“First class all the way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Collection Abu Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
Wilderness Collection Abu Camp
You added Wilderness Collection Abu Camp to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Okavango Delta | Botswana, Botswana   |
London, United Kingdom
“First class all the way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I must say, this camp tops my list of dream camps. The staff were amazing and friendly, and I really felt like part of the family while there. Ike and Anne were so welcoming! Although I wasn't too keen on going on an elephant back safari at first, I am so happy I did! There is no way to feel more at peace with Africa. No idling motors, no creaky springs as you ride along, no bumps....silence. Amazing experience. And the bush dinner they surprised us with one night was truly 5 star! What a great experience dining in the bush..so well executed, down to the table set up, beautiful 3 course meal, and campfire with marshmallows afterward. An experience that will stick with me for the rest of my life! The sundowners were truly over the top as well. And the rooms! You know how sometimes you see a photograph of a room on a website, and when you arrive, your room is NOTHING like it? This will never happen here. We got to check out all of the rooms, and although decorated differently, each one is as spectacular as the next!

Thank you, Abu staff, for making my wildest dreams come true.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I totally agree with all 'bird h's comments. Our party of 6 was upgraded to Abu from Khwai Camp - lucky us! The camp's design and setting is at one with the landscape, the rooms are enormous and very comfortable, and the numerous opportunities to interact with the elephants were unforgettable. Loved it.

• Stayed September 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I spent two nights at Abu with a large group of friends in October. I have been to a few of the Wilderness Safari lodges before, but this was a first to Abu. Wilderness once again delivered on every level. We were greeted on the runway by a pride of lions! What a welcome. The camp is truly spectacular - quite modern, but still very 'bushy'. Being in a large group meant I could snoop in all the rooms - which are all decorated in a different style. We all agreed that each room was gorgeous, and no-one had any sense of 'room envy' at all. Slept like a log - such comfy beds.
We had delicious meals and even a pizza night. I did use the gym - great equipment and certainly the best view of any gym I have been in before.
Abu really is about the elephants and getting a sense of the extraordinary creatures they are. There is ample opportunity to ride, feed, photograph, watch them swim and have a mud bath. There is even an outside bedroom that you can book to sleep next to the elephants, which a member of our party was going to take up - but for a rather spectacular rainstorm - I am sure he would have had a wonderful night. Seeing the bush from the back of an elephant gives one a new perspective of the bush - it is so peaceful and you really do feel part of your surroundings. Certainly for me - the highlight was watching them swim. I am actually very frightened of elephants, but the guides and camp members are so knowledgeable that I was not frightened at all by the time I left.
I spent quite a bit of time lying by the pool. Magnificent setting, comfortable loungers - lovely little touches like a basket to carry your goodies and delicious biscuits with tea. Yum.
I fear we were quite a demanding and unwieldy group, but the staff managed us with wonderful humour and grace, our every need was catered for (and many a need we knew not that we had!) As always with a Wilderness Safari lodge, the impeccable service is a perfect combination of warmth and delivery. Annie and Mike, the managers, really do create a fantastic atmosphere.
Yes, Abu is expensive, but most camps are not also catering for a rather large, grey family. It is an unique opportunity to interact with these sentient creatures. There is simply nowhere else like it on earth.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My son (16) and I spent 3 nights at Abu Camp. We thought it was an unforgettably good experience. We were so well looked after, the elephants were wonderful and the bush picnics were brilliantly executed. We rode on the elephants, went in a mekoro, saw lion and hippos, and just had the most memorable time. By other camps' rates, it is expensive but considering they always have 45 staff on at any time, we thought it was excellent value for money.
Our room was very comfortable, the meals were first class, our two guides were very impressive, kind and helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ahmedabad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

it is the hotel with best hospitaliityf and great facalities. best place in the world for weekend. its give great fun.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Ahmedabad , India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Very expensive and totally not worth it. They don't understand why people visit them. Rooms were really bed. food avrage , Wild life was not there at all. the abu pride is having problems. very little wild life. good for viewing baffelow and ride a elephant..
Not at all woth it. don't go.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

although this site only allows you to date back to 2006, we were there 6/2005 and will be returning for our second visit 6/2009. The experience and memories are not able to be described in words or photos, they will however be burned in your memory for a life time. From the elephants to the fabulous sunsets on the delta......what more can be said. (P.S. tents, staff and food terrific too)

Stayed June 2006

Been to Wilderness Collection Abu Camp? Share your experiences!