“New cook, blah food” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 57 Restaurants in Baldwin
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta
“New cook, blah food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We've have been going here for years, several times a month. Since they have a new cook the food had gone down hill! We've gone back several times to see if it's any better and have been disappointed every time. This is heartbreaking as this is my favorite place to eat. I understand new cooks put their spin on recipes but it's not for the better! We've made suggestions to the owners but no change.. So sad! now we frequent NOVI instead.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Baldwin, New York
“Great Food - Great Baked Clams - However”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been going to Sal's for over 40 years - since before they moved across the street out of the building that was on a tilt. The food is very good especially the Garlic Bread with sauce. My wife and I will make a special trip for the Garlic Bread alone! Baked Clams were also great, however for the price, I don't think they could have found smaller clams - some were as small as 1" across - YES, I know small clams are tender, but for $14, they were SO SMALL (Little Necks) that we had to order 2 dozen. I am not asking for them to use Chowder Clams as we all know they are larger and tougher. How about Top Necks the type usually used for baked clams, at least then the size would warrant the price. The new owners (I think brother and sister) are some times "Penny wise and Pound foolish".
Funny thing is, I probably will go back, pay $14 and get the small clams again - they are that good!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Foxford, Ireland
“Best Baked clams in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Every time I go back to the island I need to make a couple of trips to the wander Inn-Sal's Wander Inn when it had the slanted floor down by the water. Two options -go on Tuesday for the clambake-lobster,corn on the cob etc or any other night. For me it's garlic bread, baked clams, veal parmagiana, expresso. Beautiful!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
long beach, ny
“great times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

food was excellent from beginning to end! had the stuffed shrimp, outstanding flavor, loved it! the leake's rule!! great time!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
north conway
“I love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

The food is excellent and every time I'm down on long island I stop in. We've been going to the wander inn since it first opened many years ago. I can't wait to go back and get a pizza with cousin peter

Visited February 2011