“Disappointing lunch” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
princes risborough, uk
“Disappointing lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I took my elderly mother to this restaurant for lunch today at 1pm. Although some aspects of the experience were good, there were a number of things we were not at all happy about. We had a long wait for both the main course and the dessert. For the main course, my mother had duck breast and I had the pork fillet. My mother's duck was extremely tough. I mentioned this to a waiter and asked for a steak knife, which he brought. This enabled my mother to cut it but she could not chew it. I tried it and found it extremely tough and almost unchewable. When a different waiter collected our plates, I again commented that my mother's duck was extremely tough and she could not eat it. He said he would say something to the chef. I don't know whether or not he did but he did not come back to us about it and no compensation or alternative was offered.

My pork was satisfactory but I was very surprised that both main courses were served with the vegetables and mine was smothered in sauce/gravy. I would expect a good restaurant to serve the vegetables separately so that one can help oneself.

We each had a small glass of Pinot Grigio, which was good but overpriced.

On the plus side, the puddings were good. I had cheese and biscuits and my mother had the sticky toffee pudding.

However, all in all, our lunch experience was not a good one and was certainly not good value for £57.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

we arrived and chose a table, after ten minutes i decided to go to the bar to order drinks and collect a menu. the one waitress was obviously struggling to serve the several tables in the restaurant.
she did come to take our order. i asked if they could remove the bones from the fish and was told yes. ordered baked plaice and pasta. the fish was bland and still full of bones and the pasta dish was ok, but certainly nothing special for the £14 it cost.
i don't mind paying for good food but only when its worth the price charged. can't understand how it was so busy. ill stick to the bugle horn, woolpack or make the drive to the cook and fillet in future as so worth it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
UK
“A very pleasant evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have read some poor reviews of this restaurant, I am so glad we chose to ignore them and make a return visit
We booked for a Friday evening, for 7.30 and were surprised to find the place very busy so early.
The menu is a huge problem, with so many interesting meals, it is difficult to chose and then there is the specials board on top.
Four of us ate, I must say all of our meals were excellent, my meat (veal T bone) wast delicate and cooked to perfection (just pink) and the veg all very fresh.
The staff are all very pleasant and most efficient, the restaurant was a bit warm and noisy (thanks to a group of lads on a stag do) so we took our coffee in the garden, a lovely way to end a lovely meal.
I presume from the odd poor review that they must have their 'off' days but we will be returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Summer Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Although we live fairly locally, we hadn't been here for ages. On previous occasions it had always been really good, so we hadn't looked at recent reviews. So glad we hadn't, as it might have put us off going last night & we actually had a really nice evening. As we wanted to make the most of the good weather, we phoned a couple of hours beforehand & asked if we could book a table on the patio. Unfortunately they said they didn't book the outside tables, but we decided to risk it anyway. When we arrived there were several tables free, & although it's quite close to a fairly busy road we weren't troubled by traffic noise. As it was hot & we weren't starving we decided to order a starter each (garlic king prawns & thai fishcakes) plus the whole baked Camembert to share. Turned out to be a really good idea - sort of "do it yourself" tapas! All the food was yummy, the service excellent, & the bottle of Chenin Blanc very nice. . Our only complaint was that at over £40 we felt it was a bit pricey.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch not dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I called to book a table before we called by for dinner and was told they don't reserve tables which put me off slightly as if people can be bothered to ring you you should at least allow them to book a table even if you aren't expecting to be busy
Anyway we ordered the whitebait and pâté which were both very generous portions, we followed with a steak and a veg pie, we had asked for peppercorn sauce with the steak which was a bit bland and we found out we had been charged £1.50 for it which was a bit of a check. The veg pie was ok but it could have done with a bit more seasoning.

It was a slight let down as I wanted to go there as a group of us had got lunch there a few days before and that was all spot on so I would recommend lunch.

Nice pub but could do better with the food

Visited July 2013