“Good for a night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Batavia
Detroit, Michigan
“Good for a night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

The room was clean an the bed was very comfortable but the AC/heater and interstate noice was very loud. I would not stay here again if one of the newer hotels had availability.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Binghamton, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I usually stay at Hampton's where the rooms and general decor is modern and clean. The Holiday Inn in Batavia needs both. The room was average but the bathtub tile wall had mold growing on the grout. The television was an old style tube type and the picture was not clear. The bathroom off the lobby has empty soap dispensers and a couple of the sinks, no water. This Holiday Inn had a full restaurant that was full of tables but few customers and the dinner and the next morning's breakfast was just OK even though I felt it was overpriced for what you got. I would suggest closing the restaurant and using the saved dollars to fix up the rooms and lobby. There are several other places to stay in Batavia and if you want a mediocre atmosphere, you can probably find that at one of the other cheaper motels just down the street.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Batavia hotels

Mayville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We booked a block of 20 plus rooms and I heard complaints from almost everyone in our group that the staff was unaccommodating and outright rude to some. A few members of our group that were standing up in a wedding were actually late for the wedding because their rooms were not ready at check-in time. This was a major inconvenience and caused a lot of stress for many people. Several complaints to management have also gone unanswered. The hotel was dirty and furniture in the halls should have been replaced 10 years ago. At the rate that we paid, i don't expect to stay in a place that feels buggy. But this place did.

Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Reviews were mixed for all of the Batavia options so we paid more to stay at the so called "top rated" Holiday Inn. The property was a bit old and dingy but seemed clean. Much to our chagrin, this property hosts dog events and were having one the next day. Hence, we rode the elevator to the floor our room was on with a dog and things went downhill from there. We were awakened several times that night by a barking dog in the next room. It got to the point where other guests started pounding the wall and shouting for someone to "shut the dog up!". We tried (as I am sure others did) to get guest services to take action. Unforunately, the Dog Whisperer wasn't available and no one seemed capable of quieting said canine. Never again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I was also part of the group that stayed at the Holiday Inn Batavia because we were attending a 4pm wedding in town. I have traveled extensively and stayed at all levels of hotels. It is pretty standard at this level to use the pool etc if your rooms are not cleaned yet. Not at this Holiday Inn! I think it should be expected to make some kind of exceptions when you have a group of 50 people staying at your hotel attending a 4 pm wedding and need to shower, change their clothes and be ready to catch a bus to the wedding at 3:30! Not at this Holiday Inn! I understand that the block of rooms may not be ready for checkin early. This hotel has obviously never heard of a courtesy room! Now for the good, the bad and the ugly:
1. Good - they offer free coffee and tea in the lobby. Microwave in the room. The bartender Sunday night was great!
2. Bad - the furniture in the hallways is in rough shape. Cobwebs in the hallway leading to the parking lot. It looked like a typical Holiday Inn but not maintained very well!
3. Ugly - The front desk employee working on Sunday. I had called to reserve an extra room on Saturday night. The woman I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. I had concerns about being able to use the property before checkin and she assured me that we would be able to use the facilities. My husband attempted to checkin at 1pm and was told that the room was not available and he COULD NOT use the pool etc. He immediately called me and I called the front desk. The woman was so uncooperative and annoyed! She told me that the person I spoke with the day before was misinformed and there was absolutely no way for us to use the facilities as you have to have a key to access the pool etc. I arrived at the hotel about 45 minutes later and spoke with this woman directly and she was equally rigid. She informed me that our rooms were still not ready. She went off duty at 2pm and I went to the front desk and the afternoon employee checked us in. She said "I have two rooms available but they are not next to each other..would that be acceptable?" Of course it was. One room would have been acceptable (I am not unreasonable!) You know so often you are encouraged to contact the manager if you had a problem during your stay but I do not think it would have helped this time as so many of the people attending this wedding had the same complaints.

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels and never never NEVER have I been treated so poorly. We booked an entire block of rooms for my sisters wedding (at least 25 people booked) and the hotel was so horrible to work with. They had the rates posted wrong for the block on their website and were very unaccommodating and difficult. Every time there was an issue (and there were many, many issues), nobody that worked at the hotel would help you and when the manager finally called you back, he refused to help on most things.

I booked online for Saturday and Sunday nights at the block rate and have an email confirmation with that price on it. When I went back to check on the reservation a couple days before the wedding, my rate for Saturday had been raised by almost $30!! When I called to ask them about it, they gave me attitude, and when I finally reached the manager of the hotel, he argued with me for 30 minutes, was extremely rude despite my politeness, and refused to fix the rate stating it must have been an error that the gave me the block rate for Saturday and Sunday, that’s why they raised it, and there was nothing they could do for me even though I have confirmation of the block rate price in writing.

They refused to give us early check in (check in is at three) and when 2:30 rolled around, they wouldn’t even let the bride and groom check in because “the hotel was full”. They then “lost” my reservation for Sunday night when I went to check in for a second room after the wedding (even though, once again, I have it in writing), but then turned around and said “oh, it’s no big deal, we have a ton of empty rooms so you can just make a new one right now”. It didn’t make any sense, since earlier that morning, we couldn’t check into our rooms because the hotel was so full (which it wasn’t…there were about four cars in the parking lot).

They wouldn’t upgrade the bride and groom to a suite even though we would pay the difference. I found crackers on the floor. The furniture in the hallways looks like it’s been there for 100 years. The workers were rude and nasty. They overcharged me for the room and then lost my reservation for the second night and refused to let the bride and groom check in before their wedding. I know every other person booking here for the wedding was almost as appalled as I was. The sad thing was that this hotel wasn’t even that inexpensive. For $111 dollars a night in Batavia, NY, I expect at least a hotel that I don’t feel like bugs are crawling on me with a manger that isn’t rude and sneaky.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

The facilities are somewhat dated, but the room was clean, roomy and comfortable. It's what you would expect a Holiday Inn to be.

I heard some complaints from other guests about front desk service, but my experience was good. They would seem to place a premium on service, so I'm non sure what their issue was.

We didn't use the restaurant, but on check-in we were provided coupons for the restaurant and bar.

It's convenient for the Darien Lake amusement park/concent venue as well as local restaurants and shopping.

Having stayed at some of the other 'value' brand hotels in town, this one would be my choice again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel Palm Island Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!