“Lunch with Evie!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Tea Room
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Whistling Kettle is a full service cafe and tea room with a diverse menu offering for everyone. Paninis, crepes, artisan soups, plenty of salad choices, home made scones, tea sandwiches, beer and wine and over 150+ types of tea. We also offer all our tea in bulk as well as a full line of merchandise.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Lunch with Evie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had a great lunch with my famous wife! Great food...the quiche, the red pepper soup, salad....so good! Don't forget the french press coffee!

Schenectady, New York
“Quaint experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have frequented this tea house often & always enjoyed the variety & selection of teas & food. Quiche is especially tasty as are the paninis. Desserts are yummy! The center tables are rather cramped & crowded, but still a fun place to have lunch.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scotia, New York
“Good service, good food, amazing teas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Strawberry kiwi and lemon soufflé iced teas began our lunch. We had the vegetarian panini with kettle salad. Both very good. We plan to stop back soon.

Niskayuna, New York
“Cute place, good food, great tea selection but ridiculous policy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had been here several times for tea and scones or lunch and always been very pleased. Unfortunately the last time I was here was a very unpleasant experience. I was with a colleague in the area and we decided to grab a working lunch. It was a cool and rainy day so the place was unusually quiet at lunch time. As you can see from the picture, the layout consists of booths around the perimeter and smaller tables sandwiched in the center of the room. We had asked for a booth, since we had some work with us, and were told booths were reserved for larger parties. I told the waitress I understood but since it was quiet that day and we needed room to work could she please allow us to sit in a booth. She denied our request so I asked to speak to the manager. A young gentlemen came out and indicated he was the manager and could he help us. I told him I hoped so and explained the situation to which he curtly responded it was policy "sorry". I then told him if that is the way they accommodate their customer's requests I would now be a "former" customer of their establishment. I get policies that make sense but when your restaurant is 25% at noon on a weekday don't you think there is room to make concessions? Off my list...

• Visited February 2013
kettle2, Owner at The Whistling Kettle, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We wish we had enough space to sit everyone exactly where they wanted to be. However we often get very busy and have to deal with limited space. Because lunch is our peak time of business, we have to maintain a consistent seating policy for the benefit of all. If any policy isn’t consistent, it creates even more problems.

We are not able to predict when we will get traffic, and many times we don't fill up until 1pm. The minute we make an exception for a party of two to sit at a booth, every party of two that comes in afterwards will ask for the same thing. Also, customers who asked to be seated in booths prior would then get upset. Because we often get a mix of groups and smaller parties of 2, we have to seat them in designated areas during our peak times, otherwise we lose almost half of our usable space which results in long wait times.

Any restaurant that is busy and small will have similar policies during their peak hours. Our cafe often gets packed, and it can be any day of the week and any time between 11-2. So an exception for one would be an exception for all. It’s either that or have customers walk out because there is too long of a wait. While we know that some customers might not understand, it’s a small sacrifice to be able to be able to accommodate everyone that visits us with a minimal wait. Our customers who wish to conduct business know to come a little later, and they have their choice of seating. We also note this on our website for anyone visiting us for the first time.
Clifton Park, NY
“NIce ladies lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to celebrate my retirement. We all got the 3 course deal. The red pepper and Gouda soup was wonderful. I had a crepe which was good. After the soup, I couldn't eat all of the crepe. I had a Godiva chocolate cheesecake for dessert (which I also took home) and it was so good. Very rich. I am not a tea drinker so I can't comment on the tea. I had the hot cider. It was rather weak so I wouldn't order it again. It was busy so service was slow but we were in no hurry so that was fine. I"d love to go again.

• Visited April 2013