deserts we may be interested in; after declining from being stuffed. We received our bill paid and left after an excellent meal. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Hubby and I went out after shopping for a burger at the tapas bar and we were a little disappointed . There were several other people there and the Bar Maid (Mary) was great. Every person there ordered something to eat but the the manager seemed to want us all to leave so she could close up. It was 8:30 pm in New York...Really? A couple other people came in and she announced that they could have a drink but it would be last call. Everyone was having a great time talking to each other ( locals and traveling businessmen). If you used the restroom, the door was locked behind you and the manager had to let you back in with the explanation that it was time to close. Bear Mountain was closed for so many years and the renovations are so gorgeous that it will be hard to keep people coming with this kind of negative vibe.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your story, and please accept our most sincere of apologies. I've forwarded your comments directly to our management team, as this is absolutely never the impression we should give our guests, and certainly not the standard of hospitality we expect from our team members.

We hope you might stop by and try us again so that we have the opportunity to show you a true Restaurant 1915 experience.

All the Best.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Me and my fiancé went there New Years day on a whim and instantly fell in love
with the Inn. The place is very romantic and very friendly. The service was great. Sara the bartender was awesome and the rest of the staff took care of us. We loved how they treated us so much we booked our Wedding there!!! We can't wait to go back soon.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
We are more than delighted that you enjoyed your impromptu visit - and can't wait to start planning your wedding!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, and welcome to the Bear Mountain family.

All the Best

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!