“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Upstate New York
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were going out just for pizza on a Friday night but that restaurant was beyond full so decided to try Three Olives. Great decision as the meals we had were excellent - and the quantity was that lunch the next day was a treat as well. I had the evening special which was sausage and peppers, my wife, lasagna. Both of our meals were perfectly done with even the salad being good. The only 'downer' was mentioned by another and that the rolls were cold - but then, who cares with everything else being so good (would have preferred bread anyhow). The dessert cart was brought around, but being full, passed on it - but the folks at the table next to ours were all saying how good the canolis were as well as a piece of cake

New York
“Italian without olive oil?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Nice entry and decor, lovely service, very tasty house salad.
Cold bread. Scampi, and beans and greens made with garlic salt and margarine. Not a hint of fresh garlic or olive oil in any of four dishes. Red sauce tasted canned. Shellfish was cooked perfectly, but less than fresh.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nick R, Owner at Three Olives, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Lindal51,

I want to start off by saying I am sorry that your visit was less than what you had hoped. We strive to make every visit for every customer the best it can be. With that being said, I would like to add that every meal is made with fresh garlic, from when it is first being put together, to adding more during the final stages of preparation. Also, we are an Italian restaurant and do not even have margarine in the building. My Italian mom makes the greens and beans, and doesn't even believe in using margarine, only olive oil. As well as all chefs in the building, we only use olive oil. As for the sauce, that is homemade, in which all fresh ingredients are mixed together and put on the stove to cook for hours before it is added to any meal, and this is made frequently through the week.
Again, I do apologize that your visit was less then expected, but do hope that you give us another try.
Nick R., Owner
Charleston, SC
“Why Trip Advisor Works.....Three Olives Suggestion Hits Bullseye!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had the opportunity last week to play travel agent for the night with my Mother-in-law and Father-in-law. Meandering through New York in a rental car they decided to stop in a town called Balston Spa. Not knowing anything about it , they called me and asked. No problem.....a few clicks later I'm on trip advisor....boom badda bing....few more clicks and I tell them the top rated hotel and where to get the best Italian dinner. It worked.. Her review...." The Best Italian meal of my entire life(73)" Other notes, don't be misled by outside of restaurant...it's in a strip mall type situation but service was AAA++++ nice clean decor, portions are HUGE........salads were cold and crisp.....the home made marinara sauce is a must. AND it didn't break the bank.
A Trip Advisor Win!!

“It was nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This restaurant is average. The food was good, the service was very good the price was alright. We went on wine Wednesday and that meant that each glass was half price. Good for us so we had two a piece. My friend ordered eggplant parm which came with zita on the side. She said it was really good. I ordered Chicken Francais which came with zita with marinara. When I ordered I asked if my pasta could be placed on my plate instead of putting marinara on it. The waitress said sure but there is a charge. Really..... I don't know about anyone else but I don't like mixing sauces. I asked her if they could not put the marinara on the zita and take some of the other sauce on it and she said sure but that is a higher charge. I put the plain zita on my dish when I got my dinner and there was plenty of sauce for it. My dinner was good. Oh by the way they only have one salad dressing an italian vinegarette. It was pretty good. For dessert we had a cannoli which were really wonderful. They were fresh and plenty for after dinner.
We might go back again and try some of the other dishes. While we were waiting we saw some very appetizing food pass by.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Meal and GREAT Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were coming from Philadelphia for few days to this area. We have friends in this area that we hadn't seen in a long, long time. Our friends made reservations - although they had never been to this restaurant, they were told by friends that this was a great place so decided to make reservations. We weren't disappointed. I think that our waiter's name was Robert and he was outstanding...attentive and accommodating. We started out with the mozzarella and tomatoes as well as some calamari as appetizers....delicious and generous portions. We had the veal parmesean - the portion was HUGE and some of the best that I have ever tasted. We also had the eggplant rottini...a good choice... We also had the shrimp scampi - plentiful and delicious and lastly, clams and shrimp over linguine. The only disappointment was the salad - too much dressing over limp greens... We would have preferred the dressing on the side. All of the entrees which came past our table had more than ample portions and prices were reasonable. Our reservations were at 7 and the restaurant was full on this Saturday evening, so it would seem that it would be wise to plan ahead. Since we hadn't seen our friends in a long, time, we sat and talked until closing and we never felt any pressure to leave (even when we were the only patrons left in the restaurant) . We were even offered more water. The atmosphere is casual so you could either dress up or dress down.