“Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
andBeyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp
You added andBeyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp to your Saves list
Moremi Game Reserve Border, Botswana   |
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We spent 2 nights at this camp. This was our first Safari Camp and can recommend & Beyond. They have great service, Guides are fantastic and go out of their way to try to ensure you see as much Wild life as possible. The service was excellent. We did feel a little pressure to change our activity option because they already had 1 boat full. But they did accommodate us. The accommodation in the tented rooms is excellent.
The food compared to our other &beyond camps was on the small portion size and bland.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Booking just one month in advance (excellent service from &Beyond travel planner), we were lucky enough to spend two nights at this amazing lodge in the Okavango Delta by the end of April.

Even though it was a short stay, Patrick (the manager at this camp) was really helpful and accommodating. We planned with him our two days and went on game drives, motor boat and even had a memorable night drive after dinner.

Our ranger Palo and tracker Kenny were brilliant, and really passionate about their job. Never in a hurry and always willing to offer more than you could expect. We had incredible sightings: wild dogs feasting on a young red lechwe, spotted hyenas at their den, lions stalking and chasing zebras, hippos grazing in the evening out of the water and lots more.

We really liked the way they tracked the animals and how every drive was conducted, sometimes lasting for more than five hours. As for the motor boat, we did enjoy the most beautiful sunset and learnt about the flora in the Okavango Delta (as you need to reach the boat station, you are also having a short game drive on each way, which is nice).

The staff was very helpful and we will never forget the bush dinner they prepared after the evening game drive. The fire, the lights, and the singing...in that incredible setting. Good to know that we were always offered a table for two, lunch and dinner.

Accommodation was excellent in a tent with all the comforts. All in all, a great experience, which we are already planning to repeat.

Thank you to all the Nxabega family for a memorable stay!

Room Tip: Rooms 7 to 9 seem to have better views and you will avoid hearing the generator
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Ever since I came to Africa I wanted to visit the Okovango Delta. Last month we made the trip. It's a fly in, so you get to see the delta from the air. The camp is not new, it's established and hidden away. It's the lap of luxury in a tent. The setting is beautiful. The tents are lavish, the food and service superb, but the best of the best are the guides. It's not "canned", they don't know where all the interesting animals are all the time, but they work as a team and keep in touch, so if you have the desire to see something specific, they will do their very best to find it for you. We wanted Leopard, and on the second morning they found one, it was a long and bumpy ride, but oh so worth it, we spent about half an hour in the company of a beautiful female. We were fortunate to have two guides called Pahlo and Richard, friendly, knowledgable and obviously in love with what they do
They don't just offer game drives, we spent an afternoon on the water in a smallish boat, my only complaint was a lack of shade, but you can't have everything, what we did have was Hippo's at sunset. Brilliant, it's not cheap, so save up and go, it's worth every penny

Room Tip: All very good
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had a truly wonderful stay at Nxabega. Patrick and his team are truly first-rate. The tent is hardly an average tent and is very luxurious. The food was exceptional and some of the best food we had on safari- which is really saying something. The grounds are beautiful- the patio where food is served and the pool overlook a beautiful scene and are great places for birdwatching. We also saw wonderful animals including finally a leopard!

The only thing that wasn't excellent was our guide. We had had two wonderful guides at our previous lodges (Chobe and Savute Under Canvas) so we had high expectations for our third and final guide at Nxabega. Unfortunately, he was obsessed with chasing the big game- sometimes even when we (all four of the passengers) said we were more interested in seeing giraffes, baboons, or birds. He also drove incredibly fast which was a tad uncomfortable. At one point, we found ourselves chasing Wild Dog for the entire game drive despite our requests to stop and admire other interesting animals. Unlike our other guides, too, he didn't tell us tons of facts about various flora and fauna we saw along the way- at most, just a quick identification and zoom off to the next attempt at seeing a lion. Of course, I am being a bit picky, and if he hadn't been our third guide after two extremely excellent guides, we might not have noticed.

The mokoro and the boat ride are very fun excursions and not to be missed! I would definitely return here and recommend it to others, overall, but I do wish a few things had been different with our guide because everything else with this camp and all of & Beyond was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was our 3rd camp in our Botswana adventure, we found each camp different, however all where excellent! Botswana and &beyond group is my favourite travel experience to date! I will book with them again and am already dreaming of where we can go next! The highlights at Nxabega as with the other camps where the incredible warm friendly people, we laughed till we cried, we sang and danced and enjoyed all that the experience offered us! The highlights at Nxabega.. the bush dinner with the watching hyenas and the breakfast in the middle of the butterfly migration! A great big thank you again to Cleo for arranging our trip... and at Nxabega, to Sandra, Kux and BT for such an excellent experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed in 3 &beyond camps (The others were Chobe Under Canvas & Xaranna) during my trip to Botswana. Nxabega was the best out of all!

PEOPLE - the very important element to me for a good stay! The manager, Patrick and his team did a great job and really went that extra mile to offer us a great memory. Patrick himself took us fishing by the river, which we saw a hippo before got off the 4x4. He also organised Cecilia (therapist) to do a massage for myself and another lady while the men were fishing!
Our guide - Kux, was a honest person and shared lots of his experiences on hunting, being a guide... He teamed up well with BT (the ranger) to track the animals. During the wet seasons, it is really unlike a game drive in Kenya during dry seasons that tons of animals are right in front of you. We enjoyed Kux and BT inputting their passion on tracking so that we could see more - the leopard, wild dogs...

Food was great! Especially the brunch after morning game drive, offering a mini buffet like assortments for each couple or group. The camp fire dinner was another great one that we were taken to a secret spot for drinks and dinner after a game drive. A long table sat all guests and everyone shared their experiences on safaris.

This is one of &beyond camps that one should never miss.

• Stayed March 2014
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Overall I liked the Nxabega camp: nice facility, friendly staff, good food. I would have given it 5 stars if it had not been a safari place.

During my trip I visited 4 different andBeyond properties so I could compare ranger service I received. In Nxabega it was the worst.

In chronological order, as soon as I was met, my guide told me that I would go on a boat ride in the evening. Just to clarify, you can have a safari drive, a boat ride or a mokoro ride in Nxabega. And it is a guest who decides what s/he wants. However my guide made a statement as if it had been all decided. And even when I actually asked him if there were other options he just asked back why I did not want to go on a boat ride. So it took me a few minutes to get a confirmation from a ranger that I could choose my evening activity myself. It was not a big deal, but not good for the start.

Second, one morning we spent an hour and a half looking for wild dogs and we actually found them so I asked a guide if we would be able to try to find them the next day. And he replied that he would not put as much effort again. Please note I was the only passenger in the vehicle so we would not sacrifice any other wishes or preferences. Luckily, dogs were found on the next day by another ranger so we were able to join.

And finally here is the most painful thing for me: on the last evening we were one hour late for our evening drive. We were waiting for other guests to take a shower after arrival. All other lodges were solving issues like this by bringing guests later by a spare vehicles or by leaving them behind. And it is a part of ranger responsibilities to coordinate this. My ranger did not make any slightest effort. I know for some people safari is not quite important part, but for me it is the most important thing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to andBeyond Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp? Share your experiences!