“I <3 Kittatinny Campgrounds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barryville
Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds
3854 Route 97, Barryville, NY 12719   |
Staten Island, New York
“I <3 Kittatinny Campgrounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I've been going to Kittatinny Campgrounds every year for the last 5 years. I always have a great time and I always look forward to going on this trip. There are 500-600 camp sites on this property and if you go on a busy weekend, expect to hear your neighbors. You should also expect spiders and other bugs in the bathroom - IT'S CAMPING NOT THE RITZ CARLTON.

I agree with many of these "bad" reviews (and also think they're HILARIOUS). So, if you're going to Kittatinny with your 85 year old Grandma who goes to bed at 7pm or your kids who won't sleep through "nocturnal frat parties" - go somewhere else or ask to be put in a spot where you have no close neighbors.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011 via mobile

I went with 15 friends and we had a blast. Had our tents overlooking the river and plenty of space to set up extra tables. It was basically a big party, which is what we were looking for. Yes, we played music late and brought various noise making devices.

Not sure why people are complaining about the accomodations -- it's a frickin campsite.

• Stayed August 2011
East Windsor, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I love how some of those reviews were from people complaining about spiders in the bathrooms. Really?? YOU ARE CAMPING IN THE WOODS people! .... I have been to Kittatinny at least 10 times in the last 15 years. Some things have changed.. some for the better, some for the worse. But it's a nice large campground with TONS of activities to keep everyone happy. Do people party there as well? Of course they do. But it's not like it's a Fraternity party. However, if you are someone who wants to go commune with nature in total peace and quiet, well then you may want to pick a different campground. Everyone needs to chill out...bring their camp chairs... cozy up to the camp fire with a beverage... and enjoy the company of good people.
The End.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bronx, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed there August 12th and 13th with my husband and two small children along with family friends and there kids and parents. Was supposed to stay until the 14th but left on the 13th which was Saturday night. The area we had was nice, we had fun being with each other but at night when everyone should be sleeping it sounded like Frat Parties all around us. Guys yelling and it just wouldn't die down. But to be honest, what really bothered me was the bathrooms. They were dirty and the shower didn't work. They were broken and only two worked and only one had hot water. Long lines just to use the showers!!! Spiders were dangling into the showers and the bathroom stalls and when I was combing my hair in front of the mirror a spider literally dangled above my head!!! Thank God I don't suffer from Arachnophobia! The place isn't kid friendly either. The pools were closed so we took them to the edge of the river where my friends Dad was fishing and they played at the edge of the river with us. It's an ok camp if you want to rough it, how camping should be but if you are going to advertise showers, pools and stuff like that then make good on the deal! Make sure they are working, it's not like we didn't pay for it!!!

Room Tip: If you want a camp where you can rough it bathroom wise then this is the place...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Stay here if:
~you don't want to use a bathroom, pool or playground
~your like half-empty beer bottles left at your site that aren't yours
~you like loud obnoxious music blasted until after 1 a.m.
~you like the loud music exchanged for screaming drunk parties.
~you don't think cleanliness is a good thing.

We had concert tickets for Bethel Woods and my husband didn't want my daughters and I to drive home that late. Kittatinny was mentioned on their facebook page and after we looked at Kittatinny's website we decided to stay there. It is the last time we stay somewhere without first reading reviews.

We stayed here for a night. We were scheduled for two , but thankfully we changed it when we heard the weather. We would NOT have stayed another night! The view of the river is pretty. The creek is nice and peaceful, but as other other reviews have stated this place is NOT maintained!!! The bathrooms should be knocked down. They are filthy and disgusting. I would not shower in any of them. It was iffy on if it if was safe to use toilets. One bathroom says it is isn't safe to use the water for any domestic purposes like cooking or drinking. The pool looks like it needs replacing and had an unusual water color. The store staff was nice and they had the basics needed.

The worst part was that this place seems to cater to people who only think of themselves and drinking. The music blasted until well past midnight and that is when the drinking, shouting and extreme rudeness started. It then became a contest of people shouting and partying vs the people shouting to "shut the "F" up!" My husband finally complained to the "security booth" and they went down to speak to them. It did get slightly quieter. We think they finally passed out at about 3 a.m.

It is a shame. This place has great location. It is hard to tell if they keep their campground this way because of the type of people who stayed there of if the type of people who stay there did this to the place.

Room Tip: If you must stay here. Pick a place without water or electicity. They are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

I was camping at kittatinny with friends and was completely disgusted with what I encountered. We checked inand went directly to our site when we arrived at our site we discovered our neighbors had parked two of their cars and sent up a tent on the majority of our site. Trying to avoid conflict I went to the office in attempt to speak to a manager. A normal thing to do right? Not at kittatinny. When I asked the girls for the manager they had left for about 15 minutes and could not locate him but assured me he was in the campground. One girl explained to me that he was short chubby and bald incase I saw him in my travels. Eventually everything was settled with no help or even existence of the manager. The girls were extremely helpful but clearly overwhelmed. After we were settled
My group and I walked to Cedars Rapids (a bar nearby). While there I encountered 3 ppl in Kittatinny staff shirts. One of them fitting the description of the manager - all clearly drinking. On Saturday I went to the office the girls said he still could not be found. I was hoping to receive a discount for my trouble. Later that I asked some boys in blue shirts they told me the manager drove a dark jeep. I watched that jeep drive by me in it was the same man drinking at the bar the night before! How could the owners of this establishment be so oblivious leaving teenage girls in charge while there manager is at the bar?!? I am disgusted, how nice would it be if all of us had a job where we could leave and get trashed with our buddies?!? And not even notify his fellow staff leaving them dumfounded and frazzled! It is ridiculous, friday appears to be the busiest day and this manager appears to be an achoholic joke!! Do not camp here clearly incompetent and unprofessional!!!

• Stayed July 2011
Stormville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My family and friends have camped at this campsite two other summers before this one, and we never really leave satisfied. The campsite is overpriced. They charge PER PERSON, as well as per site, which totalled over one hundred dollars a night if you had a family of five. Why not get a hotel for that price? The rafting fee - which is why most people camp here - to raft the Delaware River - was $50 per person! So it ended up costing about $350 for a family of five to camp and raft for one night! HOWEVER - the other campers must have had a bad experience the week before us, because the bathrooms were not as bad as they say.......I was lucky enough to catch it in the morning after it had just been cleaned. There are bugs EVERYWHERE in the bathrooms - stuck in the spider webs, crawling on the floors.....but there was no "human waste" on the walls or floors. Also note there is absolutely NO cell phone service on the campground, and the showers are ice cold - there is no hot water for the showers. The place is run by teenagers - you cannot find an adult anywhere if there are any issues. Lucky for them, they are the only campground that will take pop-ups (that I know of) so they get us every year.....and get over $1000 from us because we camp with about 5-9 other families. Be prepared to pay out your nose for nothing but electrical hookups and water.......I wish we knew of somewhere else more deserving of our money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Barryville Base and Kittatinny Campgrounds? Share your experiences!