“Nice Room, but bypass the breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bath
Harpursville, New York
“Nice Room, but bypass the breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Booked this room on Hotels.com. the check in was easy, room was clean& nice ,but the breakfast was mediore had very limited variety consisted of,cereals, bagels,& muffins I suggest going to a restarant for a better breakfast, the staff was very freindly& helpful Stayed for the Family Life Spring Sharathon Very close to the Family Life Center, Iwould stay here again

Room Tip: Go out for Breakfast or bring one
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bradford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My wife and I attended a wine event on Keuka Lake. We decided to stay the night at the Microtel in Bath. The hotel is relatively new and modern. The breakfast offered in the morning is limited to cereal, bagels etc. The room had a small refrigerator and other basic items. There was a flat screen TV mounted to the wall, albeit a little small..... overal the experience was nice and we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
micro4503, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bath, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope you will stay with us again
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

This past holiday season, I visited the Bath region with my girlfriend to spend time with her family. As their house is pretty cramped with other people coming in town, I suggested we find a nearby hotel and spend our nights there. The Microtel was one of the newest, closest, and surprisingly, the cheapest hotel in the area. Other hotels in the area were not only more expensive, but also older and possibly in worse shape (based on other reviews I read on here).

Now, it certainly wasn't a Ritz-Carlton or Mandarin Oriental providing lavish services and plush amenities. But, that wasn't the reason we were there; we just needed a 'crash pad' - our own space to sleep, store our bags, and relax, while having good proximity to her family's house for holiday events and such. And it provided just that.

For the price, you can't complain really. I've been places in Europe and South America that have dicier rooms and for triple the price of this place. Of course, that's somewhat like comparing apples to oranges, but for less than $50 a night, I was able to get a fairly new room in a newer building. It had clean and modern design and decor, wall-mounted thermostat, dark-wood furniture, tile counters in the bathroom, soft pillows, and a fairly soft bed queen-size bed. It also had some nice stuff that aren't common at this price room - a wall-mounted LCD TV, in-room coffee maker, mini-fridge, and even an in-room iron that weren't chained to the wall. The front-desk staff was polite and very pleasant throughout the stay, and complimentary continental breakfasts help get the day started.

But, of course, a sub-$50 room can't have it all. Our biggest complaint was the NOISE. (Why are cheap hotels so bad at noise insulation!?!) We had a bottom-floor room next to the stairs, near the side entrance. Like other hotels in this price range, the sound of crying babies,kids stomping up the stairs, maids shouting "ROOM SERVICE" to other rooms, and people in hallways were to be expected. But the side entrance door kept SLAMMING and would jolt me out of bed. It looked like the door hinge wasn't dampening the door from slamming, something I left feedback for them to fix. Same for the doors into the stair well. I had to pick up ear plugs for the rest of the stay so I could get (somewhat uninterrupted) sleep.

In addition to the noise, some of the other downsides were somewhat dingy towels, bed linens were not fresh every day (the housekeeping would just make the bed), harsh lighting over the beds, and a less-than-stellar selection in the morning for breakfast.

Oh, and the harassing auto-emails you get from the corporate offices after your stay to complete a satisfaction survey. It's not this Bath locations fault, mind you... but it's highly unprofessional for Microtel corporate to spam you about a staisfaction survey. Within 2 weeks, I have gotten nasty reminders stating "We noticed that you did not have time to complete the survey. We are concerned that you may not have responded because we have somehow failed to live up to your expectations." Microtel - I have more important things to do than fill out surveys immediately after I visit someplace. Heck, it can take months for me to write something here on Trip Advisor. And FYI, usually bad experiences illicit more tactful and immediate reactions...not me forgetting to fill out a survey.

All in all - I can rate it as "... meh". Average. It's not bad, especially for the price, and the fact that everything is fairly new and clean is great compared to other locations in the area. But beware of noise! I wouldn't mind to stay there again when visiting Bath for the girlfriend-family holiday things, and recommended some of her family to do the same next year.

Just be sure to bring some earplugs!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
I am glad you liked our hotel. Sorry about the noise, but hope you will chose to stay with us again if you are in Bath.
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed here with 2 other couples after a wonderful day of touring the local wineries. We chose it because it was close to the highway and easy for all of us to meet, as well as had a great rate for a queen-bed suite. It also was newly renovated and it got some great reviews on this site. When we got there, they asked me if I was willing to change my room from a suite to a regular room with 2 beds because they had overbooked their suites. I said no because I had made my reservations over a month in advance and didn't think I should have to change for their mistakes. So -- then they said, well would I like an upgrade to their jacuzzi room for the same rate. I said ok to that. Well - what they neglected to tell me was that the "upgrade" put us in a room on the first floor, right down the hall from the front desk and next to the stairwell. This was the noisiest room I have EVER stayed in. The hotel was full because hunting season had opened that day, so our "neighbors" were hunters that not only stayed up till midnight talking (and I could hear every word), but were also up at 4 a.m. to leave for hunting the next morning. Between them getting up and making noise and the CONSTANT banging of doors and trampling down the stairs, my husband and I were up the entire time. I got maybe 3 hours of sleep....and it was not all at once. It was terrible! No one should ever stay in that room by all that activity -- and it should not be considered an UPGRADE! To top it all off, the next day when my husband went to the front desk after getting up at 6 a.m. - he asked for the manager and they said there wasn't one to talk to. He'd have to call on Monday. And apparently there was no one of authority to deal with our problem. And when he did finally reach the manager (after he left a message and she never got back to him) - all she did was give him 15% credit. That's like $12. My breakfast cost me more than that. Overall - the hotel itself was clean and new -- but the service as terrible and the noise was unbearable. I'd never stay there again - no matter how good a rate I was getting!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Shutesbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

This motel was much more than I expected. Clean. Quiet. Nice simple breakfast to go. Easy access to highway

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Boyertown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Microtel Inn & suites in Bath, NY during our wine tasting excursion. We have stayed here since it opened a few years ago & loved it. We picked it because of the easy access, location to the lakes & the price. All of which were & still are ideal. During the last 2 years however we have seen a slow slide in housekeeping & practices. We arrived on a early afternoon Friday. Granted we were 45min early for check-in, but the parking lot wasn't near full. We were told our room wasn't ready yet, but we could have a handicap room if we wanted. A handicap room! What would they do if someone really needed that room? We kindly declined, & returned later that night after wine tasting & dinner. At first the room it seemed fine. However upon entering the bathroom, my wife noticed that the wash rags seemed a little dirty. We also found hair in the tub & on the bathroom floor. Continental breakfast in the morning seemed a bit sparse, unorganized, & hard to move around. Cereals were not labeled & trash was over flowing from the containers. Maybe the staff was having a bad week? Who know? All in all, yes I might stay here again, but I would consider other options first.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Out In The Country
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed one night. Easy check-in and check-out. Rooms are small but clean, comfortable and have all the necessities. It's a place to sleep and go. Lobby is basic and breakfast too is basic but adequate.
Room cost is extremely reasonable and the fact you get a breakfast at all, is a bonus. if you want a gourmet breakfast, go spend $ 30-50 more down the street.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bath? Share your experiences!