“Another good Sunday lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hartwell
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Bugle Horn offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Hemel Hempstead
“Another good Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Three of us had Sunday lunch in November. It was busy so we were glad that we made a telephone booking the day before. Some people arriving without a booking had to be turned away. Two of us had chicken and I had turkey. We had a bowl of red cabbage and a bowl of cauliflower cheese to share. The quality and quantity were first class and there was no room for afters. This was our second visit and I am making this report to confirm just how good it is.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

England
“Fair to middling ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

When we arrived, I got the feeling that they hadn't got our booking, but the waitress quickly found us a table. The service throughout was good, although it perhaps slowed down a little towards the end, and the staff were friendly.

My meal of sea bream with potatoes was ok, but the fish was a little overcooked, and the meal was greasy. My husband's meatballs were good and the portion size was huge so he couldn't manage a pudding. It was all ok, but we wouldn't rush back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Very good Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We called in for Sunday lunch and quickly found a table. Three of us had the Sunday roast and the other had fish and chips. All of the meals were substantial portions and well-cooked. For dessert we opted for the small dessert with coffee which was very good. Service was good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Good food lousy service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

BE PREPARED TO WAIT!
We went here and found a table and were given menus - we ordered drinks and food and waited - after half an hour the food arrived and we still had no drinks - we chased them up and were told "we could go to the bar" so I did and it took 15 mins to get our drinks so by the time I got back my food was cold - I asked for it to be re heated and was given a look that meant it was inconvenient for them!
We finished up and then had to wait 20 mins at the bar to pay the bill - an hour and 40 mins in total with only 10 mins of that with food and drink in front of us!
This was the second time here and last time the service was slow but this time they surpassed themselves
When I asked last time why there was only one person on the bar with people waiting 2 deep I was told it was because someone had phoned in sick! Well I must be the unluckiest diner in the world because it was the same this time only they had a rookie on who when asked for a spritzer disappeared to ask one of the waiting staff what it was! Not her fault - I think they simply do not employ enough staff!
I won't be back I've got better things to do with my life!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
“Great food, awful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to this restaurant recently for lunch and the service is probably the worst I have ever had. When we arrived no one came over to seat us, we had to ask, then a table was just pointed out to us, no menus were given so after no one came to us I had to ask for one, only to then be pointed in the direction of them to get it myself. This pattern continued for ordering our food and then trying to get the bill. Even when paying we had to go and find someone and there was no thank you when we did pay. We visited on a Wednesday afternoon so it wasn't even busy!

The food was really great though, if it wasn't for the awful service then I would regularly visit!!

• Visited August 2013