“A REAL REVIEW!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballston Spa
Roscoe, New York
“A REAL REVIEW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Hello all. I think it's time for a REAL review. Not one made up by the empoyees of a competitor.

Kate and I just got married on Sept. 1st. of this year. We wanted a nice place to go away and relax after all the excitement of our wedding. We checked out the Medberry online after a few reccomendations. Let me tell you, I am SO happy that we decided to go here. We checked in on Monday Sept. 3rd. It was great for us because not caring at all about the horse races the towns were emptying out. Dolores, who is one of the owners could not have been sweeter. Anything at all that we wanted we got. Directions, towels, late nite dinner, reviews of the area, champagne and chocolates in our suite, anything. Dolores and her son Jared were so acomodating and kind.

The room was very nicely appointed with the items you hope to find in a true Inn. Toiletries in the powder room, extral towels, beautifully laid out suite decorated in the old country style. The walls were painted a soft plum color. The California Queen bed was so soft. There was also bath robes, slippers, a tv, alarm clock, iron and board, small fridge, electric fireplace, and a very large air powered jacuzzi certainly big enough for two. Kate and I took advantage of the Couples Retreat package. This included a mineral bath as well as a one hour couples massage. The two sweet massage therapists were amazing. Rubbing away every ache and worry. That one hour does go by way too quick though.

Dolores had suggested for us to go to the Iron Roost for breakfast. Which is just a few doors up from the Inn. The main concept of the Iron Roost is waffles. Sweet thick delicious waffles for breakfast as well as delicious savory waffles for lunch. Kate and I had breakfast there all 4 days. If you go, YOU MUST have the Banans Foster waffle. I could have eaten 5 of these. It was truly a phenominal breakfast. We got to speak with Linnaea, the owner. What another kind and warm person. From the moment you walk in the door you get that warm friendly community feeling. And the food is spectacular too!

That same warm feeling is also certainly found at The Medberry Inn. Greeted with a smile by everyone we saw. Free off street parking, wonderful accomodations, superb massage, a great price. All around Kate and I highly reccomend the Medberry Inn. You can go into Saratoga Springs for the day which has farmers markets, tons of shops, restaurants, ice creams shops, everything you could want. Lake George is nice but after Labor Day is only really open on the weekends until October. Then it pretty much shuts down for the off season.

Sorry if I rambled a bit but you get my point. The Medberry Inn and Spa is fantastic. Kate and I are planning on returning at least once every 3 months for a getaway. You will not be dissapointed!

Room Tip: All rooms are appointed basically the same. But make sure you sip your champagne on the porch at nig...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
NEW ROCHELLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a very good experience at the Medbery. The owners and (it seemed there was only one hotel staff, who could also have been family, I suppose) were very nice, if a little on the awkward side. Dolores, one of the owners, always seemed busy, but was so happy to stop and chat or ask if we needed anything. The spa services were nice and the massage therapists were extremely professional. The mineral bath was nice, but the plate of fruit they left in there to make it seem more luxurious consisted of 2 sick looking strawberries and 2 cubes of cantaloupe lol. We didn't eat it.

We were the only guests in the hotel, which allowed us to have the 2nd floor balcony to ourselves any time we wanted (this was REALLY nice). Now, for the but... I just looked on their website to see whether the error was on the part of my boyfriend for booking an insufficient room, or the hotel, and the information I got on the website led me to believe that EVERY room has at least a California queen sized bed. This is not the case. The bed in our room was no bigger than a full. To me, that is a very serious problem

The Medbery is certainly worth checking out for both hotel and spa services, but keep in mind that it IS very quaint, the rooms are kind of dark, and you may want to be VERY specific about the size of the bed that you want to have. Also, expect to do some minor plumbing work (the flushing handle for our toilet fell off almost immediately) or to be calling for help. I'm sure it will be offered with a smile, however.

Room Tip: no pool or restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chaplin, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Went for a spa day for my daughter's birthday, and had the best massage ever! The ambiance was lovely; the owners and staff were friendly and helpful; the mineral bath was very relaxing; had my first mani/pedi ever and it was wonderful. I highly recommend the Medbery.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

First of all, notice that every negative review of this property was left by reviewers whose only review was of the Medbery. Secondly, notice that virtually all of them were more than a year old. The negative comments are so absurd they're almost certainly fake.

I have used the day spa at the Medbery twice before, and am just enjoying the last night of a Girlfriends' Getaway. The room is beautiful, the breakfast was delicious and a wonderful lunch from the Whistling Kettle was included. The jacuzzi was clean and the bathroom was lovely. In addition, they use high quality towels - not the pumice-scrubbers that most hotels use.

Even the little pullout bed in the deluxe room was very comfortable.

The Girlfriends' Getaway is a little expensive, and if you break down what you get for what you pay, it may not seem like a "bargain" (actually, I'm pretty sure there's no actual savings off the regular separate prices). But we had a wonderful time and the spa services were very professional.

This place would not be in business for as long as it has been if those negative reviews were even remotely true. Read them with caution, then make an appointment and see for yourself. It wouldn't surprise me if they were written by ringers being paid by business rivals. Ridiculous.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Clifton Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I went to the Medberry Inn and Spa two days before my wedding for spa treatments to relax. I was a little concerned after reading some reviews, but we decided to still go anyways. We started with tea at the Whistling Tea Kettle up the street and then worked our way to the Medberry. I don't know why people are complaining, but the staff was very accomodating and very nice. I felt so relaxed and will return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Had planned a celebration at the spa for my daughter's 21st birthday.
I became ill that morning and had to cancel.
I was told beforehand there was a 72 hour cancellation policy and I would be billed for all procedures if I cancelled.
I called my daughter and sister in law and they decided they would still go to the Spa since I had to pay anyway.
An hour later I called the spa to say my group would still be there. My daughter was looking for a 3rd person to go and I let them know that.
When they checked in at 1pm, they were very rude at the desk . An older gentleman at the desk snidely said ,"Oh,it's the on again off again group ".
My sister in law is a doctor in the area and was so upset with this treatment, especially considering the money we were spending .
I called the spa to let them know this, I think it was the owner who made the rude comment.
There are other spas in the area and I will try them in the future. It is a wonder this place stays open !

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ballston Spa hotels

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The Medbery Inn is located in the charming small town of Ballston Spa, conveniently located just 10 minute s from Saratoga. The Inn is very clean, well appointed and updated. Delores and Jim, the owners, are very welcoming and accommodating. We stayed in one of the mini-suite rooms which featured a private bath with a shower. Even though it was in the front of the building it was very quiet as the town is very quiet at night.

The most charming feature of this Inn is the front porch that runs along the front of the building offering visitors an interesting vantage point to look at one of the main streets in Ballston.

The breakfasts were very nice as well. Guests are seated in the parlor of this 100+ year old building and served a variety of breakfast foods both home cooked and from the delicious bakery down the street.

The spa is also located in the inn which is extremely convenient for treatments – you can walk from your room to the spa in your robe if you choose.

Overall, this inn might cost a few dollars more than a hotel but you get a lot for your money – a great room, an adorable town and charming hosts.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Medbery Inn and Day Spa? Share your experiences!