“It's Ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 129 Restaurants in Bay Shore
Cuisines: Seafood
“It's Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Was here a very long time ago. Maybe 20 years. Don't remember how the food was then. Ok so was there September 2nd. The food I can say was just ok but reasonably priced I guess. Good portions but now a little heart burn. Everything had the taste of tyme baked clams to the New England clam chowder. Being in the food business for 15 years tells me there cook clam base is cooked for the baked clams New England clam chowder to the Manhattan clam chowder. Not a fan of tyme in all my food. Got the seafood combo basket it was good but have had better. Service was excellent. This is why I would say three stars. Food wasn't harrible but was priced ok. Would maybe go back and try something different.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York
“Eat where the locals do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This Chowder Bar has that old school shack feel that you find near a seaside touristy area. Looks like mostly locals frequent the place. Unfortunately they don’t have great views of the water or sand, but it is still a quaint little place. We had the clam chowder and that was just okay. It had an unusual spice that I could not figure out. The rest of the food was delicious. We had the crab cakes and the clam boat (whole clams). The service was outstanding and the prices are reasonable. Will be back real soon.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bay Shore, New York
“I'll Never Go Back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place used to be really a nice place to get seafood. We had not been there in over a year and I do not know if they changed owners or not, but after our last experience I would never go back. First off we all had the seafood bisque. It used to be the best anywhere. It came to the table lukewarm and did not have the same flavor that we remembered. All our main courses were poorly prepared and mostly overcooked. The wait staff was very slow as well as inattentive and even left the dirty dishes on the table when they served our dessert. Even the coffee was cold. One of the worst dining experiences I can ever remember. I would never go back again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dix Hills, New York
“This is not New England Clam Chowder”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I read over and over how wonderful the New England Clam Chowder was and that was the reason we drove far out of our way to go to this "restaurant". Anyone really wants real chowder, go to Legal Seafood. The atmosphere was what I expected and I like bar places, but the service was not great. It took awhile for anyone to give us menus and then we asked for water and only the one who asked got any. The soda was in a tiny glass and of course no bread.
I ordered fried clam sandwich which was tasty, but that is all you get. I think I was supposed to order french fries for about $3 more, but I didn't know. My friend ordered a bowl of this chowder stuff, crab cakes and was so hungry she ordered a salad.
Bottom line, the food, some it is ok-but very overpriced for what you get. Somewhere I read the staff was so friendly-barely spoke to us. We tried a new place, but will not return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great food and cool atmosphere! Chowders are the best on the south shore, and he chili is good too. Rob wrap is my personal favorite but I haven't found anything I didn't like yet.. Def try and enjoy