“A Night in Hell!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barryville
Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds
You added Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds to your Saves list
3854 Route 97, Barryville, NY 12719   |
“A Night in Hell!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This place is a disgrace. The grounds have old trash, the bathrooms are in disrepair, and absolutely no effort is made to quiet rowdy drunken campers after hours. All they have is location. They should be ashamed.

• Stayed June 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Holbrook, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family went to this campsite last weekend. The campground site itself was very nice. BUT the bathroom was the worst I have ever seen. It looks like they only clean once a day. I am sorry for all the campers that are there, once a day is not enough. by the morning only two of the ladies room stalls were working. The toilets were all stuff up and did not flush. The bathroom was flooded and you had to wade through water. The mens room was also disguisting. No soap in the bathroom. My son did not even want to go in there. Now I know this is not a hotel, but you do expect some cleanliness. After complaining to management they basically yes us to death. Alos there is no sense of security. Some of the campers played music very loudly until 3:00 in the morning. Now I get it, you are there to have fun. But I can see 12:00 - there is some respect to others that was missing. I have vented enough. I hope you consider all the above and every elses reviews before you decide to stay at this campsite. I will NEVER stay here agin.

Room Tip: Pick another place to stay
Frenchtown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Having camped all over the country, I found the Kittatinny Campgrounds to be the most culturally diverse and the most party-friendly campground that I have ever encountered. I'm sure for those people who want to party (loudly) with friends and family while camping, this place might be great. The majority of sites had at least 5-9 tents on them, and groups of people throughout the campground booked several sites together and created "tent cities", with many more tents on them than that. I have to admit I've never seen anything like it in all of my years of camping. At 10 pm last night, we had Latino music blasting on two sides of us, and some weird electronic music blaring from somewhere behind us. The campers across the way from us played drinking games all day and most of the night, and didn't settle down until around 3 am. Walking around the campground, I could smell marijuana drifting from many campsites. Curse-words ran rampant. While people seemed overall friendly, it was definitely a party atmosphere; not one that I recommend for people who want to enjoy nature. It was simply the city moved to the woods.

While I didn't personally use the bathrooms, the friends that I was with did, and found them disgusting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thomaston, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The bathrooms are disgusting and old. The pool is dark and cloudy and falling apart. The website is nice and misleading. I wouldn't go here again. I paid $50/night for my family and expected to have the quality of a KOA. This was like staying at a roach motel with less amenities. Stay far away. There must be better places out there.

Yonkers, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Where to begin..... I went this past weekend (July 6, 7 & 8, 2012) with my girlfriend, my daughter and my son-in-law. We were appalled at the conditions under which people "camp". The place resembled what the Super Dome must have looked like after Katrina. Yes, a refugee camp is an accurate description. The sites are right on top of one another and even the "wooded" sites had zero privacy. The entire place had all of the comforts one would associate with a refugee camp as well: music blasting all night, enforcement of the quiet time rules non-existent, people walking arbitrarily through your site BETWEEN your tents for no apparant reason. And the bathrooms? I thought that if I left behind my waste products it would only serve to class up the place. It was thoroughly disgusting. On Friday night, we drove to the "security" booth to ask that they do something to stop the blaring music in the site about 1/2 a football field away from us. This was about 12:30am on Friday night. We were assured that something would be done. Of course, nothing was. I agree with BillSong: if you want peace & quiet, stay far away. I know that I will and I would advise anyone to camp almost anywhere else but Kittatinny.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

If your idea of camping is partying all night and blasting music through a PA system until 3 in the morning, this is the place for you. If you want peace and quit, stay far far away. The music can be heard before you even get to the campground. I guess that is why they make you pay in full and have a no refund policy. When I got to the camp ground with my family, we were concerned about the loud music that seem to be coming from everywhere. The staff assured me that quiet time was at 11pm and that security will be coming by to enforce it. Not a chance! at 1 AM my tent was shaking from the loud music blasting from all directions. I'm not talking about someone with a boom box, I'm talking about PA systems with amplifiers and disco lights. Not just at one camp site, but from all over the campgrounds. The kids who ran the place were all very nice, but I don't see how these teenagers could possibly control the wild crowds that apparently came to the campground to party all night. I specifically asked about quiet time when I made the reservation. I wish they would have told me that noise might be a problem, instead they promised me over the phone that they strictly enforce quiet time. The activities are way overpriced. If you rent a canoe, they charge $49 per person not per boat. Even children have to pay and there is no discount for booking multiple activities. Next time I want an experience like this, I will pitch a tent at Times Square.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
North East, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed over Memorial Day weekend. Have been campers for years (not here though.) The positives: the staff, although teenagers were always helpful and corrected everything they were able to do. Gary the manager, absolutely the best!!!! He needs to have his own campground--it would be run much better!!! The Delaware river---Great!!!The negatives: no rules are enforced. Crowds are a given- no problem. However: there are season sites here. The major problem we experienced is that 2 people would check in and pay for a site and invite 40 of their closest friends, and (borrow) whatever they felt necessary from the seasonal sites!! What happened to respect for others property? Noise--Oh yea til the early morning hours!! Underage drinking-yes! Drugs--yes! While children are present!!! Now about the bathrooms...you have 400-500 sites and bathrooms are only cleaned once a day!! Camping I know, but a little bit more attention to sanitary needs would be great!! I'm not talking about spiders either--just sanitary conditions with no standing water in the toilets!!! While there in 2012, some one decided it would be fun to have a bowel movement in the sink and tip one of the toilets over!! The restrooms need to be cleaned more often with the type of crowds this place attracts!! Also, as if your not paying enough money for the site you are required on a Holiday weekend to book an event which for my husband and I was 90.00. This is REQUIRED!!! So, if you have a family of 4 or 5 there goes an additional 200.00. So if your rich, and like a filthy restroom/shower area with no hot water, no morals about taking from other sites to fulfill your needs, and no regard for children or morales and like drugs, then this is the place fo you my friend!!! Our site was great, on the the creek, however everyone else who didn't have a site on the creek thought so too and had no problem wondering over to check it out and take a dip in the water, regardless of whethere we were there or not!!! We've never had a camping experience like this, and hopefully will never have again. I know this was our first and last trip there!! A Lot of money to put up with a lot of othere people's crap!! We won't be coming back to this place, and that's sad to say due to all the places we have been we would be willing to go back to and had such a great experience, except here!! The last item : the swimming pool---wasn't filled--so had the garden hose in it, wasn't even half filled over 5 days---SAD!!!
T

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds? Share your experiences!