“Pleasant surroundings.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Buckinghamshire
“Pleasant surroundings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My friends and i ate at the 'The Three Crowns' for the first time the other evening.
Firstly as one other reviewer mentioned parking is a problem!
We were warmly met at the door and our coats taken, we were seated at our table straight away. I had thought that this was a gastro pub, however they are marketing themselves as a resturant so no real bar so to speak in which to have a drink.
The waiter was as someone else mentions quite flamboyant, with his use of french accent!
To me the whole experience seemed a touch pretentious.
The menu is quite extensive,with extra specials which are verbally offered. However nothing out of the ordinary.
We only ordered main courses so my review is somewhat limited. The food presentation of our meals was good, until the 'side-dish' of vegetables turned up - standard few potaotes, brocilli,soggy mangetout, dried out carrot slices! I was not planning on eating them so made no comment to the staff.
My food was unfortunatly for me average (I had the duck 'special') Duck breast in a lime and ginger sauce, mmm zingy i thought, oriental flavours!! - Actually it totally lacked those described flavours!
My friends stated they enjoyed theirs - one had the best end of lamb and the other dish was pork with mushrooms.
I gave the review a 'Very Good' as there is not a 'GOOD' and taking my friends views into consideration i decided against an 'AVERAGE' The question is - would i go back? No not really

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Marlow, United Kingdom
“Au Revoir”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A group of friends came here to say au revoir to one of the couples who
are moving out of the area. We wanted to give them a special send off &
The Three Crowns helped us do just that. There was a warm welcome at
the door and there was a lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. The
service throughout the meal was extremely attentive but not pushy. The
head waiter spoke with authority and knowledge when asked about the
'specials'. The quality of the food is par excellence and the portions
were generous. We have eaten at this restaurant twice before and I hope
it wont be long before we return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Three, well deserved, Crowns!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Second visit, be-latex Valentine meal. First visit (Nov 12) just as fantastic; had to go back for a second visit, and will go again without doubt.
The staff - immense! A well delivered service with courtesy and a smile. The head waiter knows the 'extras' inside out and without fail.
The food - immense! Can't fault the menu for variety and provenance! Cooked to perfection, generous and packed with flavour.
If you're looking for a special venue for a special occasion, look no further.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Jury's Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Having read the many glowing reviews of the restaurant and also the damning ones
I thought that I should do a review of our experiences.
This restaurant has been much praised by others we have visited three times over the past year and am still waiting to feel the same way about it.
As a couple; visited once good starter poor main meal dessert too rich
As guests of another couple good starter average roast beef meal suitable for a cheap pub dessert too rich
With a friend who requested going there so three of us good starters main meals; my chicken a la king terrible friend got the wrong lunch the waitor was rude to her although he admitted it was his fault to bring the wrong meal to the table only one of three meals considered good. Didn't bother with dessert.

appreciate that dessert is a personal choice and if you like rich desserts then fine but the owner needs to up the game of the food to match the cost.
The waiter has an arrogance about him and the manager should keep a watch on this. Will we go back? Don't know I'll keep an ear to the ground for comments by those we know like to eat out.

I've put average as a score for the food as one of the meals was considered good. And average for the rest because of the waitor's pretension.

The food was from the specials menu price was dearer than advertised on the web.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thame, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent dining in a warm, friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We came for an evening meal and despite it being busy, were attentively looked after and made to feel very welcome. The menu is varied and expansive and with the enticing daily specials to add in the mix, makes choosing a demanding activity!
Having declared before walking in the intention to 'go easy' and not indulge in a sweet, it only took a matter of seconds to deny ever mentioning it...
The food certainly lived up to its promise and there wasn't a single dish that we wouldn't order again. This is a very polished establishment and if you are looking for a great dining experience in attractive surroundings The Three Crowns is a must. Make a reservation first, it's deservedly popular.

• Visited December 2012